Possible keyboard from the 90s/early 00s

Hi everyone,

I owned a Casio (I think) keyboard in the early 00s.

I remember the blue and green buttons similar to many Casios. I also remember a yellow demo song button that played Take a Chance on Me by Abba.

I still remember every single sound of this pianos version and would do anything to hear it again.

Is there by any chance anyone else who remembers this and can give me the model number?

I've been scouring through this list-not complete and some of it is in Chinese (surprise!) but I have found huge songlists for quite a few Casios here in English.

https://demodb.org/casio

I'm suspecting an MT or CT-many of those have blue,  green and/or yellow buttons-or possibly one of the lighted key series-the LK's. Many of those start their demo list with pop songs, almost always public domain though for every one I've found so far. Most CTK's/WK's did not have blue/green buttons. Had no luck so far.

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I've been scouring through this list-not complete and some of it is in Chinese (surprise!) but I have found huge songlists for quite a few Casios here in English.

https://demodb.org/casio

I'm suspecting an MT or CT-many of those have blue,  green and/or yellow buttons-or possibly one of the lighted key series-the LK's. Many of those start their demo list with pop songs, almost always public domain though for every one I've found so far. Most CTK's/WK's did not have blue/green buttons. Had no luck so far.

Hey, greetings from the editor of DemoDB 😄

I'm pretty sure that so far in our demo songs collection of CASIO keyboards, there's no ABBA's Take a Chance on Me. As far as I know, CASIO almost didn't use any of ABBA's songs in their demos.

"Blue and green buttons" seem to point at a CASIO keyboard made during the 90s-00s, and there is a song that is similar to Take a Chance on Me at the very first, "Wake me up before you go go" by Wham! at https://demodb.org/casio/sa/sa-20 .

According to @amandavr 's memory, SA-20 might be the model, you can find blue and green buttons on the keyboard, and the demo button is in yellow.

Thanks for coming aboard dgy, this is an impressive work, and looks fairly unique in terms of content. 

After spending a couple of hours looking through your (very interesting) database I have to reach the same conclusion. Amanda, are you sure this was a Casio? I also looked over many of the Yamahas, and these seemed to have fuller collections of pop or more modern songs, less focus on the public domain arrangements. and many of the PSR's also have colored buttons you are describing. I did not spend too much time on the Yamahas, but the odds of finding an Abba song there I am thinking, might be better.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 5:36 PM, amandavr said:

Hi everyone,

I owned a Casio (I think) keyboard in the early 00s.

I remember the blue and green buttons similar to many Casios. I also remember a yellow demo song button that played Take a Chance on Me by Abba.

I still remember every single sound of this pianos version and would do anything to hear it again.

Is there by any chance anyone else who remembers this and can give me the model number?

There have been some Casios with demo tunes from famous artists, including Rick Astley, Paula Abdul, Wham! and possibly Michael Jackson. But I don't recall any having Take A Chance On Me, or any ABBA song.

Can you give us a more detailed description of the keyboard that you can remember? Colour? Tiny, Mini or full sized keys? Any other unique feature i.e. drum pads, accompaniment section, what did the display look like etc.?

I found a play list on YouTube showing many of the demos available on Casio models. Do any of the models look like the one you remember?

Edited by Chas

• 4 weeks later...

Casio instruments those contained copyrighted demo songs usually had a JASRAC (Japanese music copyright organization) sticker at the case bottom. But I am not aware that Casio used Abba songs.

The only thing with "Take a Chance On Me" by Abba is the Chinese tablehooter the "Superb Sound EK-905" (49 midsize keys, simple 2-op FM sound) made in 1995 and the 1996 case variant EK-470 (I own both versions | also released as MusicTime Keyboard 310) The sounds were quite primitive and many ridiculously off and did not resemble at all what their name suggests.