Video Files on Forum ×

Solved: How to make a multisample from an WAV sample library CD?

Go to solution Solved by Brockesound,

Hello,

maybe (probably) a silly question, but I stuck on that.

I have an sampling CD from the nineties with wav files. This wav contains the sampled waveforms for C0, C1, C2 and so on with pauses in between but all samples of each sound in one wav. I look for an tool to auto (re)sample the individual samples into multiple wav files wich I can then further process in the MZ-X sample manager. I knew hardware samplers do that but I look for an conveniant way to do that on my PC.

Of course I can slice the samples out by hand but this is not comfortable.

So, how can I make multisamples from an WAV sample library CD with PC tools only?

Thank you!

Edited by Brockesound
Solved

Not so simple even with software unless i am mistaken. Every tool I've tried that supposedly has an "auto-assign" function for mapping individual samples to create a multi-sample works poorly or not at al, unless I've missed something. And looking over the MZ-X sample manager I'm not sure the MZ-X can even load compiled multisamples, only individual wav samples, is this correct?

There a few freeware programs that can create multisamples-one is called Viena"-not "Vienna"-sounds like a silly distinction but the one is a true sample editor (Viena) and the other is much more complex and focuses on working with its own "virtual" instruments and large sample libraries that are already compiled.

The other is called Polyphone.  Both these programs will compile a group of individual wav samples into multisamples,  and these are designed to create a "soundfont" which would be your final multisample designed to be played on the computer with any program that can load a soundfont-I use "Coolsoft' which is a virtual synth that loads and plays soundfonts in Windows which now lets you play any midi file in your computer with higher quality soundfonts. I know this is getting off-topic, but both polyphone and Viena allow for the creation of multisamples from samples-whether you save these as soundfonts or not. I don't know of any simpler software that can create and assign wav samples to create a playable multisample. I wish i did, even the built-in editors in the expensive workstation keyboards are all fairly complex whether Roland, Korg etc.

As I don't think the MZ-X can load and play a complete multi-sample, none of this would do you any good, unless you are willing to use your computer as a "virtual" tone module-you could create multisamples from wavfiles, compile each as a soundfont (sf2) load into coolsoft and play live with the MZ-X connecting the MZ through midi or USB to the computer. If you are using a DAW, or any software midi file editor or player-you can load Coolsoft's virtual synth engine into your DAW or midi player/editor and use that as your synthesizer with whatever soundfont you create. The benefit to this is that soundfont can be one instrument done as very high-quality multisample, or an entire collection of orchestral or other style instruments in one soundfont file, which are easy to fine online, but vary in quality. And then, there is Kontakt......for considerably more money and complexity. I have it, hardly use it.

Unfortunately, unless someone else here can post something better, once you open the field of sample editing and compiling into multisamples, it gets way more involved than it should. i wish there was a simpler answer. I have searched for several years trying to find a simple software sample editor that can create a multisample easily-and i have not found any except fot Viena and Polyphone and these are not too simpl either. Thus my complex post.

One of the best automappers for wavsamples I found...was the sample mapper included in Casio's IDES 4.0 which I used with the Casio PX575-it was drop-dead easy to load each wavfile sample in its software editor, map it to whatever key range i wanted, and save it as an internal, playable multisample direct from the PX575. If the MZ-X can't do that, I have to wonder why. If it can, you need to use an audio editor such as Audacity or Goldwave, Ocenaudio or something similar (I think Soundforge is still around which I also have) to edit each wavsample, then you still need to compile it into a playable multisample, and that's where it gets complicated with software, or with...well anything! Chicken Systems has "Translator' which has a supposed multisample auto-mapper, but it costs, and it does not work too well. I just tried it yesterday, and it crashed my computer-again. 

If someone else has better info, post it if you can. I use the Alesis Fusion and Korg M3 for sampling and playing multisamples, and their internal editors are...well I'll leave it at that. Both can load and play (theoretically) soundfonts and can create multisamples internally, but it is definitely not for beginners, and even for advanced users, doesn't always work exactly right.

• Like 2

MZX can do it, you just need to rip the CD tracks as a WAV files and use an editor to prepare the samples, trim them, and set any loop point markers that's needed.  Wavosaur is a good editor for embedding loop points, otherwise Audacity can work if loops are not needed.  MZX sample manager can import the wave files and allow you to map them to key ranges, velocity ranges, and much more. 

• Brockesound changed the title to Solved: How to make a multisample from an WAV sample library CD?
  • Solution

Ok, its as easy as I thought but you have always to ask the question right.

The tool I am looking for is for example in Wavosaur called auto-slice or auto-split in wavelab. Other editors will have similiar tools.

They do exactly what I need.

Now looking for a conveniant way to set smooth loops 😉.... I wonder Wavosaur will help here too.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:24 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

Not so simple even with software unless i am mistaken. Every tool I've tried that supposedly has an "auto-assign" function for mapping individual samples to create a multi-sample works poorly or not at al, unless I've missed something. And looking over the MZ-X sample manager I'm not sure the MZ-X can even load compiled multisamples, only individual wav samples, is this correct?

There a few freeware programs that can create multisamples-one is called Viena"-not "Vienna"-sounds like a silly distinction but the one is a true sample editor (Viena) and the other is much more complex and focuses on working with its own "virtual" instruments and large sample libraries that are already compiled.

The other is called Polyphone.  Both these programs will compile a group of individual wav samples into multisamples,  and these are designed to create a "soundfont" which would be your final multisample designed to be played on the computer with any program that can load a soundfont-I use "Coolsoft' which is a virtual synth that loads and plays soundfonts in Windows which now lets you play any midi file in your computer with higher quality soundfonts. I know this is getting off-topic, but both polyphone and Viena allow for the creation of multisamples from samples-whether you save these as soundfonts or not. I don't know of any simpler software that can create and assign wav samples to create a playable multisample. I wish i did, even the built-in editors in the expensive workstation keyboards are all fairly complex whether Roland, Korg etc.

As I don't think the MZ-X can load and play a complete multi-sample, none of this would do you any good, unless you are willing to use your computer as a "virtual" tone module-you could create multisamples from wavfiles, compile each as a soundfont (sf2) load into coolsoft and play live with the MZ-X connecting the MZ through midi or USB to the computer. If you are using a DAW, or any software midi file editor or player-you can load Coolsoft's virtual synth engine into your DAW or midi player/editor and use that as your synthesizer with whatever soundfont you create. The benefit to this is that soundfont can be one instrument done as very high-quality multisample, or an entire collection of orchestral or other style instruments in one soundfont file, which are easy to fine online, but vary in quality. And then, there is Kontakt......for considerably more money and complexity. I have it, hardly use it.

Unfortunately, unless someone else here can post something better, once you open the field of sample editing and compiling into multisamples, it gets way more involved than it should. i wish there was a simpler answer. I have searched for several years trying to find a simple software sample editor that can create a multisample easily-and i have not found any except fot Viena and Polyphone and these are not too simpl either. Thus my complex post.

One of the best automappers for wavsamples I found...was the sample mapper included in Casio's IDES 4.0 which I used with the Casio PX575-it was drop-dead easy to load each wavfile sample in its software editor, map it to whatever key range i wanted, and save it as an internal, playable multisample direct from the PX575. If the MZ-X can't do that, I have to wonder why. If it can, you need to use an audio editor such as Audacity or Goldwave, Ocenaudio or something similar (I think Soundforge is still around which I also have) to edit each wavsample, then you still need to compile it into a playable multisample, and that's where it gets complicated with software, or with...well anything! Chicken Systems has "Translator' which has a supposed multisample auto-mapper, but it costs, and it does not work too well. I just tried it yesterday, and it crashed my computer-again. 

If someone else has better info, post it if you can. I use the Alesis Fusion and Korg M3 for sampling and playing multisamples, and their internal editors are...well I'll leave it at that. Both can load and play (theoretically) soundfonts and can create multisamples internally, but it is definitely not for beginners, and even for advanced users, doesn't always work exactly right.

For me, it was enough to have an SF2 to ZTN converter.

This would make it easier as there are tons of more practical SF2 editors on the internet.

I'm glad you bought Translator and gave your opinion, even if it wasn't very positive.

Translator, an older version, worked well with my older Ensoniq TS-12 which could read and play samples, it has caused difficulties at least for the auto-sampling function, and only with those of us using it for the Alesis Fusion. I have no experience using it with other forms of the program which are designed for specific workstations, it has several versions dedicated to a particular workstation as well as a universal translator. And yes, auto-slice or split is a different function than a true wave auto-mapper, which requires quite a bit more more programming to get right. I am not criticizing Garth, who created Translator...just trying to say that auto-mapping samples is not an easy task, and if the MZ does it, that's one-up for it. I was just looking over the old Generalmusic Genesys-with its speakers, it is scary how similar it was to the MZ-X500, in appearance and functionality-it was a hybrid arranger with a built-in sequencer, 2 tracks of internal audio recording, a vocal processor and sample importing with a translator....hmmm