Video Files on Forum ×

Another "Should I upgrade my firmware" question (and note about mis-triggering key)

BrixeyBrian

Greetings folks, my first post here.  I recently picked up a lightly-used PX-560 and am really enjoying it.  A little background:  I'm a multi-instrumentalist (primarily guitar).  I bought a Casio CDP-130 as a USB MIDI controller for home studio use back in 2015.  I chose the CDP based on its action which I felt was better than the other digital pianos I tried in that price range and it's been a good little ride.  Fast forward to current times and I wanted a stage piano that had better onboard piano patches.  After a lot of online research (including reading this fine forum and some communication with PianoMan Chuck :)) I found a PX-560 offered at a good price on Reverb by an owner a few hours away.  He said he picked it up as a floor model from a local music store a couple years earlier and had only played out with it a handful of times.  The unit appeared to be in mint condition.  My hesitation was that this model is long in the tooth and will probably be discontinued before long, but all things considered I went for it.   A couple of weeks after getting it home one of the keys (G3#) started misfiring: wouldn't trigger at all at low velocity, when it did it was always loud, and would sustain on its own (without pedal depression).  I immediately thought about similar threads I'd read on the forum.  I was bummed.  Obviously out of warranty and I wasn't comfortable with trying to take it apart.  I did find an authorized service center not too far away (good).  The tech/owner suggested that if the rubber pads needed replacing, a set was $50 (for the whole board... if doing one, might as well do them all) and it would probably take a couple of hours of bench time.  I was relieved as that seemed pretty reasonable.  But as suggested in other posts I ended up just taking a can of compressed air and blowing in the cracks around the funky key and to my amazement and relief it fixed the problem.  Whew!

So I've determined that the unit is running firmware version 1.10.  (Which gives me a clue to the age of the unit... manufactured prior to April 2018, I guess).  I've read about the expression pedal improvement (I'm currently just using an M-Audio SP2 sustain pedal... damper pedal might be nice) and the esoteric ;) drum recording issue that Jokeyman123 discovered that was corrected in 1.16.  And the other unspecified "improving certain operations".   Not sure I have a compelling reason to upgrade, just wondering if anyone has any other experiences to add.  Thanks to everyone on the forum.  Knowing this community is out there was not an insignificant part of my decision to buy this KB.  :)   

Edited by BrixeyBrian
Text
  • Like 1

I had to Google to find my on posts, i do this alot now since there are hundreds! EEsshh!  Except for the expression pedal bug, and the drum editing bug with the sequencer, I also have no idea what might have been improved-must be software routines Casio doesn't want us to know about-software hackers are everywhere, but I wouldn't mind knowing knowing more specifically what they did-might be a translation issue, or copyright. Problem with these "transparent" firmware updates, they may have corrected other bugs that will only appear with specific key combinations-or software tasks that might not be apparent unless one puts the instrument through some grueling uses-like me. Keep in mind-if it ain't broke...and once you go forward, you cannot go back to an earlier firmware version which is common practice with any keyboard or module I've owned. Mine started on 1.14 and was fine-until I tried recording a multitrack with an edited drumkit, and it created a very strange DSP type of tremelo effect-completely foobared the entire set, but only when I recorded it, playing it from the keys was fine, and only with my drumkit edits, not the factory sets. Casio did pay attention, and did fix it, pretty quickly too, me happy.

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/13978-new-px560-arrived-with-firmware-v112-should-i-update-immediately-to-v114/

Edited by Jokeyman123

Thanks for the recapitulation JokeyMan!  Yup, I think I'll go with "if it ain't broke".  I'll probably never put it through the paces that you have so it's unlikely that I'll run into those issues.  Thanks for the response and for all of your informative (and entertaining) posts here.  ;)