Video Files on Forum ×

Navigating while performing/ long question post

oildrops

I made it through the Companion, watched all of the funnzie tutorials several times, and read through the FAQ on here. Please excuse my questions if I missed obvious things. The sequencer control tracks unlock a lot of potential of this keyboard. I have a few questions about how things are connected, and some issues I've run into. Maybe there are workarounds I missed from the manuals, or limitations I need to avoid.

A tip that I learned: when selecting a control track parameter, stop the step sequencer from playing before scrolling, or it will alter the track it's affecting and leave it set. This is apparent if you scroll past the volume or tempo parameter. Okay for my questions:

1: Is there a way to change sequence patterns while in performance mode? If I am playing an arpeggio on zone 2, then switch to sequencer to change the pattern, it stops zone 2 from playing. Similarly, opening the mixer while in Performance mode stops the sound from zone 2. Is there a way to have access to mixer controls in order to change track volumes, turn channels on and off via the sequencer buttons, etc while also, for example playing an arpeggio from zone 2 in a performance?

2: When I load up a performance, I need to change Channel 1 to Solo Synth in the mixer in both Performance and Step Sequencer, despite having saved the setting in both. I must be missing something with the saving process.

3: I am still confused by DSP effects. I understand reverb is independent, and I can either use chorus or DSP, but can I use delay on the solo synth and chorus on a PCM tone in the same performance? In order to get chorus on most tones it seems necessary to edit the tone, increase the chorus level, then save it as a user tone. Only then does the chorus effect work. 

4: This is minor, but what do the Step+ and Step- buttons do? I can't find any information about what they do and I've never seen anyone use them in the hours of video I've watched.

5: How do I change the selection of notes that are assigned to the sliders in the Step Sequencer? I end up hitting a slider and it's usually out of key when it changes a note.

6: I've been trying to make a hex layer with different organ tones, and I'm experiencing overdrive/overloading when tones are combined despite setting the level being set low. My monitors are good, and I get the same issue with my headphone as low levels. Any solutions?

Another tip: the PCM drum tones sound pretty nice going into a boost pedal. I'm using a jfet based overdrive/preamp, and it turns the somewhat dull bass drum into resonant analog sounding drums. It's very surprising the content that is there that just needs an "exciter".

• oildrops changed the title to Navigating while performing/ long question post

Wow, you just reminded me how "rusty" I am with my XW-will have to look these over. the only one I know offhand-the step buttons-one function is related to creating a "chain" of patterns from a variety of sequences. From within one sequence of course you can record and switch around from up to 8 different patterns-but if you want to go beyond that-to "chaining entire sequences together to play through without pushing any buttons, you must first create a "chain" and save it as that chain. threw me for a long time until I finally figured that out. I have posts about that here from a few years ago. Notice that even in all this-nobody mentions that the "step" keys are used to create "steps" in your chain-not your pattern! The manual makes this perfectly unclear...which is why it tokk several of us quite awhile-I think I was the poor soul who stumbled on this bit of "hidden" function and started all this trouble. and i forget right now-but I believe the step keys have another function, don't remember what that is. As far as the rest of he questions....maybe the others will pitch in soon, i have to review a few things. for question #1-I don't think there is a way to switch sequences within a performance-none of the factory sequences do this. there might be a way using one of the control change sequencer tracks and programming that track to switch to a different sequence, but I don't recall ever having done it. and I've only changed mixer settings "live" from sequencer mode, not performance but there might be a way I never discovered.

There is another trick I discovered and posted when we were figuring all this out way back when. Not directly a solution to what you are asking-but a performance can be designed so that you can play up to 4 different "phrases" simultaneously-with 4 different tones-in 4 different zones-and create an entire 4-part arrangement and save it as one performance. This could be handy as a "phrase" can be as long as you need it to be-I forgot how long a phrase can be but is definitely capable of being much longer than a sequencer recording unless you "chain" your sequences. I never tried this with 4 separate arpeggios in a performance though. I think it can be done but don't remember, there may be a limitation of one arpeggio in a performance. Have to review all my info and old posts!

On 5/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, oildrops said:

I understand reverb is independent, and I can either use chorus or DSP, but can I use delay on the solo synth and chorus on a PCM tone in the same performance?

I think you answered your own question.  Delay is DSP.  You can use chorus or DSP, not both.  

@Jokeyman123 That's helpful thanks! What I'm trying to do is have an arp playing as a way to transition between parts. Making chains is a solution. Or, stay in step sequencer mode and access zones 1-4 individually in the mixer. Or enter mixer mode and select channel 2 before I start playing the arp, then I can mute and un-mute tracks.

@Brad Saucier Thanks that's what I thought, I get one DSP choice that I can apply to as many channels as I want, but can't have two different DSP effects on two different instruments, and once I turn DSP on for one channel I lose chorus on every channel. All of the menus that include DSP on/off make it confusing. I sometimes can't figure out why I'm not getting the effect.

Oildrops.

Rediscovering my G1 in recent times and stumbled across your post. I can try to give a few responses (number 7 was really the one I had any insight into as I had recently looked this up myself, but I think I have one other explicit answer, and with clarification I may be able to assist further on some others.). I am in a bit of a hurry, so apologies if any have already been answered or for a any references to external sources rather than explicit responses.

1. Doing what you describe does not stop the Arp on zone 2 on my G1. A possible difference in functionality, but perhaps I am missing something in the description of the issue (can someone else with a G1 confirm they have the same result as Oildrops). I would ask, however (and I realise this MAY sound a bit daft to ask, but I am assuming that you "need" more patterns than the 8 assigned to the pattern pads, or are you changing patterns in the way described just as a preference?

2. Can you expand on this. I understand what you are saying you need to do, but not really sure what "isn't" happening if you do not do the process described. For example, is either the solo synth being played from the keys, or the sequencer track assigned to the solo synth not sounding if you do not do the steps you describe? 

3. I believe from my quick scan that this was answered.

5 (What happened top 4?) When in "Step Edit" the + and - moves the focus up and down each step for individual step editing.

Step + and - is also used for changing parameters in various editing modes.

7. (No 6 either?) I'd be surprised if this wasn't in the P1 manual (but I guess it is possible the two devices operate differently in this regard) but IF not in the P1 manual, have a look at the G1 manual to see if the note assignment of the sliders is the same, as it is clearly described in there.

8. No Hex here on the G1, so I have no insight to offer, sorry.

Still trying to figure out question number 8-distortion with hex layer organs...I haven't experienced that myself. some of the organ tones have distortion as part of the tone-Casio designs tones that way, embeds  DSP on some of-not all the factory tones to enhance the tone. I will have to check, but at least one XW organ tone has a distortion DSP I think as part of the tone-you can add distortion as an independent tone also. I'm pretty sure the G1 nd P1 use similr basic organ tones.

So when you are combining organ tones in a hex layer-possibly you are "overdriving" the distortion built into the existing individual organ tone or tones. In other words, could there be more than one "distortion" effect now being activated in the hex layer-I will try this today, see if I can duplicate the problem.  if true, this might be why you are getting excessive distortion-some users have complined about this with the XW-tht the orgn distortion effect is too excessive, or not realisitc enough. Obviously those musicians have never had to play for 4 hours within 2 feet of a real overdriven Leslie, or 2. I have!! What did you say???? How about with a ring modulator attached to the Hammond, at ten, with 2 Leslies-ask RobEOne-he did it all the time...but i still love him...I think. :hitt:

@CairnsFella Sorry about the numbering, I guess after editing my original post I deleted questions but didn't update the numbering. That's interesting that you can play an arp pattern in performance mode and keep the arp going while navigating between modes, I wasn't able to get it working.

@Jokeyman123 Yeah, the distortion would come in when layering organ tones even at low volumes. I'll have to go back in and see what DSP is happening, but all the organ PCM sounds I was using were clean and I had DSP off in the main effects mixer.