Video Files on Forum ×

[POLL] Spare parts enquiry for the oldest model Privia being ignored by Shriro Australia. Share your experience in your country!

Share your Casio experience  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long do you own your Casio digital piano?

• 1-2 Year
    • 3-5 Years
    • 5+ Years
  2. 2. Which component does need a repair?

• PCB: Main board, power supply or amplification related
    • PCB: Contact sensor under the keys
    • Hammer action and/or key parts
    • Body panels, knobs and/or accessories
    • Other. e.g. It is just broken and I have no clue
  3. 3. Was your digital piano being repaired successfully?

• Yes, they were very helpful and patience
    • No, I ended up DIY-ing and it may go to the landfill

This poll is closed to new votes

Dear Casio community,

I would like to share my Casio experience in Australia.

I have a 15 years old PX-100 and I need a new PCB and hammer felts 🔨. It have the well-known clicky-clanky action due to tappered felts and sometime it has a long delay (>5s) start-up (perhaps due to a failing electronic component e.g. chopper regulator).

Shriro Australia Pty. Ltd. is the official Casio support representative in Australia. They did not respond to my email regarding spare parts enquiry for my PX-100 for weeks. Maybe they are just that slow 🐌, , lack of staff, unable to locate the service manual PDF or simply L.A.Z.Y.

For curiousity, I decided to give them a call. I was so surprised that they said only selling power adapters, power cables 🔌  and music rests as per their website: https://casioservice.shriro.com.au/collections/electronic-musical-instrument-spares - They also refused to recommend/sell any alternative parts. Instead, they referred me to an authorised repair shop located almost 60kms distance from Sydney CBD. This particular shop were not interested in selling parts and agitated to help. Basically, he stated a clear message that I am on my own.

I was giving up dealing with Casio and their repair shops. I was thinking might be better to go to Bunnings (a hardware store) to get some felt tapes for DIY solution.

"Due to age, the part is no longer available and we cannot recommend from a different model. We can only refer you to a repair shop. They may be able to work something out for you." said Shriro Australia.

Regarding the failing PCB, I will enjoy the Privia until it will not turn on or maybe getting a second hand parts from eBay.

And about the clicky-clanky action, I was reading an article of someone used a Yamaha Clavinova felts and I did it. Contacted Yamaha, ordered the parts and arrived in my door step within a week. After a felt replacement, the action is as quiet as the Clavinovas 🎹  . If you have second thought about this and your Privia is out of warranty, don't hesistate to do it.

"We do not sell parts. You can bring your keyboard here and we open it for a fee." said a Casio repair shop within 60kms distance from Sydney CBD.

As much as I love Casio's price & quality ratio and this great community forum, sadly this PX-100 will be my last Casio experience. I am withdrawing my intention to buy an award winning PX-5S pro keyboard for my home studio and/or live rig.

Music lovers usually will keep their beloved digital pianos for a minimum of 5 years and we will do our best to perform any simple repair, like myself.

Ask yourself what would you do if your Privia or Grand Hybrid need a maintenance repair after 5 years and your local Casio responded 'We no longer have parts'? Yamaha and Roland stocked older parts and selling parts to myself.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Casio digital pianos to a friend or relative, until I can buy genuine spare parts directly from Casio and being helpful assisting older model owners.

Please share your Casio support experience in your country. I would love to hear it.

Happy weekend and keep playing with anything. :keys:

• Reg MidiStage changed the title to [POLL] Spare parts enquiry for the oldest model Privia being ignored by Shriro Australia. Share your experience in your country!

Is this poster allowed to post this "poll"? This seems problematic to me-another form of "flaming" disguised as a "poll"? This post seems intrusive and manipulative, doesn't seem appropriate to post this here. How I handle customer support with Casio or anyone else is my business and should not be on a public forum. 

15 years old is well beyond any reasonable manufacturer long term support. I don't think there is any electronic instrument/ device that has support for that long.

Some manufacturers have an old inventory of spares that they keep "just in case", but many models get beyond 10 years old and manufacturers dump/ offload their spares, often to third parties. It certainly isn't right to criticize a manufacturer for not carrying or making spares for a model long out of production.

FWIW, in the decades that I've owned dozens of Casios/ Casiotones, only one has ever died on me (an HT6000 that I have yet to investigate the fault). I have many Casios from the early 1980s that still work absolutely fine.

I really cannot see any useful purpose for this poll that only seems to set out to attack a regional authorized service center for not carrying spares for a long obsolete model.

• Like 1

PX-100 was manufactured in 2003. No you can't get parts for one nor could you get parts for nearly any other musical instrument that is that old that needs a main board replacement. You won't be able to get parts for a Yamaha P-60 which was manufactured at the same time either. 

Your poll to be fair should also include - options which states:

Which component needs repair = NONE.  

I personally have a collection of Casio keyboards here some of which are 30-40 years old. Most are working perfectly.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your PX-100. If you're interested in continuing to play it you'd have to either learn something about checking the PCB yourself or picking up another for spare parts. 

On a side note - I'm an avid photographer in my spare time. I was reading a thread about someone who bought a $4000 Canon camera and got sand and salt water on it and he was upset that Canon wouldn't repair it under warranty or outside of the warranty...under the same conditions no other camera brand would repair a camera in that case. You can't undo the damage that salt water can cause. 

My point is - you've started a thread about an instrument that was manufactured 18 years ago. The PCB could be failing for any number of environment or other reasons but manufacturers including Roland, Yamaha, Korg and others simply don't carry parts for products that are that old. Look at this forum, search on Google - do you have any idea how many PX-100 were made? Your problem is unfortunate and is rare. I'm sorry it has happened to you but it may be time to look towards a new instrument.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Yeahhh, I'm working on my Chevy made in 2003.  Guess what, OE parts are hard to find.  Go figure.  It's old.  🤷🏻‍♂️

My Chevy was made in 1986. It's older than many of the people manning the parts counter in a Chevy dealers! 😂

Parts are nigh on impossible to find at a dealership, and used parts prices are expensive when they turn up for sale because of rarity and classic car status. It would be cheaper and easier to find spares for a PX100! 😝

20170221_170738.thumb.jpg.3d02897f65cc66c5e3b6a6fd4549756c.jpg

• Like 2

This is a restoration, can't be stock? I know the wheels are mags of some kind-is this the original paint or did you have redone? I don't remember the snout looking like that in 86, this looks modified but i could be wrong. Years back I drove a 73 Monte Carlo with the landau top-all tricked out-for almost 200,000 miles. Only car I ever got a speeding ticket with. 350 V8, great powerplant. 

@Jokeyman123- as Brad said above, my Monte Carlo is an all original SS (Super Sport) model, apart from the repaint. Mag wheels are original too (fitted to 1986 models and onward, 1983 - 1985 SS models had steel 'Sports' wheels). 4th gen 'G Body' Monte Carlos were offered as a NASCAR influenced 'SS' version from 1983 - 1987, and came with the high output 305 V8 and also uprated front and rear suspension over standard models. Standard Monte Carlos with the flat front end styling ran from 1981, and were offered with a lower output 305 V8 or a V6.

My SS is a fun car, if a little primitive by today's standards. It's also the closest I could afford to getting a real muscle car, as the likes of late 60s/ early 70s Chargers, Roadrunners, 'Cudas, Camaros, Mustangs etc. are all way out of my budget.

Still, I love it and it gets quite a bit of attention from people who remembered them from back in the day. And to the frustration of both Monte Carlo and Regal owners, many mistake it for a Buick Grand National (and many Grand Nationals get mistaken for a Monte Carlo SS!)