Video Files on Forum ×

Reverb/Chorus with knobs (PX-S3000)

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

If I choose Reverb/Chorus send for the live knobs (#11 in the Knob Set List), do these knobs now add ADDITIONAL reverb/chorus depth (on top of whatever reverb/chorus depth is already chosen/configured) or does the knob now just adjust the level of what is chosen/configured?  

Not sure if I'm asking this clearly so here is an example: if I have reverb depth on the piano set at 10, and then I use the knob set up for "Reverb Send" and turn it all the way to the left, will I have adjusted the piano reverb depth to 0?  or to 10?  

Edited by Piano Tone

• Piano Tone changed the title to Reverb/Chorus with knobs (PX-S3000)

No, it does not add additional reverb/chorus. In your example, when you turn it all the way to the left, you will have adjusted it to zero. You should be able to hear this if you experiment.

I will use an example using registrations. Say I saved a guitar registration with reverb at 50 and chorus at 25.  No matter what the two knobs on the left are set at, when you recall the registration the sound will play with reverb at 50 and chorus at 25. This will hold true until you move any of the knobs. Once you move any knob (either the reverb or chorus), it will then set the reverb or chorus to the level percentage of the knob. I hope that makes sense. This is how it works on my keyboard. I should also say that I am not sure if adjusting any of the freeze settings would change this behavior.

Hopefully I understood your question correctly, but if not, please respond back. Thanks.

Hey there - thanks for that - I was thinking that would be how it works but it doesn't look like it is (it's actually a bit confusing).  I will upload a video when I have time to show this, but the behavior I observed was kind of bizarre:

- when you move the knobs, it doesn't change the reverb depth shown on the menu

- I set the reverb depth on the menu from default of 64 to max of 127, and compared the reverb level (in my headphones) to NOT using the depth in the menu, but using the knob instead and the knob gave me dramatically more reverb when maxed than the menu setting did (it appears that the knob has a bigger range)

- I turned the knob to 0 reverb, and switched the knobs to a different usage (not reverb anymore), and went in to the menu, and no matter what I set the menu reverb to, I got zero reverb, even tried switching the reverb types around and moving the depth up and down, zero reverb

It seems like once I use the knob for reverb, it seems to take over reverb control from the menu setting, and even if I switch the knobs to something else, I will be left at whatever reverb level I last used the knob at.  Have to play with it some more, but it's weird enough I may not use that feature.  I will try to upload a video demonstrating this in the next few days.

Here's a video trying to demonstrate the issue.  It seems that:

• when reverb is assigned to the knob, knob adjustments to reverb are independent of the reverb depth level (the depth on the menu doesn't change, and when the reverb on the knob is at max, it is significantly more reverb than the depth will give you when max'd without the knob)
  • if you have adjusted reverb using the knob, then switch the knob to another use, reverb will be "stuck" at wherever the knob level "left it", and depth adjustments on the menu no longer have any effect on the reverb

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if this behaviour is normal/expected and I am just misunderstanding something . . .

Edited by Piano Tone
Original link was bad

• Solution

Those are two different parameters. The system works just like an analog audio mixing board, with channel insert effects (that's your tones with DSP), and channel sends for main effects (system effects).  

Reverb depth adjusts the output level of the final processed system reverb.  This is sent to the main output of the digital piano.  

Reverb send adjusts the level of dry sound sent to the reverb effects block for processing.  Sends can be different levels for each channel (tone).  

• Like 2

Thanks so much for that (the analog mixer was a great way to explain this).   I guess the lesson I have learned from this is never save a registration after having adjusted a live control knob, or there will be no way to return that registration to it's "default/starting" position, other than using my ear to manually return the reverb level to what it was as per the depth setting.  I reset the piano to factory defaults so that I could clear that and redo my registrations (I couldn't find a way to just clear a registration).

Thanks again all for your help!