Video Files on Forum ×

xw-p1 front panel scratched labels

andball

All I can offer, unless you know someone skilled in silk-screening new labels-is to use a label maker such as a P-touch or similar, and get label tape and make your own. I've had to do this with other equipment, and use the smallest width of label tape since so much of my equipment uses small fonts (lettering) which even label makers can't duplicate. I have this problem with a Korg M3-the print is so small, even the smallest label tape is too big to duplicate these labels, and as being right on the buttons, have worn out in several places-unfortunate cheap, not so smart design for such an expensive keyboard. There is a type of label tape that has black letters on a clear background which gives me the most "neutral" appearance. Short of duplicating the original with custom silk-screening, I know of no other way, since so many manufacturers make their labels as surface designed and can wear easily. The better designs use embedded labels-stamped or engraved into the surface which lasts longer, and are not directly printed on operating buttons or controls, like the Casio XW's.

• Like 1

There is an old method of applying decals to scale models kits, water slide decals.  These days you can make your own with inkjet printable water slide paper.  Water slide decals are very thin, so the decal substrate almost disappears once applied. To seal the ink and improve wear resistance, an aerosol clear coat is sprayed over the surface.  They make printable water slide stock in two versions, one with white background, one transparent.  You can probably get creative with those and make some fairly convincing graphics.  

• Like 2

Good idea Brad, I had forgotten about these. For large-scale designs and transfers-I would take a digital picture, transfer to computer and print it. This way, the size and shape could be edited, and with some work possibly duplicate exactly what one might need including an elaborate silk-screendesign such as on the orange graphics of the XW.

Have you tried these decal sheets Brad? I saved an older inkjet printer although I usually use a color laserjet which I don't think can do this type of decal paper since it is heat-transfer with  laser toner.

Yes I have used them to restore the Chevy bowtie and circle of lettering surrounding the bowtie on some wheel center caps made in the 90s.  The factory used silkscreen to do it.  I took a photo of an original and brought that into software, using that as a template to recreate the graphics.  I lost all of the original lettering in the cleaning restoration process.  Once the water slide is applied and clear coated, it holds up surprisingly well.