Video Files on Forum ×

Not all keys same lenght?

Maybe a strange question;

if you look closely to the keys, it appears that the keys all have a different length. They are not completely flush in line at the front. Is this normal?

The picture is from Google, but my AP-650 have the same. I also found more pics froms Casio pianos with the same ‘problem’. 

Anyone knows how this can happen and if this is normal? 6-F0-F09-AD-80-F8-46-DA-B404-FA66-DD8-BA

2 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

That (very small) variation is totally normal for any piano, digital or acoustic, all brands.  Each key is an independent fulcrum with some allowable tolerance for freedom of movement. Please do not worry.  Play your piano and enjoy it!  Congrats on your new Casio!  

Thank you! 

I’m happy with my brand new AP-650. Plays wonderful, but still I have to learn a lot :)  

• Like 1

I made some pictures for you.
You can find 4 pictures I just made over here: https://imgur.com/a/2Hd8qtm

First 2 pictures are from above, straight-on.
3rd picture is from the side, where you can clearly see the difference in length of the keys.

The 4th picture, also from above. I hold an envelope to the front of the keys.
Now it's clearly visible that there is some difference. Some of the keys are touching the envelope, some of the keys don't and are further 'back'.

I want to know of this is common. Maybe it's my OCD, but it annoys me when I look at the keyed from the front. The differences are clearly visible for me. 
Does this happen a lot with pianokeys or are they supposed to be all signed out straight?

I still have 7 days to return the piano. So if this is a fault, I can return the piano.

Am also a "bit" OCD (look at my posts!) I don't see different key lengths-I see a tiny variation as to how the keys are sitting in relation to each other front to back. Look towards the middle where the white intersects the front of the black keys, I see some of the white keys are not lined up exactly the same way-we're talking less than 1/32 of an inch from what I can see in your pics.

This is probably due to the key pivots in the back-where there might be some play front to back like Brad said, shouldn't be much. Check to see if you can move these keys a bit forward and back. I'd be more concerned about whether the keys are level in relation to each other-this would affect my technique, and i don't see that in your pics, looks pretty level across, and should stay that way. But if this key length is affecting your technique-if the keys feel unbalanced, only you can decide whether you want to return it or not. If this minor (I can barely see it and my eyes are pretty good) key length variation affects the weight of the key-affects your technique, you have to decide what to do. I have dealt with some much worse key assembly mechanical problems I've had to correct, and it wasn't from my Casios but I will check. I have the PX560 and an older PX575 both weighted, plus a few other weighted boards, I never even bothered to notice this-as long as the key action feels "right" and balanced, I'm happy and the Casios i mentioned play fine.