Video Files on Forum ×

PX-560M and Omni Mode using midi in?

rrujinschi

Hello,

I have a Privia PX-560M and  I now have it in a MIDI studio setup thru a midibox and Privia PX-560M is responding to every MIDI channel but not the other synths which respond to the channel where I assignem the,.  It doesn't seem to be a way to select which channel it receives on .  For instance, I assigned my other synths for the other midi channels one channel per instrument and it worked as expected but the Privia is just playing the standard piano preset 1 along with it on all the channels sent from Cubase.

For example if I select midi channel 3, I hear the synth assigned to channel 3 and also the px-560M piano in the same time.

If I change the channel in cubase, If I use another synth on channel 4, I hear that other synth and also the px-560.

Is there a way to filter this from privia on midi in or is there anothery way to get rid of this behavior?

I noticed it will do the whole production for me if I assign instruments/channels in Cubase, which is cool, but I wanted to use my other synths along with it too.

Would you please help!?

The PX560 has a choice of 3 midi "ports" each of which will respond to individual midi channels 1-16 as you would expect. Those ports are designated A B and C and can function independently of each other-like having 3 separate synths each with 16 midi channels. Unless you change which "port" the 560 is going to respond to from external midi sources-it will default to "A" which will be preset to the main menu tone settings-for upper and lower tones you see in the tone selection screen for all 4 tones. This is why (I think) you are always ending up with the piano setting-this must be what you have selected in the main menu screen for your tone or tones, and it will only respond to external midi channels 1-4, and 5 for the auto-harmonize channel. To get the 560 to respond as a 16-channel multi-timbral midi keyboard (not omni mode) go to the menu settings for midi and look for the last item-you'll have to scroll down to see-the settings for selecting port A, B or C. You want to select port "B" or "C" as this sets up the 560 to respond to all 16 channels independently, as if it is a 16-channel mulit-timbral tone module. This is on page 79 of the manual, the midi channel assignments and these individual port settings are displayed in a diagram on page A-5 at the end of the manual,or you can set it to "C" for playing a midi file from an external source. You can also now monitor the volume levels for all 3 ports with the mixer one port at a time-but you have to set which port you want to monitor. I forget where you select that-I think its part of the mixer screen. I'm not in front of my 560 right now and don't recall that setting. I twon't affect what's coming into the 560, it just gives you a choice as to what you are seeing since the mixer cannot display 48 tracks at once, only 16 at a time.

A little confusing but then there's alot you can do from here-as you now can use the mixer settings to change tones, DSP, pan for that port as you send midi data into the 560. You cannot record external midi data into the 560 song recorder-but the mixer will change settings for each individual midi channel with the mixer that is also used for the song recorder, and playing back external midi files or arrangements.  I think this describes what you are trying to do. 

Edited by Jokeyman123