Video Files on Forum ×

Piano keys making a second loud sound at the moment of release

sai

Hello guys,
My piano has been having this problem with the keys' sound since a couple of months now. Earlier I thought it was a fluke or a one off thing due to the pedalling but now it is occurring with more and more frequency day by day. This loud sound when I leave the key is also coming in between when I am playing a piece and messing with the flow and harmony.
Why is this happening? As far as I know it is happening only with the three keys that I played (2 F#s and an Eb). I was not pressing the pedal when this video was taken.
Is there any setting that I can change to stop this or do I have to take it to an authorized service center for repair? Please help me.  

My first guess is always dirty keyboard sensors. Sometimes compressed air between the offending keys (more descriptions can be found elsewhere on these forums) will do the trick. If you're savvy and it's not under warranty, you can try taking it apart and cleaning the sensors. But if you're not wanting to do that or it's still under warranty, authorized service is your best bet.

Also, since two of the keys doing it are the same note, I do wonder if it's another problem besides dirty key contacts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I you don't think you will get more ideas from what you have already received on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PX5SPX560/posts/4728942540564620/

Were you able to use a compressed air can?

And if you tried to include a second video, it's not working; you may want to edit your message.

Edited by AndrewL

10 hours ago, AndrewL said:

I you don't think you will get more ideas from what you have already received on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PX5SPX560/posts/4728942540564620/

Were you able to use a compressed air can?

And if you tried to include a second video, it's not working; you may want to edit your message.

Hey Andrew, thanks for the response, it so happened that I posted the same video asking the same questions on both FB and this forum at the same time. I did try out blowing below the keys with a canister of compressed air and the frequency of occurrence of the problem has reduced. But still it persists and I do not know when one of those black keys will give out a re-sound again if pressed too hard. So I guess authorized service is my best bet for now

The only thing i can think of-the part of the key that compresses the rubber boot is getting slightly stuck on the top of the boot when it makes contact initially. when the key returns back-it is pulling the rubber boot up briefly then releasing it when it gets free under the key-and causes the boot to hit the carbon contacts again, making a double strike. compressed air could work as you found out-but if the rubber boot or more than one are getting sticky or losing resilience over time-possibly even staying compressed after the key comes up-could cause a double strike. I've had no trouble with my 560 like this for three years running and these rubber boots should remain pretty flexible for a long time. with 3 sensors close together, wouldn't take much contamination to cause a double strike. Why I keep my keys covered, takes alot of work sometimes when the cause can be as minor as a bit of dust or a temporarily distorted rubber sensor.

• 2 months later...