Video Files on Forum ×

rhythm making question

Tom banjo
Go to solution Solved by Mclandy,

long time no see guys--I know fair weather friend--I needed banjo time --anyway a question at hand--I think this rig (ctx-5000)can be easier than my drum machine for coming up with rhythms and much more fun--not to mention --the effects drum tone set------

anyway the question at hand

In the manual on page 88 is a chord conversion chart--that I don't comprehend--It would take a lot of comparing for me to figure out --what they are trying to get across

So if  hit the same C2-E2-G2  major chord left hand each time and

these settings are set what notes do they produce

bass basic

bass 7th-f root

chord basic

chord variation 2

chord variation 3

chord minor

Seeing the end result without having to dig it out of the presets may save time and a lot of temper tantrums--thanks for any help--with these laid out I might see what they are losing me on

thanks for being here

Edited by Tom banjo

Page EN-86 of the user manual defines each type of chord conversion method.  No further explanations are published.  I can only attempt to reword what is written. The pattern sequencer automatically assumes everything will be recorded in C major, so playback using C major input chord will playback what you recorded as-is. For recording other chord types, the conversion methods are offered.  

There are about 20 of these settings--I might hit many different chords majors  sevenths- dominant sevenths  --sixes  on and on--I was trying figure how these settings tie into it--It really is ''never shown''--It says the default would probably cover things --but I would rather not go with that first grade level --if I knew what the real concept--that was built into it---it says something about tension chords in one setting--and then one says it adds sevenths-- which are tension chords--one cluster seems to be for bass--another for chord playing --which at least could be tracked correctly to a 4  to 1 ratio on that guess

Capturennnj.JPG

Edited by Tom banjo

• Solution

A while back, we mapped out all the note transpositions that are done for every  possible combination of the setting of the Chord Conversion Table, and the type of chord being played.  The table is available in the forum post at the link below.  These tables are quite detailed, and don't really explain in simple language terms what the "purpose" of each CCT setting is, but they do show exactly how chord notes get transposed. 

I will provide this one piece of advice, however - for most rhythms, I use the Bass 7th (for bass parts) and Chord 7th (for chord parts) in Variations/Fills, and Intro No Change for bass/chords in Intros and Endings.   For the Variations/Fills, if you record tracks using 7th chords (C,E,G,Bb), and use a Bass/Chord 7th CCT, then the 7th note (Bb) transposes to high C when playing a straight major/minor chord, stays at Bb when playing any 7th chord, and transposes to B when playing any Maj7 chord.  So it basically sounds good and full for any chord you play while using that rhythm.  The main problem (a big one) with Chord Basic is that it transposes C notes to Bb notes when you play a 7th chord, or to B if you play a Maj7 chord, so you lose your "root" note.  And all the other CCT settings are mostly for special cases, like if you are copying from some other original music sequence that was recorded using a minor chord or a "tension" chord (9, 11, 13 chords) or a non-chordal musical phrase.  90+% of the time, you just want the Bass/Chord 7th.

So here's where to find the detailed transposition table (spreadsheet):

Edited by Mclandy