Video Files on Forum ×

Selecting another Casio Keyboard

Lurch

H i Folks,

My current keyboard is the WK-3200. For the second time the numerical keypad is acting up. It changes tones by itself, plays demo tunes by itself. Casio has no replacement parts for it. I saw that a 3300 model did the same thing.

I have 2 options

1. try a repair with new stick on pads

2. buy a used keyboard

Problem is I have dozens of recorded songs that I don't want to have to do over. They are saved in Casio format .ooZ or something.

My series keyboard records onto 6 dedicated tracks which can be converted to midi format.

I notice the newer models like 7600, 6600 don't use the dedicated tracks, but rather all 16 channels directly in midi. Is this called a Sequencer instead?

I'm looking for pro/cons to going with the newer models, limiting myself to 8000 series, but it has to be portable.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Добрый день. "Крен", если у тебя нет навыков в ремонте/обращении с электроникой, и нет хорошего знакомого, который бы занялся этим инструментом, ТО лучше приобрести б/у аналогичный(благо их есть на АВИТО и т.п.). Ремонт инструмента - дорого и не всегда во-благо.

• Like 1

WK-7600 is a more powerful workstation than the WK-3200.  It has a 16 track song sequencer, with an additional 17th system track for recording the live keyboard parts plus accompaniment.   Those recordings can be converted to SMF.  The 16 individual tracks work similarly to tracks 2 through 6 of song memory on the WK-3200.  The 17th system track works similarly to track 1 of the 6 track memory on the WK-3200.  I had one of the very first WK models (WK-1250) with a 6 track song recorder like that.  It was great fun, but then I moved to the MZ-2000 with a similar recorder found in the WK-7600.  It opened up a world of new creativity.  

• Thanks 1

All very helpful. Definitely going to re-flash first. Hant7, your response is listed on my machine in a different language and I can't figure out how to translate it. I do like the lighter gray color of the Wk-3200, but haven't found any newer models with it. The features on the 7600 series are very cool.

• Thanks 1

Install Google translate in your browser. Han and I communicate all the time with it right here like that. Then you have the option of right clicking (with Windows 7 at least) and get an instant translation right here. Been pretty accurate too, not as earlier versions were so prone to not be. Here it is... (hope you don't mind Han!) Надеюсь, ты не против, Хан!

Good afternoon. "Kren", if you do not have skills in repairing / handling electronics, and there is no good friend who would deal with this tool, THEN it is better to purchase a used similar one (fortunately, they are on AVITO, etc.). Tool repair is expensive and not always good.

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jokeman.

Since my board is probably close to 20 years old and I have stripped it down to the last circuit board 3-4 times already, I think I'll try a re-flash, then use BoardWorks to replace the numerical Keypad keys. If that doesn't work, I'll convert all of my recordings to midi and move on to a newer model. My guess is a similar model is just as old and may run into the same problem all over again.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

So now, here we are a year later and after using Button Worx, they apparently lasted a year. Now my same WK-3200 is doing the same thing. What is it that goes wrong with these keypads?  What would prevent this same problem on a brand new keyboard? Is they something better than a keypad?

Still considering a 2nd keyboard. Is there a Casio model that has same features of a 7600 but comes in the light gray color?

And if I'm reading correctly, these later models save songs only in midi format and not the older .Z02?

Edited by Lurch

I have an idea, but it might be iffy since it is an older Casio, and it may have the same keypad as the older WK's. I am talking about the older PX575 or PX400. I'm mentioning these because these do save in the older .Z00 format for songs. Only 6 tracks like the WK3200 and others from that period in time. although these are definitely bigger-these are the only others i can think of that have gray colored cabinets. If you read my other posts here about my PX575-I really like this keyboard-even with piano weighted keys, the action is so nice on these-you don't have to be a piano player to play these. I've had no technical or mechanical problems with mine for 4-5 years, are rare on the used market, but IMO, even in relation to the newest WK series-this is one of the "sleeper" Casios-the 575 has no midi din ports, only midi USB, the 400 has midi din ports, both are very light to carry too, like the later PX series pianos, but these are the closest i can think of that are most similar to the best older WK's-and IDES 4.0 software designed for these, is a pretty impressive piece of software. Check these out. The fit and finish on these are also pretty solid, and both have a silver/gray metallic finish. Speaker systems on these are also pretty impressive. And Happy New Year!

Hey Jokeyman,

Very interesting. I'll be checking those out. I'd like to find something that will record to all 16 channels, just like tracks,  but still be able to save in a midi and non-midi format. But guessing it doesn't work that way. I'm also curious if any of these can somehow load a midi file but save in some non-midi format.  Since I use the keypad heavily and I'm on my 3rd repair, I'm considering getting away from anything with a numerical keypad and use something with a Dial type device. The other buttons don't seem to have a problem.

Also, my 3200 can only play a midi file with the smf player and I can never preset anything in the Mixer until after the song starts playing.  That's the only issue making me shy away from a midi only format.  But, it looks like the newer 16 track boards allow prior use of the mixer. A lot to consider. Thanks for the tips and Happy New Year.

Edited by Lurch

• 2 weeks later...