Video Files on Forum ×

Owners of PX S1100 or S3100

DeltaJockey

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any recent owners of these updated models could confirm with me whether they actually transmit release velocity externally now.

As many know, despite the 1000/3000 midi implementation stating that they do, this is not the case, and it just outputs a constant value of 64.

I originally bought my 3000 to include as a controller for vst pianos, so release vel is important to me, and one of the reasons I opted for the PXS. (My old 5S did have it). I had no way of knowing beforehand that this was not the case, and was very disappointed. As I have other keyboards, I to tend not to use the Casio as much now for piano, but if the updated models do support it now, I might consider upgrading. I just need to know that the output into a DAW produces the variable release parameters.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a PX-S3100 so can't speak directly...

Can you connect to Midiox-which will show release velocity values-very important for simulating acoustic piano sounds and I thought one of the benefits of the AIR piano sound engine, to trigger the sound of the hammer being lifted from the strings which works well in my 560, and is also useful for realistic harpsichord tones I think and Clavinet. I think the old CZ's even had a setting for controlling the release velocity but my memory might be faulty on that one. I seem to remember using it to trigger an entirely different sound upon key release when I programmed CZ tones.

If it is isn't implemented in the 3000, I can only guess it wouldn't have been added to the 3100-and possibly be incorporated into a firmware update. its early on, maybe Casio will consider that.

I don't think we have any forum members with one of the new models.  They were just announced for release here (the US) on Jan 19.  It will take some time to see anyone with one of these.

https://www.casio.com/news/detail/casio-privia-px-s3100-digital-piano-offers-stunning-realism-and-performance-at-a-highly-affordable-price

• Like 1

thanks to both of you for your replies. I am left confused, as I know they are only recently released, however there are several people on this forum asking questions about theirs, which when I saw the threads, guessed there were people who already had them. Certainly some of our music stores in Australia have listed them in stock since before Christmas! Are they being overly optimistic?

Jokeyman, I have the capability to monitor MIDI messages, which is why I discovered my 3000 didn't transmit release velocity originally. I'm not willing to risk updating to a 3100, unless I can confirm this is functional, as it provides no extra advantage for all the extra cost. Which is why I'm asking, as I don't have one to test.

I get the feeling it's like the elephant in the room with Casio, as my several queries previously with my 3000 has Casio very silent on the issue. I just want to know, one way or the other. As the midi implementation for the 3000 states it does transmit release velocity.

So I can't just look at the specs for the 3100 and trust this is correct. It's turning a simple query into a big discussion. I'm thinking it's just not worth the risk, and would be best to assume the answer is no.

Thanks very much for doing that Mike. I guess it's saved me upgrading for that reason. Perhaps down the track I might purchase one for the other reasons.

Interestingly I downloaded the user manual with the MIDI implementation chart for the 3100, and noticed a slight difference in the the description of release velocity.

For the 3000, it says....yes transmitted  1 to 127, which is obviously a misprint. In the 3100 manual,  the description states yes transmitted, 64.

Transmitting a fixed 64 is normally equal to a no. Subtle wording in my view! As the yes is a circle, it would be easy to miss this if you were scanning quickly.

Anyway thanks, at least it's settled for me now🙂