Video Files on Forum ×

Headphone jacks issue or a default protection against noobs? PX-S1100

pmisiejuk

Hi. I'm the new owner of PX-S1100. It came just a week ago. I love it. BUT. every time I turn it on it works for about a minute, then the notes are shorter, sound from the speakers turns off at the end of every note AND then it completely disappears. I initially thought it's me who broke it in a minute. I let it rest for an hour AAAND it works again... so we play and the same thing happens after 5 mins of playing. We tried a few settings to guess. It still works on headphones and line outs. I restored factory settings - the same. Then a random collection of keys pressed by my 5 yo son fixed the issue - WE COULD PLAY AGAIN. then turn off -- and same happens (we didn't enable auto resume). What helped? - changing ENABLE SPEAKERS from AUTO to ON...

At this point I started the faith of the loving one - I believe its a noob protection. Imagine:
- foreigner turns it on,
- plays and enjoys
- notes are shorter, then no sound
- Foreigner believes he was unauthorized and he broke it

- he escapes :)

I called Thomann helpdesk, they want me to update firmware
But there's no firmware updates yes...

I tried. When the sound goes off on speakers AUTO- I slightly push the headphone jack plug into the socket.
Keyboard must enjoy this and the sound appears as long as I keep the jack half-in.

Something must be wrong, or this is just a love side effect...

IS IT A DEFAULT FACTORY BEHAVIOR?
I can live with this somehow, but still weird and not the best situation. Now I'm waiting for an hour to check of the auto-resume saves the speakers settings. If not - I need to call Thomann again and request a replacement.

Please help. My piano and I don't want to divorce.

Edited by pmisiejuk

I used mee audio m6 pro in-ear monitors this time with a secondary cable - with a standard in-jack microphone. They work great, flat - how I like. I hope the headphone jack socket designers expected jacks with a microphone and it didn't break the piano. 

I've worked on a few of these headphone circuits-had them disassembled, repaired 1 or 2 (my bad).

Joe you are right, there would still be audio out, possibly monophonic, or one left or right channel from a stereo field. Because its powering down on its own, and sounds dropping out completely-might be a short circuit or bad solder joint, partially disconnected ribbon cable inside, or other defective component. There could be a short in the headphone jack, which could cut off sound from the speakers since it acts as a switch with relays in it, at least this is the way my other Casio headphone jacks are designed.

Factory assembly is not always perfect from Casio, or any other manufacturer (search with Google-Roland Juno G screen defect, I had one and it was beyond repair, worse-the replacement part was just as defective-aaarrrggghhh! No electronic assembly is immune to human or robotic assembly- again look up Fatar, or my Alesis Fusions, more pain, but has kept me busy with repairs!!!!!.....sorry off topic.    💩    👹

The other possibility pmisiejuk-can you try another power supply?

Could be a bad supply or power supply jack. If that jack has a cracked or cold solder joint inside (meaning it might look like a good solder joint-but it is not making electrical conductivity, either partially or not at all-where the jack is soldered to the board-this could cause that kind of defect.  It most definitely is NOT WORKING PROPERLY, this is not from "user error", there is no way you could have caused this-unless you poured molasses in the headphone jack, or tried cleaning the jack with a drillbit and power drill. Even then I bet this Casio would still work, if it wasn't defective-don't do that though!!!!!! (I've been tempted at times my bad again)     :hitt:

I would make sure Thomann gets you a replacement. Don't let them off the hook!!! You paid for a perfect working Casio, they have an obligation as a reputable dealer to get you one. I'm sure they will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

But I would not expect that kind of plug would cause what @pmisiejuk describes, would you? Nor would I expect the plug to damage the jack.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I suspect a fault was present before unboxing and before headphones were first connected.  I don't suspect expect any of the issues were caused by the headphones.   

• Like 1

I'm going to send it back to Germany after Easter to have the replacement asap. I already got the label for the package. I'm curious what they are going to say. I'll attach the link to this topic and restore factory settings with auto-resume to off. Happily I still have all the foams and papers. I'll let you know about the process and their statements