Video Files on Forum ×

Buying Advice - Key Quality, Longevity, ...?

Oh_Man

Hello,

Looking at one in my area that looks to be owned by a gigging musician.

Curious how the keys and their hammer action mechanics would be holding up?

Do they suffer the semi 'clackiness' of other Casio boards?

And reading a review on SoundOnSound they said it's "bouncy for one with such a short front‑to‑back scale".

What does short front to back scale mean...shorter keys?

Any issues I should be looking for or asking the seller about?

O

How old is the PX5s?  Was it gigged with 2 nights a month or 5 nights a week?  Many factors involved in buying a used keyboard.  I've had my PX5s since October 2013.  I've used it for rehearsals and gigging 10 times a month or more.  I've had it in for servicing 2 times in 8+ years!   If the price is right...

The PX5S/PX350/360/560 do not have short-scale keys. This refers to the newer slimline CDP's and PX-S3000/3100/1100/1000. I like the longer-scale keys, just my preference since I grew up practicing on Steinway grands which have "long-throw" keys, at least that is my take. I've been playing the 350, now 560-same key construction as the PX5S, and mine have held up reasonably well, but I do not gig regularly with them. You can study my many posts here regarding my mods in particular for the PX350 which is closest to the PX5S.

This key action business is very much a matter of personal preference. If you do some research regarding this, you will see musicians are all over the place with this. I also play regularly a much more expensive workstation with a Fatar TP40 keyboard-used in many keyboards with piano actions. I have no problem going back and forth from one to the other Privia or Fatar. Even each of the most expensive acoustics will vary from brand to brand, and even instrument to instrument. Your own experiences will be the best way to find out what is best for you.

Thank you all for the input, I was clearly too slow on the draw and someone else snagged it.
It looked a little rough for wear with the corners kinda looking banged up / paint removed so perhaps used a little harder than not.

Anyway kinda immaterial now but good knowledge to have if another should come up in my area.

• Like 1