Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S500 / CT-S1000V Firmware Update Now Available!

6 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

That is correct.

Wonderful news!

I hope to get my S1000V updated over the next few days and check out these changes. That also means I need to make a follow up video as the "Pros and Cons" segment in my Conclusion episode needs to be updated.

I've had a quick glance over the new manual, but might have missed how to select the MIDI bank from C to A. How is this done so that Bank A is used?

Also, the loading of Vocal Synth files via USB - I take it that means that you can store Vocal Synth files outside of the app, and load and save them via USB. Does this mean that there might be a computer based app for Vocal Synth editing and creating in the works too?

Thanks again Mike and Casio for implementing these updates!

7 minutes ago, Chas said:

I've had a quick glance over the new manual, but might have missed how to select the MIDI bank from C to A. How is this done so that Bank A is used?

It has been added to the Settings section.

8 minutes ago, Chas said:

Also, the loading of Vocal Synth files via USB - I take it that means that you can store Vocal Synth files outside of the app, and load and save them via USB

Yes, the app can save lyric tone files to any location from your device.  A cable is not necessary to transfer lyrics.  The app can send lyric files from your device just like any other file transfer sharing application can (cloud drives, connected flash drives, directly to a computer, etc).    

• Thanks 2

On 10/20/2022 at 12:08 AM, Executor said:

I wonder why this has not been done in the Casio CTX? It is something that has been requested and it is one of the design flawsI wonder why this has not been done in the Casio CTX? It is something that has been requested and it is one of the design flaws

@ExecutorIt was done this way by design on the CT-X series as they are arranger focused products. Casio products have been implemented this way for years going back to the original MZ-series and before in other portable models.

In the case of the CT-S1000V it was changed because the primary feature of the instrument (Vocal Synthesis) frankly required this change. 

I'll forward your request again.

Hey all, I’m wondering if the new update allows you to play the vocal synth and the factory sounds from a midi sequencer or midi controller instead of only the general midi sounds hidden within. Im a little confused of the terminology used in explaining the update. Is that what bank A is now?
thanks

On 10/21/2022 at 5:12 PM, Jimmy wilson said:

Hey all, I’m wondering if the new update allows you to play the vocal synth and the factory sounds from a midi sequencer or midi controller instead of only the general midi sounds hidden within. Im a little confused of the terminology used in explaining the update. Is that what bank A is now?
thanks

Yes that is exactly what this does.

Hey All,

I'm currently working on a "Firmware Update" video, and have successfully update my S1000V's firmware from 01.01 to 01.02. I have also been exploring the updated features and seeing how they apply, and have a couple of questions:

The updated feature that I eagerly wanted to try is being able to use ACT DSPs over MIDI. I've gone into the MENU settings and changed "MIDI  In 1-5Ch Port" from Port C to Port A, and have indeed now been able to send MIDI data from my DAW to my S1000V and have it play with ACT DSPs in operation.

One thing I have noticed is that if I record my S1000V MIDI data into my DAW, and if I use the K1 - K3 knobs that I've assigned to some of the ACT DSP parameters during recording,  the K1 - K3 knob CC data is not recorded. When I play back a MIDI recording to the S1000V, any knobs changes I made during the recording that affected the ACT DSPs are not there - the recording will play back  the S1000V with the ACT DSP parameters at the point the knobs were last used (unless I change/ reset a Registration). Is it possible to record/ send ACT DSP parameter changes  over MIDI? Note that this only applies to ACT DSPs - if I use the assignable knobs for the main filter, envelopes and modulation (when activated) for instance, those are recorded over MIDI and correctly sent back to the S1000V on playback. 

Also, I have successfully recorded Registration changes over MIDI by manually changing a Registration while recording. I've looked at page 8 of the updated MIDI PDF Guide, and though it explains the use of MSB and LSB to switch Registrations, is there a list anywhere that shows what MSB and LSB values correspond to each Registration?

I've yet to try the loading of Vocal Synthesis files via USB flash drive, but I suspect that will be straight forward.

Oh, and thanks again to Casio and the powers that be for making this firmware update happen 🙂

11 hours ago, Chas said:

I've looked at page 8 of the updated MIDI PDF Guide, and though it explains the use of MSB and LSB to switch Registrations, is there a list anywhere that shows what MSB and LSB values correspond to each Registration?

Send a bank change MSB value of 116, along with an LSB value (00-15) which reflects your choice of 16 registration banks.  This sets up registration selection, but doesn't change anything yet.  Now send a program/patch change message (00-03) to select one of the 4 registrations in that bank.  Repeat the entire process for other banks and registrations.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Right, knobs don't transmit anything when editing DSP with them.  

Ah, gotcha. I was kind of concluding that after some trial and error.

Something else I also noticed with regards to the using ACT DSPs over MIDI. If you use the change registrations feature via MIDI, from a Registration that didn't have any ACT DSPs to a Registration that does have ACT DSPs, the ACT DSPs will not be activated. A Registration with ACT DSPs will only engage the ACT DSPs to be played over MIDI if the Registration is manually selected from the S1000V itself. At least, this is what I have found to be the case in my experience.

14 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Send a bank change MSB value of 116, along with an LSB value (00-15) which reflects your choice of 16 registration banks.  This sets up registration selection, but doesn't change anything yet.  Now send a program/patch change message (00-03) to select one of the 4 registrations in that bank.  Repeat the entire process for other banks and registrations.  

Thank you Brad, that makes it much clearer now 🙂

Edited by Chas

Loading Lyric files via a USB flash drive - I'm having no luck!

I've opened the mobile app on my phone, created a new test lyric, then used the "Share" option to send it to my email address as an attachment. 

Go to my email, download the attachment that is a  ".lyj"   file. Transfer that file to a flash drive that I am already using with my S1000V and place the file into the MUSICDAT folder.

Install USB flash drive into my S1000V and let it mount. I then go to - MENU> MEDIA> LOAD> VOCAL SYNTH> LYR TONE,  but get - [ERROR] No File - on the display.

All other S1000V file types on this flash drive and in the same MUSICDAT folder can be seen and loaded into the S1000V - i.e. .RRF, .MID, .SPM and .WAV

I can transfer this new lyric file no problem via the mobile app connected by USB cable to the S1000V. But if I share it via email and put the .LYJ file into the MUSICDAT folder of a flash drive, the S1000 doesn't seem able to "see" the file. Any pointers for where I'm going wrong here?

Also, just in case it's something to do with being case sensitive, I notice that the lyj file name and extension are in lower case whereas all other S1000V file name and type in the MUSIC DAT folder are all upper case. I tried changing the file name and extension to upper case, but it defaults back to lower case!

I thought that I'd better check the manual (RTFM...!), and noticed that a lyric file should have a .LYR extension. 

I renamed the file on the flash drive so it's now .lyr and not .lyj

This time the S1000V can now see the file and I can select it in the MEDIA menu, but when it tries to load it I get - [ERROR] Wrong Data

It seems that when I share the file via email it gets sent as a .lyj file. And if I try to send it via FB Messenger, it got sent with a completely different file name and with a .BIN extension 🤔

Is there a preferred method for "sharing" a lyric file from the mobile app?