Video Files on Forum ×

Casio PX560 reviews

Jokeyman123

I just came across something a little unusual, to me at least. I often read reviews of various keyboards, workstations many technological things-I just like to learn something new whether the tech is old or just introduced. I discovered that for the PX560, there a relatively few user group reviews of this board-only the piano user groups seem to have the reviews. Typical user review groups-Sonic State, Sound-On-Sound, there aren't any at all, at last that I've come across. Would have been interesting to hear from some folks that typically play/compare and review "workstations"-since in some respects I consider the PX560 to be pretty close to one, and it seems to have slipped under the radar. I have played many workstations, I understand this is still considered a 'stage piano" or something similar-but being that it can edit tones, has a 17-track sequencer (yes missing a few editing features of the "big boys") and a full mixing panel for multitrack work, can save and load quite a bit of info, and has at least a few control knobs that can be used live or for recording-its very close IMO. There are many reviews comparing the piano sounds to other full-blown workstations-but that's all I've found. Anybody up for it? might have to be "numero uno"....me!

Judging from the PX-5S and PX-560 Facebook group, I think most users there use it as a stage piano first, and secondly as an arranger keyboard.  This trend might be skewed by the nature of our Facebook group, but the group is pretty large, so it might be a good representation of it overall.  It seems like the touchscreen draws many away from the PX-5S due to the touchscreen interface alone.  Seems like many users want to quickly split and layer, choose different tones, live during a performance, rather than plan ahead and create registrations for predetermined splits and layers.  The screen makes it easy to do that without much homework (reading the manual).  We know how much people don't like reading the manual.  😅

I see that. What bothers me a bit I guess, is that in the marketplace categorizing the 2 keys (560 and 5S) many of these instrument's other features (not by the musicians who play them) are overlooked, but at least to me with several workstations to create with and compare, have definite pluses that most other stage pianos just do not have. almost as though Casio has created a unique pair of "hybrid" stage pianos, just as the MZ-X, classified as strictly an "arranger" keyboard, except for those who know, is much more than just an arranger. I'd been often tempted to try one of the more expensive PSR Yamahas (I've owned a few) and always shy away as even their most expensive boards seem to lack something the Casios managed to fit in. Why I keep my eye on Casio and whatever they come out with. I've never seen a PSR with slide pots to control organ sounds and other functions for example. even many workstations may have layers/mixes, but nothing like a hex layer function, except my old Equinox. The top of the line workstations Like the Kurzeils, Montage, fantoms have this slide pot function, but where can I get an under 1000 synthesizer keyboard that has these-except with the WK/CTK's and the MZ and XW synths. To gearheads like me, these are important. and Casio seems unique in bringing something to the table that other manufacturers don't take the chance with-such as the new CTS vocal processing board. And in the past-their wind and guitar controllers which are still viable-and only Roland has anything similar at least currently. Economically not necessarily a good time to introduce luxury items, but Casio introduced the vocal synth anyway.

Edited by Jokeyman123