Video Files on Forum ×

WK-3200 SMF Midi file Doesn't play correctly in music software

Lurch

Hello,

When I save songs in my Song Memory on my Casio-WK-3200, in SMF format on the SD card, on occasion, they don't play correctly in programs like NTrack or Audiacity. In one song, the drums don't play. When I check the piano roll in Ntrack, the Drum events are crammed at the top of the page, in the Piano Roll Feature,  instead of being lined up down below, next to the individual percussion instruments.

In other songs the drums play fine and are position properly in Piano Roll. Anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Edited by Lurch

I don't know my way around the WK-3200 but try to find out if it is saving your midi file as a type zero or type 1 file. Might be that your software is reading a type zero file-where all the data is in one track, even though the midi channel assignments within that track can be different, and there can be many different tones assigned within that one track. If the software is looking for a type one file-where tracks are shown separately in software, this might be the problem, it might not be reading a type zero file correctly.  I use an old DAW call Jazzware, similar to the original Cakewalk-and it will automatically show a type zero file in one track-all the data is "mushed" together in one track, even though there may be many tracks including drum and percussion. It has a function to "split" the one track into its separate tracks, so I can now see each midi channel/track assignment and to what tone/pan/volume setting on my screen. Otherwise, all I see is one track, as if the midi file has only one tone or midi channel. I wouldn't use audacity for reading smf midi files. It can, but is really designed for recording, playing and editing audio files such as .wav, aiff, mp3, .ogg and many other audio formatted files. For midi files, you have to import the file first, and it doesn't always do it well depending upon the midi file you are trying to import. 

https://www.techtarget.com/searchstorage/definition/Standard-MIDI-File

Yes, all recordings on the Casio that I make use installed drum rythm patterns for the song.

For the instrument on Track 6 (Channel 10) I might assign Drum Kit 600 as the instrument in the mixer.

Then I may assign the rythm as #049 Oldies Ballad.

I'll record the other tracks using the drum kit and rythm.  That's just how i do it.

Here is what I found out today. I decided to test if the problem might be a particular drum rythm or the actual Drum set that I assign as the instrument.

I changed the drum set to 616, which I know plays fine in another song, saved as midi, load in Ntrack. Still no drums

Changed the bad Rythm (#005) "8Beat Pop 1",  to one that I know in works in another song, save as midi, load into Ntrack and drums play perfectly.

So, i'm thinkin over the years, maybe certain rythm patterns got corrupted. So is there somewhere that I can download the original data and fix it?

I see Casio has rythms etc but they are the expanded version, not my originals.

Just an update. I changed the Drum Set back To #600, but kept The Rythm # at 10 and the drums play fine in Ntrack. So it looks like the Rythm #005 was Bad.

Edited by Lurch