Video Files on Forum ×

Privia PX 410r stopped working

Hello,

I have a maybe 15-year-old model that was rarely used but always worked just fine.

Tofay I played it, went through some different sounds and wanted to switch it off.

But it wouldnt power off but showed some number on the display and didnt react anymore.

So I had to disconnect the power and after switching it back on it went into some weird setting, with most buttons not reacting and not playing a sound.

I tried all the troubleshooting tips from the manual without success.

Any ideas what I could do here?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Daniel

Can you check the voltage coming from the power supply? I have the PX575, same model different number. These are pretty beefy supplies-could be a marginal connection at the barrel plug end if you ar lucky. I've had no problems like this for years with mine. does the display still light up, are getting anything on the display at all? Evn could be the power supply jack inside-the solder connections can crack easily-giving you enough power to get some functions to work, but might behave like this if it isn't getting full power. This older Casio need a bit of amperage to work properly. and check to see if any of the chicklet buttons are stuck-sometimes its easy for this to happen-usually won't cause a complete foobar like this, but is possible. i have trouble with the + button-gets stuck down, i have to pop it up with a thin-blade knife if I don't hit it right. As always, i think there is a factory reset on this but you've probably tried that already. You need an "alldata" file-and the IDES 4.0 Casio software to transfer it into the PX-this will supposedly restore the PX410. I think you can transfer this alldata filefrom the SD card too, but not sure. I've saved it from mine if you need it, its a .ckf file. I can upload it here if you want to try that. the problem is-when a keyboard sits unused for a long time-or even not so long-caps can dry up and cause all kinds of grief. and I'm again not sure, but this might have a backup battery in it-and this might have failed without power connected for a long time. I know mine will store samples I've created when its switched off, so I suspect there is a backup battery that holds that sample memory, and may also be holding the bootup firmware for this keyboard, and although that should be "hard-wired"-if the battery is bad, will now act as a resistor-and possibly screw up the bootup sequence. Hope you can get it fixed, these are nice classic Casios.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I cannot access this thread when I'm logged in

@Jokeyman123

Thanks again for your help, it took me a while to check my power adapter and it did seem like it was broken.

So I got a new one, much smaller, same voltage of course and 200mA instead of 1500mA that the old original one had, put the old plug on the new power supply but it still won' work.

The display lights up as it did before, it shows "009", the Mic Echo LED lights up and the DSP button does aswell.

It somehow seems I can press more buttons and functions than I could before, at some point it still freezes and never makes a sound.

PRessing the power button always freezes it completely.

So my next steps: Could you please send me the file I need to reset it or to reinstall the OS.

Also any info on how to do that is much appreciated, the manual doesn't really help here.

Also is the battery easily accessible?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel_K

200mA is not enough to power this Casio-you wil need 1500mA to get this to work. This is the reason these Casio supplies are so beefy, and why you are getting partial functionality. There is no file to re-install the OS, it is "hard-wired" into this Casio but there is a factory reset function, there are a few options-from a partial reset for the mixer to a full reset. Look at page E-71 in the manual to see how to do this. I could never find the original factory CD disk for this-but all it does is restore the original factory preset songs, but the tones and other settings will all still be intact. Any of your user tones or registrations, samples-anything you've changed or edited will be deleted by a factory restore. I don't think you will need to do that-you need to use the correct Casio supply-I think this will solve your problems-for these older Casios, I would get the original Casio supply, maybe more expensive but worth it. As far as the battery, I can't help on that one-i found it difficult to get this one apart and again, you may not need to install a new battery, mine still has the origina, it still stores backup user settings fine. As far as the manual-you need to go into the "settings" in the 575 menu using the arrow cursor buttons-tricky but its all there-this is also called the 410R by Casio-but it is the same keyboard.

Edited by Jokeyman123

@Jokeyman123

Thanks a lot!

Man, I am so sorry, I got a 2000mA (two thousand) power supply and managed to put a typo where it really mattered.

So my power supply is still very small, I rhink we connected it correctly, it delivers 2A and I was told that a power supply thats too strong wont matter.

I will give the reset a try and let you know.

Thanks so much!!!

@Jokeyman123

Unfortunately it is not reacting to the Transpose/Function button, the three Mixer, Synth and Effect buttons right underneath are not reacting either.

Most of the other stuff I can press and see a reaction until some point where it freezes. 

It also produced some every broken sound crackles when I pressed some keys.

Any more ideas what else I could try and do?

It's hard to say. Assuming you have the correct sized power supply it could be anything from poor solder connections to bad capacitors or some other component has failed. A lot of times when the main board fails you see Please Wait in the display and it never boots up but you seem to be getting past that. For what it's worth the PX-575 was the North American version of this board. I owned one of these and loved it.

Edited by Casiofun

The only other diagnosis I can think of from afar-without disassembly-this can happen when keyboards or other similar devices are left in storage for awhile-caps can dry up if these aren't re-energized somewhat regularly-it could also be a bad internal battery which can act as a short if it no longer can hold a charge, or worse if it has deteriorated physically/leaked. 2 things I would do:

One of my 575 buttons sticks down a little if I don't hit it just right-a stuck button can cause all kinds of weirdnesses. Check all the buttons-make sure you feel a bit of a click-with these you can feel if the button is moving correctly, or if the contact is bad, you will not feel this at all-as if the button is pushed down and not coming back up. The other thing to try-if you haven't already-keep it powered on overnight, try this 1-2 times to see if electrical energy can power its way through what could be marginal caps, and these might come back if energized for awhile-another longshot but it won't harm anything.  Beyond this-it may need disassembly-to look for obvious problems-loose cables/connectors inside, discolored or burnt-looking components-could be as simple as a disconnected cable in one of the IC boards, it happens although most Casios I've diagnosed are pretty secure/tight.

Yes Casiofun, this is one of the more interesting older Casios. IDES 4.0-has a full sample mapping editor-one of the easiest sample loading/mapping setups I've ever used-if it could be hacked to put more sampe RAM-just musing though! 

Edited by Jokeyman123

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, Daniel_Kohlmeigner said:

@Jokeyman123

Unfortunately it is not reacting to the Transpose/Function button, the three Mixer, Synth and Effect buttons right underneath are not reacting either.

Most of the other stuff I can press and see a reaction until some point where it freezes. 

It also produced some every broken sound crackles when I pressed some keys.

Any more ideas what else I could try and do?

Daniel, 

My Px-575 R (16 yrs old) is doing the EXACT same thing you described. Same keys are not working and same code shows. Did you ever find a solution? Please let me know! 

-Kari

• 6 months later...

I  found this forum after experiencing  the same problems with our PX-410R  which had stopped working and exhibiting the same symptoms: not reacting to the Transpose/Function button, the three Mixer, Synth and Effect buttons right underneath are not reacting either, and the note sound and corresponding note on the display were also incorrect relative to what key was actually pressed.

As the Transpose / Function button was not responding, I was not able to  access the Initialize Settings as instructed on page E-69 of the user guide. (A good argument for why a separate re-set button  on the rear panel would be desirable.) With no solution confirmed in this thread, I even started to look at replacement options on-line, and baulking at the cost of an upgrade.

The next morning, I dug up a 12V 2.0 Amp power supply, and decided to give it ago as described in the above thread.  When I turned the power on, the display screen "Flashed" momentarily, and then nothing.  The alternate power supply was a generic supply that I had for another device, and the fit into the socket was not as snug as the original  power supply, so I decided to try it again while pressing the  plug in to ensure a good connection. - Nothing at all this time. Not even a screen flash.

Thinking that it was well and truly dead, I then plugged the original 12 V 1.5 Amp Casio power supply back in and presto, the screen lit up, and everything restored back to normal operations!!!! 

Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum.  I think that what Jokeyman123 mentioned about the  replacement of the battery  may be worth considering.  Can anyone advise on how to access the battery?  - I am assuming that there is the equivalent of a CMOS battery inside to assist with the retention of stored data when not in use.

• 1 month later...

If i find a service manual, parts list or schematic online, I will post it here...I have never seen a listing anywhere for a backup battery for the Casios and i have never seen one inside any I've disassembled, not sure about the 575 but these can hold a charge for 10 years or longer. My SY77 still has it original backup coin-cell, and i've owned it for 15 plus years!

I still have my PX575, it still works. I'm thinking Relieved-that somehow this other supply might have "cold-booted" the 575 because of the bad barrel plug fit-you shorted the power jack momentarily-I've done this on some older boards (I'm note recommending it) to get these to fully reboot-which discharges any residual charges, can correct a stuck software fault, and can work if the fault lays in the OS, not the hardware. When you factory reboot most keyboards-it is "warm-booting" it is still partly energized, and if there is a software glitch, it will remain in whatever chips-primarily memory chips that access the CPU-there are. Caps can also retain power for a long time, even without a battery backup-and this keep the OS fault in place. I usually just connect a spare barrel plug into the power jack and short it to see if this will fix the problem. on older keys I've disassembled-I directly short the power supply-without power connected to the board-momentarily, but there is a risk and i only do this as a last resort, and i know my way around electronics so again, I do not recommend this here but I think that is what you inadvertently did.

That's what I had previously deduced, from lack of information rather than documentation. I checked several parts suppliers for Casios, and found no reference to any kind of backup batteries for this, or even close-there are none in my 560/350 or XW-P1 either so card/thumb drive/internal memory must have replaced this method as you said.

• 1 year later...

So my PX-575R had the exact problem described above in the first post.  Fixed it by doing the following:

With power on hold down the Transpose/Function button and the 1 button for about 10-15 seconds (middle of unit under Registration heading, there are buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4).  There is crackling/static noises that come from the speakers so make sure the volume nob is no more than a quarter rotated.  Release the buttons.  Do the same using the other numbered buttons, namely hold down the Transpose button and the 2 button for 10-15 seconds (more static sounds from speakers) then release, again with Transpose and 3, again with Transpose and 4.

After doing this the Transpose button should now respond when simply pressed in a normal manner (not held down).  Assuming the Transpose button on your device now responds normally, do the following procedure:

Press and release Transpose, press down arrow three times, press right arrow two times, press + (yes) button two times.  Unit should now reset to factory, but still no sound.  Power off unit and wait 10 seconds, power on unit as normal.  Unit now functions properly.