Video Files on Forum ×

Midi lags when chaning rhythm variation in DAW

r_1159

Hello everyone 

I believe I had reported this issue with CTX. So the rhythm lags when chaning from one variation to another in DAW. It has a sudden stop as soon as the variation is changed and then the rest of recorded rhythm beomes totally out of grid. 

Any fix to this issue ?

When you say with a DAW, do you mean you are trying to record the rhythm accompaniment parts with variations to DAW as a midi file, then play this back into the Casio, or are you using your computer's soundcard or a virtual synth to play back the auto-arrangement parts? This sounds like another USB foobar-as casio_style said. The arranger parts have alot going on midi data wise-several tracks plus all the possible cc and program/bank changes that might be going on. Might just be too much for the USB-I'm assuming you are using a USB midi connection, and not a midi din connection since I don't think the CTX's have midi din. Trouble with this d*** USB stuff-the cables were never designed for too much data going in both directions-were designed for printers, cameras, scanners where data did not have to go very fast in either direction-and the USB connectors never were designed for error-correction-2 way in and out. Unless the USB drivers are designed real well, there will be problems like this. I don't know how fast the CTX CPU is, but i would 'guess" this is more of a USB connectivity problem than a CTX CPU but I could be wrong.  How to solve this...maybe a beefier USB cable if there is such a thing...what computer are you using, and which DAW? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

i would 'guess" this is more of a USB connectivity problem than a CTX CPU but I could be wrong.  How to solve this...maybe a beefier USB cable if there is such a thing...what computer are you using, and which DAW? 

This would new my guess as well. We'd need to know more about your setup.

10 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

When you say with a DAW, do you mean you are trying to record the rhythm accompaniment parts with variations to DAW as a midi file, then play this back into the Casio, or are you using your computer's soundcard or a virtual synth to play back the auto-arrangement parts? This sounds like another USB foobar-as casio_style said. The arranger parts have alot going on midi data wise-several tracks plus all the possible cc and program/bank changes that might be going on. Might just be too much for the USB-I'm assuming you are using a USB midi connection, and not a midi din connection since I don't think the CTX's have midi din. Trouble with this d*** USB stuff-the cables were never designed for too much data going in both directions-were designed for printers, cameras, scanners where data did not have to go very fast in either direction-and the USB connectors never were designed for error-correction-2 way in and out. Unless the USB drivers are designed real well, there will be problems like this. I don't know how fast the CTX CPU is, but i would 'guess" this is more of a USB connectivity problem than a CTX CPU but I could be wrong.  How to solve this...maybe a beefier USB cable if there is such a thing...what computer are you using, and which DAW? 

Yes I record a normal midi file with the rhythm accompaniment parts to DAW and I use a printer cable. This happens during recording when chaning variations. I tried different cables but same issue. I use cake walk by band lab. I may upload a video here later. 

Cheers 

If there is a way to test USB data transfer rates in real time-not just the type of data such as does Midiox, I would be interested to see a factual assessment and comparison between USB ports on various keyboards, controllers etc. 

I know what these are supposed to be theoretically, but if anyone knows of a software or hardware measuring tool that could test these rates, post it here. I bet its pretty slow across the board. USB was never designed for the amount of data needed by many music functions, its there because it is cheaper. Even my old Atari 520ST-FM had midi din ports-and I was able to record, play and transfer data with no problems, even on a machine that would be considered non-functional today-but it wasn't. When I first tried USB connections for music, I was surprised it worked at all, with anything. Unfortunately without a din port option, there is not much an end-user can do-even with the best of systems-if the hardware isn't there, it isn't there. Even with a super-powerful CPU-the bottleneck is the USB connection, it is a serial protocol running through some pretty thin wires and connectors. Baud rates for serial connections are basically the same din or usb, but din has dedicated UARTs for error-checking, buffering and optoisolators for-well-isolating-garbage in the line. USB keyboards don't have any of this-it was never a part of the design, for computers, printers or anything else. I'd be delighted and surprised to see any of this kind of circuitry in any USB interface. Casio is just doing what everybody else is doing. Most musicians using controller keyboards won't have problems with a USB connection because a controller is not typically sending/receiving multiple tracks of midi data in and out of a computer unless it is a professional workstation, not a controller which is designed to output one track at a time, or cc or sysex messages. Not too demanding a task, and all i would ever really expect any USB music device to be capable of.

This is a interesting bit of tech info re USB, reiterates what I've described, and compares firewire-which I've used for video streaming-I have kept several older laptops with firewire interfaces specifically for the reasons that are described by Presonus. Actually, after all the audio lag I've gotten with a Behringer USB audio interface-I've decided to step backwards-to a firewire audio interface, just for giggles. not much more expensive than a USB, but then this is a discussion of midi usb not audio, and there are no keyboards I know of that ever had a firewire rather than a USB midi interface. needs different drivers too. Too bad, might have been a better idea.....

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046023-Should-I-choose-a-FireWire-or-USB-audio-interface-

Nice thought Jokeman, Firewire unfortunately as a format at this point is dead. There were a few keyboard products that supported Firewire audio directly. I was actually involved directly with the development of mLan (Kurzweil / Presonus / Yamaha) and other Firewire products for years.

USB is fast enough - the MIDI Spec still is the ultimate bottle neck. Doesn't matter if it is USB 2, 3 or anything else. MIDI has a set transfer "baud rate" even if it is running on a faster "pipe". 

Give me a few days to dig into this issue and try to replicate in on my end and then report to Japan.

• Like 2

Issue not related to USB speed at all.

MIDI port speed is about 31250 bytes/sec or something like that. It was handled ok by PC's 40 years ago already.

The issue is with Casio itself. And it is not related to DAW.

Same midi file, same DAW, plays just fine on Yamaha PSR E-413.

I posted a sample midi file here couple of month ago.

46 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

Hope for some solution, seems like my separate post about exactly same issue was not enough :D

Sorry Alex, I wasn't aware. Been busier than ever and unfortunately I don't think anyone ever reported anything to Casio customer service. 

• Like 2

Assuming baud rate is bits/sec and not bytes/sec, then MIDI port speed becomes about 31250 bits/second. With start, stop and parity bits (if indeed required by the MIDI standard), actual bytes/second would be about 3kBytes. Is the Casio keyboard acting as the host? If so, then as Just Alex mentioned above, it is not related to DAW.