Video Files on Forum ×

Lightness in MIDI Controlling

MusicMax

I have my PX-560M plugged into my computer using it as a midi controller for different software, but I find that the system’s expressive response doesn’t come across that well so it always tends to sound muted as compared to any other midi controller I use. I tried the touch response in system settings and that didn’t do much help.

Are there and settings I should tweak or ways I could fix this that would help that wouldn’t completely take away from the expressiveness in playing?

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

Depending on the software, it may not be able to handle all of the extra MIDI data present in the high resolution velocity format sent by the PX-560.  You can try turning off high resolution velocity on the PX-560 in system settings.  

I tried this and it still seems to be having some issues. I’ve been using everything from Kontakt to random Pro Tools and Logic virtual instruments and it’s the same on all.

I think it might have something to do with the weighted keys, as I can manipulate some plugins’ velocity curves to get it to sound more natural, but then using any other controller sounds like I’ve dropped a cat on a keyboard, so I’m trying to find a way to equalize this one out. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

Are you comparing this to other weighted key controllers, or to non-weighted? and is this lack of response the same with all tones, or just the acoustic pianos which are using more data to get the various additional effects built-in, string resonance, damper control etc. There are 3 velocity/pressure sensors (tri-sensors) under each PX560  key, unlike most other controllers, weighted or non-weighted, this can make a difference-there is more data going out the midi data stream since your software must detect 3 sensors almost simultaneously. I never noticed this problem, but then I have a few weighted piano-action keys in addition to the 560, I'll check this again. The weighted keys in the 560 are definitely set up for a different response than for say my RH-II Korg action and the TP40's in the weighted Fusions, there is a slightly heavier key response in my 560. Check your velocity coming out of the PX-560 with Midiox, this will show you what your response curves are looking like, into your computer.

And another question-what are you using for your midi interface to the computer-straight USB or midi DIN? Might make a difference. But I think Brad is right, if your DAW is not designed for high-resolution midi reception, this might affect the velocity response.