Video Files on Forum ×

Potential water and debris damage

Good day,

I apologize for presenting a gross problem on my first post.  Our home had a remodel and the company didn't properly re-seat the toilet upstairs.  Raw sewage water and ceiling debris dripped down into our music studio and onto our beautiful Privia Pro PX-560.  The piano was purchased new in March 2022 and was in perfect (like new) condition.  We are waiting to ensure the piano is dried out before testing it.  A local music store said even if the piano works, there is a high probability that the ceiling debris (powder and small particles) will eventually ruin the piano.  The company responsible for the damage is cooperative so that is good.  Mistakes happen and I am not looking revenge.  I just want to know the best course of action to take regarding this piano.  I am looking for advice from those who actually have personal experience with this sort of issue.  I thank you in advance!

I'll tell a personal story that may help you decide.  I have two older keyboards which were completely submerged in muddy salt water in 2005.  They remained untouched for at least 3 weeks before I could begin to clean them, a very corrosive situation.  Once I was able to reach them, I took them apart and thoroughly rinsed everything down with fresh water from a garden hose.  I rinsed circuit boards, key sensors, keys, everything, including the speakers, and used high pressure spray in some areas.  I was at a point where there was nothing left to lose.  I waited a few weeks for them to dry out before testing.  Both of them worked, and did so for a few years, although never entirely like they were before the flood.  Eventually one of them failed to operate.  The screen would illuminate, but it was blank, no sign of life beyond that. 

My damages were extreme.  It was basically taking my keyboards to the ocean and throwing them in the water for 24 hours, drag them through some mud, fish them out, leave them in a humid sauna for a few weeks, then begin the process of cleaning them with even more water before finally drying them out.  Everything NOT to do to a keyboard.  Fun times.  

Thanks Brad!  I was told of situations where someone spilled coffee and waited to dry but the piano was never the same afterwards and failure came much sooner than the expected life.  Another player mentioned he used to eat while playing (go figure) and debris got down into the keys.  They tried to clean it out but again, the piano was never the same.  Getting past the grossness of what happened, I am mostly concerned with the ceiling (sheet rock) particles and  debris falling onto the keyboard.  Your response is most helpful.

A lot of people don't realize that printed circuit boards are often rinsed at the factory. I'm sure the water is purified, though. I used to work at a place and after the boards went through the wave solder machine they would get rinsed.

There are some components that can take it, and some can't. And, the dirty water that hit your keyboards allows the stuff in the water to get in lots of places that are bad. So I realize it's a little different, but my point is, like Brad said, you may be able to rinse your keyboards. If you can get some pure, deionized water to do it (I used to use water like that to make my own contact lens solution years ago), I think that would be the best. I'd make sure that all the contact strips and contacts were cleaned as well. And as Brad said, allow plenty of time to dry before powering it up again. Perhaps if you could isolate the rinsing to the parts that were impacted but avoid any parts that weren't, that might be a good thing to try. Unless the thing was submerged.

The electronics will likely be fine, though should be cleaned before use. The major concern would be anything absorbent like felt pads. The best thing to do would be to open the piano up and take a look (and some pictures, so we can have a look as well!)

If you see any corrosion-if it isn't too severe-try a little white vinegar applied with an old toothbrush directly onto contact points and dry thoroughly with a blow dryer-I save old toothbrushes for applications like this. I use a 2-speed blow dryer from Harbor Freight or a regular hair blow dryer will work. Sheet rock has gypsum which can be corrosive, so will definitely need to be cleaned. I've also used (sparingly) Arm and Hammer baking soda, which neutralizes any acid that might be on the IC boards, circuit traces or solder points. Joe is absolutely right-boards are washed at the factory. the only problem I foresee-if the PX560 has dual or triple layer IC boards-I don't think it does from what I've observed inside mine-any water damage might have de-laminated the layers, and this is pretty much not repairable. and Brad-wow, amazing these restored at all. but then, I've played in places that although not as bad as being submerged in the ocean, felt like it....:waaah:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

If there gets salt water (or any acidic stuff like cola or lemonade) inside, immediately remove batteries, because electricity rapidly worsens corrosion. If you clean anything with vinegar (makes only sense with alkaline battery spill), be sure to rinse off the vinegar too, which is almost as corrosive as the salt itself!

• Like 1