Video Files on Forum ×

Total stage phrase seq,song mode and stage mode.

XW-Addict

I was wondering if it would be possible to integrate song mode and stage mode together or parts of it

I know some workings are fixed inside of the PX5S but maybe something could be routed.

The reason for this are the arpeggio's and phrase to have a way to let them sync at key press not with pedal.

Its a trip to built a song in song mode with hexlayers limits are quick noticeable when both

hexlayer occupy the same zone  if you want hexlayer sounds on the same zone as well in stage mode isn't

possible when its occupies song mode channel 1/2. 

Another Idea would be the phrase sequencer that can be set which can be found in the common menu of a stage

if its possible to be assignable to any channel as well set fixed and sync start from that  channel say 10 or 16 that

phrase channel seems to be an additional nint'h phrase available within the PX5S eight other phrases sequencers. 

This phrase makes it possible to have two phrases to be played on zone 1 but it needs to be triggered before hand

If it was possible to split range both of them to hexlayer for instance layer 1/3 gets the one and layer 4/6 gets the

other would be narly to hear dual phrases played simultaneously.   

(BTW)

I actually tried all phrases on zone 1 with the song sequencer ,the main stage phrases get priority which the phrase 

on the console doesn't , it gets suppressed or chopped it wont be the case if both phrases are recorded intermitted but that is

tricky as well. Song mode phrases do play nicely along , I've tried it with one hexlayer  on zone 1 in song mode , stage mode and

console phrase, Console phrase plays chopped above all. 

Edited by XW-Addict

53 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Basically, are you asking for a way to use more hex layer tones with phrases?

No actually 🤔 , Two hexlayers could be enough I've never felt to be on the point of needing

one more there is only something in the way , like the fixed drum its in the way , its only there 

for movement of a groove but if Its needed in the zone there a choice to be made with sounds 

in the stage not to be chosen. Mostly the drum gets the priority over the sound. I dunno. 

If hexlayer could have part that can be arpeggiated or phrased and another part not would be cool

but that would be to much technically way complicated. Zone 1 is actually a domination between 

hex ,  drums , phrase recording  and stage piano. 

Either one more zones could have helped or having one free arpeggio/phrase sequencer assigned 

to an channel not in the way of the zones. And select that channel for whatever midi sound, drum groove hexlayer to another zone or outside the zoning than just 1 or 2.  Or have song mode with two

function the other be drum channel that sync play with stage mode this could be fully assigned in the 

mixer if it could have worked like that. 

Ive noticed this with the XW as well you can create sounds and their enough arpeggio's and phrases to 

create movement or an groove and free channels to use something external. the tools are there but they 

stand themselves in the way being not freely assignable its same here with PX5S basically it has nine phrase

sequencer but they're limited. no key ranges. its all there but limited or each other in the way.   

Edited by XW-Addict

• 1 month later...

Hi,

You don't have to use channel 1 and 2 for song track 1 and 2.  You could start the song sequencer track at MIDI channel 5 and use the hex layers on zone 1 and 2 in the stage settings.  Likewise you can set a song sequencer track to drums.  The drums don't have to be on track 1 or 2 of the sequencer or on channel 1 or 2.

If I understand what you are after, you could setup and entire song sequencer at say tempo 110.  You could set hex layers on zones 1 and 2 and you could set up an arpegiation for that stage setting.  Press [Song], choose the song, then press exit.  The song light will stay lit.  Press start and also play the keyboard at the same time and your arpeggiated stage setting will play with the song in time.

The drums and the hex layers won't step on each other.   You would have to manually start and stop the song when playing the keyboard.  Am I missing your objective?

On 9/15/2021 at 3:42 AM, Choppin said:

Hi,

You don't have to use channel 1 and 2 for song track 1 and 2.  You could start the song sequencer track at MIDI channel 5 and use the hex layers on zone 1 and 2 in the stage settings.  Likewise you can set a song sequencer track to drums.  The drums don't have to be on track 1 or 2 of the sequencer or on channel 1 or 2.

If I understand what you are after, you could setup and entire song sequencer at say tempo 110.  You could set hex layers on zones 1 and 2 and you could set up an arpegiation for that stage setting.  Press [Song], choose the song, then press exit.  The song light will stay lit.  Press start and also play the keyboard at the same time and your arpeggiated stage setting will play with the song in time.

The drums and the hex layers won't step on each other.   You would have to manually start and stop the song when playing the keyboard.  Am I missing your objective?

Not at all missing the objective 🙂 That is all indeed possible both ways  but to do so require lots of handling as the song sequencer

really not a part of stage but will play useful  if triggered by control option as sort of backing. Song sequencer purely for playing and

groove on top of a stage sounds. song mode , stage mode , wav player they're all their own entity bonded by Midi CC controller. 

But I expect to much while this is a stage piano not a performance synth like the XW *sigh* discovering cool things on this its like the

saying go's  limitation breaths creativity maybe I'm rambling .  

Managing track channels specific to not interfere with zone channels hex/tone usage of a stage also can be done luckily. If it were not that  Hexlayer

sounds have their own tones to play with , There for If two hexlayers make up a big sound like a specific bass or piano zone one and two are taken for,

either use one hexlayer in song mode and reserve one for stage , use two hexlayer for song mode and none for stage and vice versa. Concession if I say 

this correctly to be made. Either way hexlayer stay fixed at channel/zone 1 and 2.  You'll only notice when hexlayers playing big role in sound designing your music,

I'm burning to know how PX560 users manage with four hexlayers(and one dsp).     

With the 560-you can record with up to 4 hex layers on 4 separate song recorder tracks-but a sum total of  3 basic effects sends for the song sequencer-which are global but sends can be set individually for each sequencer track. I was never sure, and even after studying the diagram in the manual-I believe only 2 effects can be used with the song recorder-whatever DSP is part of the tone (I think) is retained when used as a tone in the 17-track recorder. Now you can add up to 3 other effects globally-reverb, chorus and delay from the mixer screen-and adjust the send levels for each individually-but I was never sure what actually comes out the final audio outs. I really can't tell, as I've never tried using all 3 global effects, and listened to see if the tone's individual "embedded" DSP is retained-but I think something gets lost along the way. I think only one tone DSP and one global song recorder DSP can be used at a time. when I did my cover of Telstar-I noticed I could bring the organ's LESLIE dsp into the song recorder track, and apply reverb to the other tracks by controlling the reverb sends on each individual channel, but I never got past that-didn't test too many other tones with DSP included in the tone, to see if these carried over into the song recorder along with the other 3 send effects. 

• Like 1

• XW-Addict changed the title to Total stage phrase seq,song mode and stage mode.