Video Files on Forum ×

Ctx3000 midi clock

dftx3

On 7/19/2021 at 10:32 AM, dftx3 said:

did anyone manage to sync ctx3000 with daw?  can ctx3000 transmit midi clock?

I researched this a couple of months ago and I dont think it is possible. I make sure that the time signature and the rhythm tempo match on both CTX and the DAW. 

No I don't think any of the CTX's have midi clock sync-but if its internal clock is as accurate as my PX560 and other Casios-I have been able to manually sync more than one other midi device with it, the tempo clock is that accurate-but that's hardware-I'm not sure re a DAW. the computer clock may not be as accurate as a hardware midi keyboard or module. Worth a try, but I don't have a CTX to test out. Unfortunately, this leaves out your ability to auto start a remote midi device with the CTX and other hardware or software.

2 hours ago, r_1159 said:

I researched this a couple of months ago and I dont think it is possible. I make sure that the time signature and the rhythm tempo match on both CTX and the DAW. 

how do you manage to make daw to read tempo from ctx? how do you manage to make daw to start recording when you start play on ctx?

my question is simple ... can ctx synchronize with daw, ctx master daw slave?

On 7/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, dftx3 said:

how do you manage to make daw to read tempo from ctx? how do you manage to make daw to start recording when you start play on ctx?

my question is simple ... can ctx synchronize with daw, ctx master daw slave?

None of these is possible with CTX. I had issue with quantizing as there is no synch option on CTX so found the solution. I just make sure the tempo and the time signature on DAW and CTX is the same before recording. I start recording on DAW and start playing on CTX. I usually do this for drum track first. Once recording is done I drag all notes to match the grid and will play the rest of tracks accordingly. 

On 7/26/2021 at 1:41 AM, r_1159 said:

None of these is possible with CTX. I had issue with quantizing as there is no synch option on CTX so found the solution. I just make sure the tempo and the time signature on DAW and CTX is the same before recording. I start recording on DAW and start playing on CTX. I usually do this for drum track first. Once recording is done I drag all notes to match the grid and will play the rest of tracks accordingly. 

I understand .... there are still solutions, of course ... but if there was the possibility of sync, we would have had several advantages ... finally, thanks for the answer ...

• Like 1

I have studied alternatives to being able to create a sync signal for midi devices that do not have it. Currently as I posted before, I sync tempos manually and the Casios seem accurate enough to do this-but there is no midi "trigger" possible for song start through hardware or software. Another trick-but it would require an additional midi module/sequencer/keyboard with midi sync-manually sync the Casio to an external device that has midi clock out-and use that to trigger your DAW-sound more complex if you are just starting out-but if you have alot of midi keys/modules in your "food chain"  like me-it will work. and you computer software setup must have a pretty accurate clock to stay in sync-if the software stays in sync with your other midi clock device (I use a Yamaha QY100 for this as it has midi clock out) it should stay in sync with your CTX. Admittedly a complicated work-around, but if you really need to trigger remote software with your CTX, it will work. and of course you will need the right midi usb to midi din connector cables to the computer such as my midisport 2 x 2 or something similar. 

There used to be hardware boxes that would "listen" to an audio out signal with a regular quarter-note beat-such as a drum tone-and convert that to a midi clock signal. I think there are still hardware devices that can do that, but the prices are very high-and for a budget keyboard probably not worth doing. Look up "control voltage triggers" or similar.  I actually constructed such a device many years ago-and was able to take an audio signal from my Sequential Circuits Pro-One-and use it with older synthesizers that could read the audio signal and use it as a sync signal for arpeggios or step-sequencers, but this was pre-midi, before midi even existed and it worked well. Certain patch-cord analog synths could do this. Sync boxes were available to convert various control-voltage signals from one synth to another. Might be worth another look. I bet it could be done with an Arduino design. I don't need this type of device-and am too lazy to create one, not a good combination for motivation!

Casio's own XW-P1 has midi sync through its USB midi or midi DIN connectors, but I guess that doesn't help you much.

Edited by Jokeyman123

44 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I have studied alternatives to being able to create a sync signal for midi devices that do not have it. Currently as I posted before, I sync tempos manually and the Casios seem accurate enough to do this-but there is no midi "trigger" possible for song start through hardware or software. Another trick-but it would require an additional midi module/sequencer/keyboard with midi sync-manually sync the Casio to an external device that has midi clock out-and use that to trigger your DAW-sound more complex if you are just starting out-but if you have alot of midi keys/modules in your "food chain"  like me-it will work. and you computer software setup must have a pretty accurate clock to stay in sync-if the software stays in sync with your other midi clock device (I use a Yamaha QY100 for this as it has midi clock out) it should stay in sync with your CTX. Admittedly a complicated work-around, but if you really need to trigger remote software with your CTX, it will work. and of course you will need the right midi usb to midi din connector cables to the computer such as my midisport 2 x 2 or something similar. 

There used to be hardware boxes that would "listen" to an audio out signal with a regular quarter-note beat-such as a drum tone-and convert that to a midi clock signal. I think there are still hardware devices that can do that, but the prices are very high-and for a budget keyboard probably not worth doing. Look up "control voltage triggers" or similar.  I actually constructed such a device many years ago-and was able to take an audio signal from my Sequential Circuits Pro-One-and use it with older synthesizers that could read the audio signal and use it as a sync signal for arpeggios or step-sequencers, but this was pre-midi, before midi even existed and it worked well. Certain patch-cord analog synths could do this. Sync boxes were available to convert various control-voltage signals from one synth to another. Might be worth another look. I bet it could be done with an Arduino design. I don't need this type of device-and am too lazy to create one, not a good combination for motivation!

Casio's own XW-P1 has midi sync through its USB midi or midi DIN connectors, but I guess that doesn't help you much.

yes, I also read about these variants ... in my "food chain" are ctx3000 and midi controller novation impulse49...

I'll try to see what I can get ... thanks!