Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S1000V: First impression good, but ...

I own the CT-S1000V since yesterday. My first impression (appearance, workmanship, sound) was very positive. But the more I look into the details, the more disappointed I am. This is mainly due to the following points:

1.) I have not yet found a way to adjust the volume of the individual parts of a rhythm. Apparently you can't even mute them. 

2.) Did I understand the manual correctly that I have to assign a sound parameter (e.g. Reverb Send) to a knob before I can change the parameter's value? This is extremely cumbersome, even with a manageable number of parameters. Why can't I do sound editing via the menu? 

3.) How do I create/modify rhythms? I know that this isn't possible directly on the keyboard and I can live with that. But since there are memory locations for user rhythms, I'm wondering which way to get alternative styles. Is there a software I can use to create/modify rhythms?

4.) Do I understand correctly that the (system-wide) send effects are not editable, but can only be used as presets without any parameters?

Disclaimer: I know that the CT-S1000V is not placed as a professional arranger keyboard, it's more of a crazy fun keyboard for home use. I'm also not asking for deep editing capabilities. But the above mentioned points should be self-evident even for simpler keyboards. 

Edited by krunchr

I'm following this topic in hopes these questions and others are answered......I've been away from arranger boards for a few years (last one was MXZ) and am intrigued by the CTS 500/1000v as a sketchpad.

nervous about the Casio "MIDI Recorder." I'm assuming it's the same as in S400? Would it be possible to create rhythms by dedicating one track of sequencer to a kit voice and then building via finger drumming?

going to guess there's no editing -- is it possible to loop, say, an 8-bar section of a tune that uses 5 or 6 tracks?

read the manual and missed instructions on how to save samples that have been captured by the keyboard....are they saved within a "song"?

the videos suggest it's possible to create a custom chain of effects for a voice Chorus>Reverb>Delay or whatever -- but I'm not clear on how to do it or if it's possible to save those and apply to other voices/registrations/songs....

thanks in advance....

TM

Hi krunchr,

I think that all your concerns/criticisms are a consequence of the very conception of the Casiotone lineup, which, in a simmilar way as the Yamaha's PSR-E series, is intended to provide affordable, simple, fun and easy-to-use keyboards, albeit with pretty good sound quality, but in no way professional or studio-like products, as they have important limitations in aspects that are so basic for "serious" users. Even though, they're still very useful for rehearsals or for sketching up ideas, and obviously for just having fun :)

1) Yes, AFAIK both in the Casiotone and in the PSR-E series accompaniments aren't editable at all, and this includes the inablity to remap timbres, mute tracks, edit panning/effects/volume of each track and so on. You cannot either create new rythms and accompaniments from the keyboard itself, although you can load new rythms.

2) I don't own neither a CT-S1000V nor a CT-S500 (I've got a CT-S400), but it's probably true that you can't set effect send levels directly from the menu. At least in the S400, you can select the reverb/chorus type but not the send level for each channel. You have to use midi CC 91 and 93, but, as an another silly limitation, keyboard channels (upper 1/2 and lower) are not controllable via midi, so there is no way to set the effect send level for those channels. In the PSR-E series keyboard channels aren't either midi controllable, but at least you can set the effect send level from the menu.

3) I just don't know what kind of software or file format are used for user rythms, but probably other people in the forum will know better.

4) See the reply to 2). You can select the effect type but not the parameters or even the send levels. The send levels can be set via midi but this does not affect to the keyboard channels, at least in the CT-S400 (don't know about the CT-S1000V, but probably it will be the same).

What I like most from the CT-S is the format (light and compact, possibility of batteries...) and the sound quality of the AiX engine, very good for the money. But they can be very frustating when trying to use them in the studio as a "serious" music creation tool. If someone can only invest in one keyboard and the budget is limited, I'd recommend trying to get a low-end Yamaha PSR-S or PSR-SX or a Korg PA. They are far more flexible and capable as music creation tools, and honestly, the also sound better. Also, for some strange reason, Casio keyboards in Europe are significantly more expensive than in other regions/countries (that's not the case with Yamaha). For instance, while in the US you can get a CT-S1000V for about $450 (around 395 Euro), in Europe it costs about 475 Euro (around $540). Considering that you can get a PSR-SX600 for just a bit over 600 Euro, there’s little point in investing nearly 500 Euro in the CT-S. At this point, the CT-400, which costs in Europe about 230 Euro, makes more sense as a rehearsal/fun keyboard.

2 hours ago, Shad0wfax said:

I think that all your concerns/criticisms are a consequence of the very conception of the Casiotone lineup,

Hi all --

I agree. Chas made a comment in a different thread that rang true: "They are NOT Arranger keyboards, nor are they Workstations. They are a line of keyboards that hark back to the vintage Casiotones of the 80s". Amen. As to the rhythms, it's almost as if Casio marketing buried auto-accompaniment as to not offend the never-arranger crowd. The launch event even positioned the in-built speakers as convenient "courtesy speakers".

To me, the CT-S1000V feels like a low- to mid-range synth with (limited) patch "quick edit." I view the rhythms like the "arpeggios" in the MOX/MOXF synths. They're nice to have around. The five button section switching reminds me of playing MOX arpeggios using its soft buttons.

As to krunchr's points, the CT-S1000V cannot edit rhythms or do many of things that one can do with an arranger keyboard. Yep, you must assign a parameter to a knob in order to change the parameter value. This means more button presses. It's as cumbersome as the microKorg XL+ with its three knobs. System effect parameters are nowhere to be found; it's presets only. This latter limitation is a bit of a bummer as I like to sort out Room 1 vs. Room 2 vs. Room 3 etc. by making a table of parameter values and comparing.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Just want to drop a compliment about the keyboard feel. After playing it for a while, it handles synth, e.piano and organ pretty well.

• Like 2

Thanks to all for your feedback. 

The CT-S1000V does indeed recall the special charm of Casio keyboards from the early 80s.  It's a great toy -- in a positive sense. 

Despite my criticisms, the new Casio is a great product. I like the design, the weight, the compact dimensions, the battery compartment and even the built-in speakers. I still would have liked to see a little "deeper" editing. Not much, just a little. 😉

@pjd - quoted me from another thread, and yup, half the problem is people expecting the new Casiotones to be something that they are not, and have never been advertised as being. They are in effect supercharged versions of "home keyboards", as in all in one, easy to use and mostly preset based. The same philosophy that harks back to the original Casiotones of the early 1980s, and exactly why they come under the "Casiotone" product line name, not "Casio" as per their other keyboards.

Casio often "thinks outside the box" and sometime produces keyboards that can't be pigeonholed within a more conventional industry standard line-up. A similar thing happened with the XW-P1 and XW-G1, where people "assumed" that they were workstations when that was never what they designed to be. Look at the technical specifications, advertising blurb and the information on the box - they clearly state what these keyboards can do (both these new Casiotones and also the XW's). And if it doesn't state that they are arrangers/ workstations, don't expect arranger/ workstation features!

To answer some of @krunchr's points:

1.) I have not yet found a way to adjust the volume of the individual parts of a rhythm. Apparently you can't even mute them. 

They are preset rhythms already optimised. You have two variations, two fill ins, an intro and an ending option. This is in line with the Casiotone "home keyboard" philosophy.

2.) Did I understand the manual correctly that I have to assign a sound parameter (e.g. Reverb Send) to a knob before I can change the parameter's value? This is extremely cumbersome, even with a manageable number of parameters. Why can't I do sound editing via the menu? 

If you mean ACT DSP,  Hit "Menu" > "ACT DSP" > "Parameter" > "Phaser" (or whatever effect is available on the screen), then you will get a menu with all the parameters that you can change for that effect (use the "<" and ">" buttons to scroll through the individual parameters, and the "+" and "-" buttons (or jog wheel) to adjust them.

3.) How do I create/modify rhythms? I know that this isn't possible directly on the keyboard and I can live with that. But since there are memory locations for user rhythms, I'm wondering which way to get alternative styles. Is there a software I can use to create/modify rhythms?

You can load in rhythms created elsewhere, mostly from other Casio keyboards. Check out P.253 of the User Guide where it shows that you can load in User Rhythms from a USB flash drive to the keyboard, using the file format AC7, CKF, Z00. 

Check this link to the downloads section where you can find many additional rhythms to download:

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/68-rhythms/

FWIW, I have managed to load in a non S1000V .AC7 rhythm file into one of my S1000V's User Rhythms slots.  

4.) Do I understand correctly that the (system-wide) send effects are not editable, but can only be used as presets without any parameters?

That appears to be the case, though each effect has preset parameter options to choose from. Think of it like those old Roland Junos with built in chorus effect where you could select "Off, 1, 2 or 3". For most scenarios the presets will cover usual needs. Look at P.107 onward of the User Guide where it explains the available SYS FX effects to choose from, and also the presets available for each of these effects. 

I've now spent the better part of a week and a half with my S1000V, and I'm still learning its features and how to operate it. It has some surprisingly powerful features and some really good sounds, plus it's great fun to play using it the way it is intended to be used - as a standalone keyboard with selectable presets. That's not to say it isn't customizable, and by using its many effects, options for splitting the keyboard and its very nice sounding filter you can get some very unique sounds and compositions out of it.  If I have any caveats, it's that it's taken me a little time to start to grasp the UI and also the workflow, and I'm still not 100% up to speed with it plus I often run into hurdles and brick walls trying to get it to do something I want. The manual is pretty good (much better than the XW-P1/ G1 manuals, that were way thinner while covering a keyboard with far more features!), but sometimes it doesn't always seem clear. Part of that could be me, part of that could be that as mentioned earlier, the workflow is different to other keyboards because the whole approach to a Casiotone is different.

Criticisms so far is that some of the importing of data to and from the keyboard makes no sense.  For instance, it will happily load .WAV files into the sample memory from a USB flash drive, but if you export a sample captured by the S1000V to a USB flash drive it saves it in a proprietary format that (so far) cannot be read and/ or used properly by audio editors. Also, you can export Tone, Rhythm and Multi-track recordings from the S1000V as .MID files, but you cannot load these same files back in to the S1000V as .MID files! Had this been possible, then the .MID files could be edited in an external MIDI editor for customisation and then re-imported back into the S1000V.

The only way round this would be some form of converting software/ app, and I'm surprised that so far there doesn't appear to be a "Data Editor" app available that can edit all the parameters via a computer and also deal with converting files to and from the Casiotone. The XW-G1 Data Editor app had this feature, so even though it used proprietary formats for using audio samples, the Data Editor could convert/ import/ export samples as standard .WAV files.

I'd like to see a Data Editor from Casio that would allow access to control all the features of the S1000V from a more easy to use computer app, the ability to edit and customize .AC7 rhythms and .MID mutli-track recordings for use in the S1000V, plus the ability to convert its .SPM and .SPD sample files to the universal .WAV standard. That's what I hope for, but even if that doesn't happen, being a studio based musician I can work around many of the issues by using my computer based DAW and multi-track facilities.  For those that want it to be a fully customizable and editable all in one keyboard for playing live, then that goes back to people expecting it to be something that it is not meant to be (a workstation or arranger). Unless of course Casio comes out with the aforementioned app that can create Songs/ Rhythms/ MIDI files for use in the S1000V (and S500).

Perhaps the best way to approach the S1000V is as a home keyboard that can stray into professional keyboard territory (and that's exactly what it is), rather than a professional keyboard straying into home keyboard territory. Its price point is the giveaway, as is the product line of it being a Casiotone. It's still a great value for money keyboard for what it offers, and importantly, it's incredibly good fun and inspiring to play. Despite its limitations and that I have access to much more powerful synths, I'm having an absolute blast with mine. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Hi Chas --

Your comment resonated with me. Sorry that I didn't cross-link/quote your comment in the other thread. (I'm still learning this forum interface.)

The CT-S500/-S1000V challenge the Yamaha MX as well as the E-series. The MX streets at $770USB, making the S500 (in particular) a bargain.

All the best -- pj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup Chas — this is my thinking in all manner of music making. I had a motif years ago and was using mainly for the arp rhythm patterns. But searching was cumbersome (MODX might be worse!) and I walked away in search of something more basic.

now considering one of these CTS and trying to decide if any lingering workstation bias might prevent me from digging it. Example: just looked for a swing adjustment on rhythm or in the recorder and didn’t find….is it possible? Thanks for this helpful thread

I was going to start my own thread about this, but my comments are similar.   I've had this keyboard for 5 days and have used it quite a bit and taken it to band practice.   I should say that I'm really not a keyboard player, I should probably be banned from touching a keyboard :D  but I play anyway.  But, I am perhaps the target customer -- I play music, but can't justify a super expensive instrument.    Anyway. the sounds are amazing, keys feel great (I really like the texture) responsiveness feels great for a keyboard this price.  it's a great size too.  There is quite a bit of control with regard to effects and settings.     This is definitely going on stage with me.

But I have to wonder why not put just a little more effort into the design to make it completely awesome.    Gripes follow:

* registration - don't even know why it's called registration, but you can't label anything.  And why banks and numbers?    Why not have just 200 registrations available that you can label?

* What's up with an external bluetooth thing.   Why isn't it just built in?  It's another thing to lose/misplace or wear out the multi-use USB jack.  It also means yanking it out when you want to use a USB drive

* Why ANOTHER USB port that's micro USB??   Seriously, who has a USB-C to micro USB lying around?  No one.  So, you bring the keyboard home, and you can't even do your own vocal stuff.  Total non-instant gratification

*  Again, why a cable anyway for the lyric stuff?  It's 2022 -- it should be bluetooth.  Indeed there's a bluetooth adapter included, but yet it has no good purpose

* Last thing about the USB:  It's on the back of the unit, which is really inconvenient to get to and will for sure get knocked out when someone bumps into it (I have a Yamaha where the USB is on the front and recessed)

*  I don't understand the categories of the patches.  They mostly make sense, but then there are a couple of categories that are a mix of tones -- why aren't they in with their respective category?  Why is casio classic its own category?

* would like to see an easy way to change tones in a live setting.  The videos make it look so easy, but in fact, as was recommended in a different topic here, you basically have to save a registration and then write down on paper what setting is in which bank/number (again, year is 2022, I forget how to use a pen).

Hey, actually if anyone is actually still reading this, I got an issue with running both left and right outputs that is the same issue as my wk-7600:  If I connect just the left output, everything sounds great.  When I connect both the left and right, there's a buzz.  Actually, if I connect the left, and simply plug into the right without connecting the other end to anything, it buzzes.  Anyone have any idea about this?   On stage, I want to connect to the house PA and also my own little amp, but the buzz is annoying, but so strange it happens on my other Casio keyboard too.  Thanks!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pjd said:

The CT-S500/-S1000V challenge the Yamaha MX as well as the E-series. The MX streets at $770USB, making the S500 (in particular) a bargain.

The CT-S500/S1000V and the Yamaha MX might be simmilar in size and price, but they are really very different machines. The Casios are conceived for 'plug and play', with speakers, accompaniments, almost no sound editing capabilities, etc. while the MX is a synthesizer with full editing capabilites (from the oscillator/waveform level), no accompaniment (other than some rythm patterns/arpeggios), no speakers, full access to 16 midi channels, etc. That is not to say that in terms of sound quality they are comparable, as the AiX sound source is very good, but the MX is clearly more intended to be used in a studio setup or for playing live with other musicians (e.g. instant access to 16 channels makes it very easy to change sounds on the fly in a song), while the CT-S is more for entertainment/rehearsal/sketching up ideas for futther developing in the studio.

• Like 1

I am amazed no one here mentions the lack of 5 pin din midi and how to connect the CT-S1000V to an external Keyboard Workstation or Sequencer or 88 note midi controller? I mean, how cool would it be to trigger all those vocal speech synth phrases with a Roland MC80EX midi sequencer or Yamaha RS7000 groovebox sampler. or heck a Yamaha KX88 midi controller with 88 keys and aftertouch hello?? If the USB port allows for a USB bluetooth device can't you plug in say, a M-Audio Midisport usb to 5 pin din interface cable and use the CT-S1000V in a normal Midi setup like in the past? Or at least be able to hook it up to a Computer system that does NOT have blue tooth and requires a USB cable to allow use of this keyboard in a DAW. Truly truly amazed no one has tried this at all and I have been mentioning this since the release of the keyboard! I would love it if CASIO could send ME one of these CT-S1000V keyboard to do a full review for FREE. I am on a fixed income so it would have to be free. But all the questions people are asking including myself, would be answered! Thats for sure 😛

Edited by pianokeyjoe
adding more info.

29 minutes ago, pianokeyjoe said:

If the USB port allows for a USB bluetooth device can't you plug in say, a M-Audio Midisport usb to 5 pin din interface cable and use the CT-S1000V in a normal Midi setup like in the past?

No.  The "USB to device" port only works with flash drives or the Bluetooth adapter.  No other devices will work on that port.

The "USB to host" port requires a host device. Other devices which requires a host themselves (like the USB to MIDI adapter you mentioned) will not connect to it

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Brad Saucier said:

No.  The "USB to device" port only works with flash drives or the Bluetooth adapter.  No other devices will work on that port. 

The "USB to host" port requires a host device.  Other devices which requires a host themselves (like the USB to MIDI adapter you mentioned) will not connect to it. 

LOL! THANKYOU!!! Finally! You my good sir I have been asking this in different threads and Youtube comments for weeks and never got a straight forward answer. Thankyou Brad! Well ok, so this means I would not be able to midi control the keyboard from a PC either.. Damn, there goes that idea lol! Well Lets wait and see if Casio makes and upgrade that has wired midi(usb or din or both) that we can control the voice speech singing synth with. I have songs ready that need a virtual singer since as an older man now, my voice no longer reaches the level of higher pitches I need for my songs in my head..I had the voice as a teen, but the tech was not there , now I have the tech but the voice is not there lol! Wow. Amen! Well this helps my buying decision for now then.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:39 PM, Chas said:

They are preset rhythms already optimised. You have two variations, two fill ins, an intro and an ending option. This is in line with the Casiotone "home keyboard" philosophy.

I don't expect to be able to edit or create rhythms in detail. In multitimbral sound generators, the level of the single parts is an essential parameter.  This has nothing to do with optimization, but rather with adaptation to one's own listening habits and/or the current musical context. From this point of view, a rhythm cannot be optimized at all. I almost always mute individual parts of styles/rhythms or reduce the volume of certain parts. This often reduces the cheesy character of a typical accompaniment.

If you mean ACT DSP,  Hit "Menu" > "ACT DSP" > "Parameter" > "Phaser" (or whatever effect is available on the screen), then you will get a menu with all the parameters that you can change for that effect (use the "<" and ">" buttons to scroll through the individual parameters, and the "+" and "-" buttons (or jog wheel) to adjust them.

No, not DSP effect parameters. I actually meant the Casio's few sound parameters like envelopes, modulation, effect send etc. See pages EN-94 / EN-95. 

You can load in rhythms created elsewhere, mostly from other Casio keyboards. Check out P.253 of the User Guide where it shows that you can load in User Rhythms from a USB flash drive to the keyboard, using the file format AC7, CKF, Z00. 

Check this link to the downloads section where you can find many additional rhythms to download:

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/68-rhythms/

FWIW, I have managed to load in a non S1000V .AC7 rhythm file into one of my S1000V's User Rhythms slots.  

Thank you for the very helpful link. This does not solve my basic problem with the rhythm part levels, but expands my choice of available styles. 

That appears to be the case, though each effect has preset parameter options to choose from. Think of it like those old Roland Junos with built in chorus effect where you could select "Off, 1, 2 or 3". For most scenarios the presets will cover usual needs. Look at P.107 onward of the User Guide where it explains the available SYS FX effects to choose from, and also the presets available for each of these effects. 

The analog chorus effect of an early 80's synthesizer is hard to compare to the capabilities of a current digital keyboard 😉. When I work with delay effects, for example, I want to have access to at least the delay time and feedback. That's really not too much to ask in the context of any delay fx.

Anyway, thanks for your time to answer my questions so detailed. 

2 hours ago, pianokeyjoe said:

Well ok, so this means I would not be able to midi control the keyboard from a PC either.. 

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question here, but you absolutely can control the S1000V/ keyboard from a PC. The "USB to Host" port connects to any host device, i.e. whatever computer you are using to run your DAW or MIDI app. The Class Compliant (no drivers needed) S1000V will show up as one of the connected devices, and in the app/ DAW you can choose how to implement its midi, i.e. send/ receive. If you have a master keyboard controller simultaneously connected, you can then add the S1000V as a midi sound module and use your master keyboard to trigger/ control it. You can also map the S1000V's parameters to your master keyboard and/ or control them through your DAW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, moontom said:

just looked for a swing adjustment on rhythm or in the recorder and didn’t find….is it possible? Thanks for this helpful thread

Unfortunately, there is no swing adjusted or option available on the rhythms. And the recording feature is purely real time only,  what you play into the recorder is exactly what it will play back with no editing/ quantizing/ swing available.

• Like 1

@ChasThankyou too sir! Ok, so it is not a case of a isolated to the keyboard only voice synth tech.. Oh man! I was sooo very disheartened because I DO understand the Casiotone methodology and why it is what it is but that SINGING text to Speech synth is the ONLY reason I will buy it so I can control the phrases and words with my sequencers and bigger keyboard and do things I could have only dreamed of or imagined.. As stated before, my voice is not what it used to be so I have to use "help " now 😛 . I should be able to get this unit sometime in the Summer when I am able to drive down to FLA and visit the local music stores down there. It seems as Brad had stated that the Casio is not a USB HOST enabled device even though it does allow hosting the midi/audio bluetooth device and flash drives only. SO there IS a $50 USB HOST midi dongle/box sold that will allow UBS only midi controllers and synths and keyboards to connect to 5 pin din instruments without the use of a computer. This of course only works if the Casio has that TO HOST USB port. So I am assuming it is the micro USB port? So I need to still buy an android micro usb to standard type A usb male cord> But that is not too bad as long as I can do it.. Well I have gotten more answers today on this issue than ever so I am thankful to all of you! I will undoubtedly give my take on this new keyboard when I get it.

FWIW, the Micro USB B connector is the same as used in many older smart phones. I still have a Micro USB B to USB 2.0 Samsung branded cable that worked absolutely fine with my S1000V. I also bought a much longer universal version of this cable when I  got my CT-S300  a couple of years ago so that I had enough length to comfortably have the Casiotone on my desk and connected to my PC. This longer universal cable also works with my new CT-S1000V. 

Much of the confusion seems to come from the full sized USB port in the S1000V that can only be used for file/ data  transfer from flash drives, along with wireless midi and audio  streaming via a Bluetooth dongle,  while the Micro USB B socket is exclusively being used to transfer lyric data from the phone app. It appears that some are assuming that the Micro USB B socket is only for the lyric app, when it actually doubles as the connector used for a wired Midi USB connection. 

Edited by Chas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok @Brad Saucierand @Chas! Thankyou guys! I actually bought a 10ft and 6ft micro usb to USB A cords for my Samsung Flight II phone way back in the day and still have both some where so ok. I am happy now. I did find out my Samsung Galaxy A01 works with the Lyric app and it has usb midi support so I am ready to go as soon as I get the Casio keyboard! I will give my first impressions once I got my keyboard.

13 hours ago, pianokeyjoe said:

SO there IS a $50 USB HOST midi dongle/box sold that will allow UBS only midi controllers and synths and keyboards to connect to 5 pin din instruments without the use of a computer. This of course only works if the Casio has that TO HOST USB port. So I am assuming it is the micro USB port?

I solved the problem of missing MIDI ports with an old Raspberry Pi I still had in the drawer. 

I followed the steps described in the link below exactly. This solution has the advantage over the commercial MIDI host adapters that you can also let USB MIDI devices (without MIDI DIN connectors) talk to each other. 

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=19736

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1