Video Files on Forum ×

Problems w/Audacity Recognizing Midi Recorded Songs

Ingrid Unterseher

All I need to do is transfer the music I've recorded (with several layered tracks) to my computer from USB thumbdrive.  The ZMF and Mid file formats are not recognized.  Audacity and other players will play the midi file but only one of the solo tracks, not the layered songs I have spent hours on.  Help - this is why I got this model as it was promised this would be easy and I've spent many hours.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best,

"New Kid on the Casio Block"

Midi files are data-not audio. Audacity is primarily for audio editing of wavfiles as Joe said-and will only pocess 2 audio tracks for stereo at a time-you need a full DAW that can load multiple tracks of midi data into a computer-and if you need to transfer wav. audio files to the computer-some DAWs "Digital Audio Workstation" can do both. Audacity can import midi tracks-I just tried one-but I have not been able to play these back at all Joe even with Coolsoft's virtual synth. I don't see any feature in the software that let's me connect it to a softsynth or any midi out connection at all-only Microsoft's audio out mapper.

And Ingrid-google midi recording software to find a program that is specifically for loading, playing and editing or recording midi files from the computer. Anvil Studio is freeware and works well. "Midi Editor" is also freeware and pretty well designed for midi files. i also use an old version of Cakewalk if you can find it-or Bandlab which is the newest freeware version of Cakewalk. Even Yamaha's XGWorks is a great piece of software for playing, editing and recording midi files regardless of what keyboard you use, and there are many other, paid and freeware. 

I really appreciate your assistance and information.  Perhaps in my frustration of not being able to provide a recorded file by deadline last night I wasn't clear.  I have recorded music and now need to send it via my computer to be used as background for a presentation.  I don't need to manipulate it at all in Audacity, I just thought it may be able to convert the files to something usable.  Are you telling me there is no way to save it on a thumbdrive as a usable file?  This is one of the main reasons I got this keyboard - I will have to return it if it doesn't do what I need.  

Joe - I have tried using the audio recorder but it does not allow the layering of tracks that I can do in Midi.  Since I have had only several sessions on this keyboard perhaps I'm not understanding the manual correctly.  If that is the case, then I'll re-record only the piano track and send that.  I was hoping to be able to send the layered tracks.