Video Files on Forum ×

WK-3000 midi mode for using as a midi controller?

I want to use my WK-3000 keyboard as a midi controller for cakewalk but I can’t find the midi option on the keyboard. Navigating the settings on it is seriously confusing and the online manuals don’t help either. I have a midi to usb cable that I plugged into my laptop but can’t figure out how to get to midi mode

As Brad said, there is nothing to enable on the keyboard side of things, it should already be outputting MIDI data as long as you have the cables plugged into the correct MIDI jacks. Sometimes it's easy to mix up MIDI Out and MIDI In due to the confusing ways a lot of those USB MIDI cables are labeled, so I'd try it both ways before you start troubleshooting elsewhere.

What programs are you trying to use it with on your computer? You may wish to try something like MIDI-OX to troubleshoot the issue. Once you have it installed, click on Options in the top row, and select MIDI Devices. You should see your MIDI to USB adapter listed as an input and output source.

If you have one of those generic off-brand USB-MIDI cables from China, I'd recommend returning it and upgrading to something more reliable like the M-Audio Midisport Uno or the Roland UM-One. Those Chinese adapters are super spotty in terms of software support and reliability.

Edited by Chandler Holloway

Yes, this series of Casios-this is a very deep Casio by the way-is very similar to my PX575 for the menu items. The scroll buttons are the 'secret" to unlocking all the menus on this-as it isn't very apparent how to get to the "midi" settings. Usually on mine, and without any obvious visual to let you in on this-scrolling down from any given menu item should give you the next menu page-looking at page E-80 in the manual, if i didn't know how to do this, you are right-I had to learn this trial-and error-then you use the left/right scroll buttons to move o each item in the menu sub-headings, then use the + - buttons I think trhis has these?) to change the setting in that item if it has settings-such as midi channels 1-16, but it all works, once you figure out these scroll buttons.

The only midi settings you need to know for Cakewalk-1) which WK midi channel out setting you are using-this looks like the first menu item on page E-80's flowchart for the visually fotuitous-and local on/off-which you might need to turn off as any time you play and record into Cakewalk-it wil send the midi data "stream" right back to the WK midi in port. Normally, this is what you want-if you are going use the tones in the WK, and not "virtual" sounds in your computer. Sometimes this can cause problems as midi data going out and in at the same time can bollucks up the midi data, if you get starting and stopping sounds/recordings, this is what is probably happening. Turn local off if you are playing virtual synths in your computer and you don't want to hear the WK sounds. 

And yes make sure you are not using one of the 5 milion cheap USB/midi computer cable adapters-I posted here a few years back-discovered these had missing parts, bad solder and were just plain awful, caused untold headaches untiI I realized it was my adapter cable. Looks like this.....and the connectors are marked backwards to what you would expect. As Chandler and Brad said, get a good one. I use an M-audio Midisport 2 x2. 

bad chinese cabe.jpg

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:30 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Yes, this series of Casios-this is a very deep Casio by the way-is very similar to my PX575 for the menu items. The scroll buttons are the 'secret" to unlocking all the menus on this-as it isn't very apparent how to get to the "midi" settings. Usually on mine, and without any obvious visual to let you in on this-scrolling down from any given menu item should give you the next menu page-looking at page E-80 in the manual, if i didn't know how to do this, you are right-I had to learn this trial-and error-then you use the left/right scroll buttons to move o each item in the menu sub-headings, then use the + - buttons I think trhis has these?) to change the setting in that item if it has settings-such as midi channels 1-16, but it all works, once you figure out these scroll buttons.

The only midi settings you need to know for Cakewalk-1) which WK midi channel out setting you are using-this looks like the first menu item on page E-80's flowchart for the visually fotuitous-and local on/off-which you might need to turn off as any time you play and record into Cakewalk-it wil send the midi data "stream" right back to the WK midi in port. Normally, this is what you want-if you are going use the tones in the WK, and not "virtual" sounds in your computer. Sometimes this can cause problems as midi data going out and in at the same time can bollucks up the midi data, if you get starting and stopping sounds/recordings, this is what is probably happening. Turn local off if you are playing virtual synths in your computer and you don't want to hear the WK sounds. 

And yes make sure you are not using one of the 5 milion cheap USB/midi computer cable adapters-I posted here a few years back-discovered these had missing parts, bad solder and were just plain awful, caused untold headaches untiI I realized it was my adapter cable. Looks like this.....and the connectors are marked backwards to what you would expect. As Chandler and Brad said, get a good one. I use an M-audio Midisport 2 x2. 

bad chinese cabe.jpg

Thank you, I actually bought that exact cable and the problem was that they were labeled the wrong way. I connected the one labeled “out” to the “in” on the keyboard and it works great!