Video Files on Forum ×

External MIDI controller

Jamieh

Hi all, I am guitarist trying to help my girlfriend out with her PX-5s.

Is it possible to use an additional MIDI keyboard to extend the range of the zones available?
I want to set up a simple patch with string, brass and piano zones, but would like to put either strings or brass onto a separate external controller, giving her more range on the piano...

Sure, just turn off the zone which you prefer to control with an external controller.  That will stop the PX-5S keys from triggering sounds, but the sound engine will still respond to the external controller, and stage setting memory can still save and recall mixer settings for that zone.  Zones 1, 2, 3, 4 are MIDI channels 1, 2, 3, 4.  

Cool. Thanks. 
Forgive my ignorance, re MIDI, like I said, I’m a guitarist! 
Are you saying that I need to assign the controller to MIDI channel 4 (for example) in order to control Zone 4? 

What I want to achieve is the last two octaves on the main keyboard to be strings , have a brass ensemble sound from the external keyboard and the rest of the main keyboard be a straight piano sound. 

So it turns out the MIDI controller I have is a M-Audio Oxygen 25 and only has a USB socket, no MIDI. 

So this needs a printer type cable with USB 2.0 socket on the other end - which of course can plug into the USB 2.0 socket on the Casio, but I am not sure if that can be used as a MIDI controller? 
I’ve only used that socket before for a USB drive. 

Sorry I’ve taken a while to get to this, I’ve been very busy! 

I can’t figure out at all if this is even possible or what MIDI menu I need on the Casio to do anything!

The USB type B port is the only MIDI capable USB port on the PX-5S.  The flash drive port is not for MIDI.  Also, USB requires a host device to establish communication between two devices.  They can't be connected directly with a simple cable.  The host can be a computer with DAW software, or can be a dedicated USB host box for MIDI devices. 

USB and MIDI port default settings on the PX-5S are ready to accept incoming MIDI data, no configuration needed.  

What you need is the M-Audio Oxygen 8-almost identical to your 25 (I've had both at one time or another) except it has a true midi "DIN" 5-pin out port on the back-which, with the right midi din 5-pin cable, will connect directly to the same design port on the PX5s. Have to be used as these were older models-I'm seeing on E-hooey for around 50-60 dollars. Make sure the seller guarantees that it works although these M-Audios are pretty hard to destroy. If you want more octaves the Axiom 49 is an excellent controller with midi din out too but these generally are closer to 100 dollars and probably more than you need. There aren't too many inexpensive controllers that have midi din out ports to match the PX5s or other keyboards/tone modules. Or even expensive ones. Just look up 25-key controllers and see if you can view a picture of the back panel-you are looking for a 5-pin midi din female socket on the back panel, not the computer USB socket so many now have. and the Oxygen 8 has both midi din and USB.

• Like 1