Video Files on Forum ×

How to export drums (accompaniment) as MIDI

CasioCTK

On my MZ X-300 in Midi Recorder I have recorded just drums part of an accompaniment. Then through Media - Save - MIDI Recording SMF I saved .mid file to USB stick. That file has some 3 kB and when played on computer, there can be heard some drums, but no note is displayed in Anvil Studio or MidiEditor. Even when looking at midi events, there are midi events for 1 bar only there. I don't know how to visualize that somewhere in that file existing drums sound in Anvil Studio or elsewhere.

What have I done incorrectly and how can I export drums part of an accompaniment in midi format correct way? Many thanks for any help in advance.

Maybe you need to scroll down if you are using the "piano roll" screen or even the note screen. I know with Midieditor-it displays notes in a very strange, almost hidden way, unless you scroll all the way down in your list of tracks. The drums will not show up unless you do, since the drum channel might be in track 10, although as Brad said if you used the system track-not sure which channels you need to look for.  Anvil Studio will display the same way. According to the MZ-X manual-although the system track will play midi channels 1-4, it will send out auto-arranger midi data through channels 9-16, 10 being the drum only channel. This is the typical design for most of the Casios I know about with auto-arranger rhythms. So if you recorded the arranger rhythm with a DAW-it will (if your DAW can, not all do) record all 8 midi channels at once, based upon the channel assignments within the MZ-X, and these are fixed in the keyboard but can be changed in your software. So see if you can find track or channel 10 in your software, that "should be" where your drum notes/recording should reside. If you tried to record more than one measure and only one measure recorded-this could be that the midi data "choked" or stopped on the way to the Daw, or within the DAW. Try it again with a new recording, and also make sure your midi connection is secure. Sometimes usb connections can get a little "flaky" with auto-arranger recordings, its alot to process in one recording  run or pass. i say this because your Casio may still be sending all 8 auto-arranger midi channels out even if you trying to record only the drums track.  How have you separated the drum track from the rest of the auto-arranger rhythm program? I think there is a setting in the menu that can allow for all 8 auto-arranger channels to be sent in one recording, or only the track you want. Not sure, I only have the PX-560 to compare, no MZ-X but there are many similarities.

Thank you Brad and Jokeyman123.
In Anvil Studio I found 8 bars full of pauses in Track 11, Channel 10. The only idea I got when looking at those pauses was to copy and paste them again into the same track and channel to see what will happen. And guess what happened - I saw 8 bars with notes followed by 8 bars full of pauses only. And when playing that track, those bars with notes sounded with normal volume and those with pauses only sounded with low volume.

Anyway this is the way (at least for me) how to process drums recorded in MIDI.