Video Files on Forum ×

One for the ages: my son dropped a quarter in between the keys. Anybody know how to remove an actual key?

drksd4848

It is stuck in there rattling around and it ain't coming out.  It is in too narrow a space in between the keys to pluck it out with forceps. 

I have got everything disassembled. The housing is unscrewed and apart from the actual plate with the keys on it. I can peer in from the side and see the quarter sitting there. He literally dropped it at middle C.  It looks like the only way to get the quarter out is to remove the keys around it.  God knows how I’ll get this thing back together and who knows if it will work properly when/if I do. 

So, my question: how do I pop the sounding keys out to get to the coin?  (without breaking it) It seems like the CDP keys are attached differently than other Casio keys.  Anybody with repair experience that could help?

Better Mike, Brad or Joe to answer this but I'll try seeing as I've done this with a CDP230/235 and the PX's. All these required that you push the key straight forward first I recall-meaning the key must be able to be clear of the entire front frame, not sure what this looks like on your CDP-but I had to lift the entire key assembly free and raise it up to do this. It will click a bit-then you can simply lift the key out. Are you sure there isn't another way? If it isn't jammed in there-try a bit of "poster putty" if you can get someI think I saw it at /doolar General or one of those dollar something stores-and stick a bit on a narrow wood stick or similar-try to get the quarter to stick to that-doesn't sound very hopeful I know. Is it possible you can trun the entire keyboard upside down, maybe rattle it lose? Don't laugh-I've lost screws like ths and had to rattle the entire keyboard around like a pinata to get it out. Unfortunately for you-quarters are not magnetic are they?  I have tiny high-power magnets and probes I use for just this kind of problem but only works for steel screws which luckily most are. 

Edited by Jokeyman123

4 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Are you sure there isn't another way? If it isn't jammed in there-try a bit of "poster putty" if you can get someI think I saw it at /doolar General or one of those dollar something stores-and stick a bit on a narrow wood stick or similar-try to get the quarter to stick to that-doesn't sound very hopeful I know. Is it possible you can trun the entire keyboard upside down, maybe rattle it lose? Don't laugh-I've lost screws like ths and had to rattle the entire keyboard around like a pinata to get it out. Unfortunately for you-quarters are not magnetic are they?  I have tiny high-power magnets and probes I use for just this kind of problem but only works for steel screws which luckily most are. 

There wasn’t.  (The quarter is out BTW.  Only now I have exchanged one problem for another.  More on that in a bit.) 

I figured out how to pop the key out.  Turns out if you lift the bottom of the key with a little bit of pressure it comes up, then pull it out from the back and it comes off. I did that, pulled out the quarter, then pushed the key forward, pressed down and it went back in.  That problem, solved… but then…

I buttoned it back up, turned it on and… no sound from the speakers, no sound from the headphones.  Hopefully its only a speaker wire that came loose.  I will say that there was a thin ribbon cable covered in foam that became disconnected, but I could not see where it was plugged in, if it was plugged in at all. 

I’m going to open it up again and take some pictures and post them here. I should have been taking pictures at every step of the way in order to have something to refer to, but this was one of those slippery slope incidents where one thing leads to another.  

At least I know how to disassemble a CDP-S350

Quick update… metronome and rhythm patterns play fine through the speaker.  The keys are dead. In the first pic I posted below, there is a thin ribbon cable covered in foam that runs from the keyboard that is loose.  This could be the problem.  I cant see where it is suppose to plug in. Does anyone know where it goes?

1CC4BB31-7FA1-4C53-B43B-AF03A23498E9.jpeg

63F35270-AB84-423F-B573-14B417D5E328.jpeg

AC321F67-B881-40C9-B721-632AA7533035.jpeg

Bingo, Miuke nailed it, its right there! When you took the top off, you pulled that cable out-its easy to do. There is a small brown tab you have lift up-put the cable in, and push the tab back down to lock the cable in. Trouble is-now your Casio is worth 25 cents less than it was before.....:P

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Bingo, Miuke nailed it, its right there! When you took the top off, you pulled that cable out-its easy to do. There is a small brown tab you have lift up-put the cable in, and push the tab back down to lock the cable in. Trouble is-now your Casio is worth 25 cents less than it was before.....:P

Yes indeed. 25 cents and some Tylenol for a headache afterward.  😉

I had a feeling it was the tan connector and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to put the ribbon into the tab.  After I posted the pics last night, I went back to the keyboard at about 1AM in a fit of frustration and fiddled around with it for a bit. Then, by accident, I figured out how to push the tab open. It took me a little time but I was able to fit it back in. It disconnected a few times while I was putting the housing back on. 

A few notes for people who have children who like to slide quarters between the keys of a CDP-S350:

That cable - a tsujimoto-c connector -  is razor thin and flimsy. It disconnects very easily, and can be really tricky to reconnect. It was maddening until I got the hang of it.  Like I said, it disconnected a few times before I got everything back together.  You take the ribbon and gently press on the top front of the tab until pops up and clamps down. 

I probably didn’t have to disassemble the entire case to pop the keys out but it was helpful to have access to underside of the key. I also unscrewed the entire key assembly from the case (the screws are in the back along with two brackets) but that may not have been necessary either. 

I haven’t found any other documentation of someone opening up and pulling apart a CDP-S350, and the assembly is nothing like any of the other Casio keyboards I’ve seen disassembled online. Hopefully this experience will benefit someone else!

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by drksd4848
  • Like 1