CTS-1 distortion on audio input; default volume level?

Piano Tone

I play with backing tracks alot, so I am always using the audio in from my iPad.  On many of them it seems that I have to max the volume of the iPad to match the key volume of the CTS-1, and this often results in distortion of the backing track.  So my 2 options are:

- try to redo backing tracks with higher volume (not entirely sure if that will actually work or if it will still distort, just at a lower iPad output volume)

- lower the key volume of the CTS-1 (as per page 33 in the manual; levels available are 0-127)

Couple questions:

- has anyone run into this and/or modified the key volume on the CTS-1?

- does anyone know what the default volume level is (the manual doesn't say)

One thing I worry about with this is whether it will affect recording output volume when I record through my audio interface.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:21 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Raising the volume of the songs on the iPad will increase the distortion.  Set your iPad to a volume where no distortion is noticed, then lower the key volume to a satisfactory level.  Default volume level can be reset by pressing both plus and minus keys at the same time.

Thanks!  I did see that in the manual; do you know what level (0-127) that the default volume is?   And I've actually started using a mini battery powered mixer so that I have more control (and so I don't lose keyboard volume for recording through my audio interface - it's low as it is so I didn't want to constantly be turning that up and down)