Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S1100 and PX-S3100 announced (July 2021)

rsaintjohn

I saw last night in Japanese media that Casio has announced new PX-S1100 and PX-S3100 digital pianos. 

Although there was some emphasis on being the slimmest in the market, there wasn’t much indication of the differences between the previous models, other than “gold accents” and this:

“While inheriting the design and playing comfort from the conventional model, the sound quality has been improved, such as rich expressiveness in a wide range from low to high frequencies.“

”Upgraded speakers and speaker positioning give the PX-S1100 a warmer tone than ever...”

So some minor changes to the interior sound hardware? Software changes to EQ? Any indication that a firmware update is coming for the PX-S1000/3000, or are the differences more significant side-by-side?

It is interesting that includes bluetooth MIDI and audio over an WU-BT10 adapter that can be purchased separately, but sadly it is not supported neither by PX-S1000 or PX-S3000 for BT MIDI upgrade, at least in the adapter specs sheet.

I really like what Casio has been doing, but it's too bad they took out the 3.5mm AUDIO IN on the PX-S1100. That's a very useful feature that I use every day; so for me, it went from a "must buy" to a "wait and see".

But still after getting a CT-S1, I'm paying a whole lot more attention to the Casio keyboards. I'm hoping we see a 61-key version of the PX-S line.

Edited by Groove On

17 hours ago, Trujax said:

It is interesting that includes bluetooth MIDI and audio over an WU-BT10 adapter that can be purchased separately, but sadly it is not supported neither by PX-S1000 or PX-S3000 for BT MIDI upgrade, at least in the adapter specs sheet.

Apparently this is the only difference, I just looked at the PX-S3100, in the basic manual (the only one available yet) it was the only difference I found.

Edited by mjuliani

50 minutes ago, mjuliani said:

Apparently this is the only difference, I just looked at the PX-S3100, in the basic manual (the only one available yet) it was the only difference I found.

There are significant changes to the speaker systems on both models and refinements to damper and sympathetic resonance systems on all piano tones. PX-S1100 also adds audio recording and playback to a USB drive. 

• Like 4

On 7/8/2021 at 5:31 AM, Trujax said:

I do like that the WU-BT10 Bluetooth adapter is included with both the PX-S1100 and PX-S3100. That’s also interesting about the audio recording/playback feature. I assume that’s through the USB port as well.

PX-S1100

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/pxs1100/spec/

PX-S3100

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/pxs3100/spec/

Edited by Groove On

10 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

There are significant changes to the speaker systems on both models and refinements to damper and sympathetic resonance systems on all piano tones. PX-S1100 also adds audio recording and playback to a USB drive. 

Very interesting, good to know, let's wait for the reviews

• 3 weeks later...

I own the PX-S1000

What I see needed to be addressed, and it sounds like a major change in manufacture unfortunately.

*the keys get noisy and are need of lubrication in short time. I can get it done, but it's too expensive to warrant it. I'll live with the fact they loosened up and are clacky.

*Better onboard speakers, so without headphones it doesn't sound so muffled. This has been addressed I think

*Ability to set up sound profiles rather than just resume. I have piano preferences for headphones, and another through the speakers. 

(BTW applying light chorus effect gives a nice sound, although it is subjective. Some tuners tastefully apply light chorus to an acoustic)

The black/white key weight difference I find acceptable. Someone once publicly stated it was unplayable, which is not true for most people. 

I had a humidity issue with my unit, but it sorted itself out. The humid air messed with the sensors, and some notes got loud, lost sensitivity. It resolved on its own after the humidity went down, and now I always remember to put a cover on.

All I am after is a great piano tone with good speakers and a solid, convincing keyboard. Also the ability to tweak the piano sample some, and overall, I can achieve this with the PX-S1000.  For the money it's good, but in some respects I  miss my PX-160 by comparison. Maybe taking the best of both into one unit?

I have defended this keyboard publicly, it became a target, and unfairly so. It is not a $1200 keyboard, and for the market it's aiming for, it's pretty good.

But yes, there are things I would like to see.

Ending on a positive note. The piano sample, the default one before the bright is good, I like it. It is the strong point of the entire unit.

Edited by steve_s

Re- the imminent release of the Casio PX-S 3100; I wonder if having made the WU-BT10 adapter available something similar could be created for the 3000/1000. Given advice that the PX-S3000 could be used as a good midi- controller; Bluetooth midi would seem to be an important part of the process. I use Bluetooth to run all my VST’s, DAW and notation programs (but not with a Casio keyboard.) This blog mentions the CME u-host as being a possible Bluetooth midi solution for the PX-S3000 but unfortunately the company currently has manufacturing delays due to global micro-processor shortages. 

I bought the PX-S3000 several months ago and am a little disappointed that the WU BT-10 can be produced for essentially the same keyboard but there is to be no such solution for existing PX-S3000 users. 

As a musician and music educator I’ve found it to be  a remarkably well designed, flexible and useful  instrument. A USB -A bluetooth midi solution would be great!

@Patrick3

I understand what your saying but it is simply not possible to add the WU-BT10 to the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000. The CME product when available will be the best solution for addition wireless MIDI to USB MIDI devices like the PX-1000/3000.  

Although the PX-S3000 has a USB port, attaching a WU-BT10 will not work. This not a software limitation but a hardware limitation. To accommodate Casio's WU-BT10 and Bluetooth MIDI there are significant hardware changes to PX-S1100 and PX-S3100 over previous models.

The CME product should work with class-compliant USB MIDI products like your PX-S3000.  I'm ordering one too.  :)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My new PXS-3100  works perfectly via bluetooth midi to my iPad Pro using Galileo organ and other apps.  Also I've noticed you can now switch off the keyboard speakers when using an external amplifier....a common sense inclusion.

• Like 2