Video Files on Forum ×

cdp-s350 using headphone jack to connect to keyboard amp.

allwhitekeys

• 7 months later...

I've actually had a horrible time with this. I got an adapter to go from headphone minijack to 1/4" cable to the amp. The 1/4" cables are so heavy and put strain on the flimsy headphone jack. Now it's loose and sometimes the sound coming out of the keyboard goes on and off. Do you have a fix for this, Brad? Technically it should work just fine, but practically it doesn't. I now bought a cable that's 1/8" to 1/4" so that it puts less strain on the adapter....and I tape it to the side of the keyboard so the weight of the cable doesn't damage the jack...but I think the damage has already been done. Now I have a loose headphone jack. Do you know how I can fix that?

Thanks, Daniel

1/8 inch cable to 1/4 inch is what I've been using.  I haven't had any troubles with any of the keyboards I use it with.  I generally take care not to put too much force on any jacks.  Even if the jack holds up, the cable itself might not.  I hate when things get busted like that.  Have tried it with headphones alone?  That might help confirm the jack needs repair.  

If this is like other Casios I've disassembled/repaired-the jack will be directly soldered to an IC board-usually a separate power supply board that will have additional filter caps and possiblt other voltage regulators depending on model. to tighten the jack, you might have to resolder the connections inside. None of my Casios has an external nut assembly or metal or plastic socketed sleeve as some keyboards do, so any looseness may need additional securing to the IC board-such as hot glue which might make this jack stronger but again you'll have to get inside to do that. And as far as the 1/8" to 1/4" cables-I use athinner 1/8" cable that will extend out to a thicker 1/4" cable to prevent the thicker cable from pulling directly on the jack. This way you only have the thinner, lighter weight cable which can flex around without causing stress directly on the jack. You would need to separate cables to do that. Male 1/8" to male 1/4" jumper type cable to female 1/4" and male 1/4" on other cable. Might have to make your own, or might find exactly these combinations at Amazon, eBay or one of the electronics parts online companies. I always check Jameco and Allelectronics for odd parts like these.