Video Files on Forum ×

playing midi files

Dshoff

Hi, I have over 100 midi files and I would like to play them off of my thumb drive but I would like to have a separate volume control for the midi.  I just downloaded the 1.1 update and I thought that volume control was added with this update, but I can't find out how to do it.  Any help??

Thanks,

David Shoff

Volume usually is set for the used MIDI channels at the beginning of the file. So you can not predict it. But you can adjust some sliders or knobs to the expression controller of 4 midi channels. Usually you find on channel 10 the Drums.

Your stage setting is also influenced by the midi file. You are able to select a stage setting before you start the playback. But the volume for the zones will be overwritten by the volume infos which are usually included in the first bar of the midi file. In most cases it will also change your sound. 

So you will be able to play the Sound which is used by channel 1 of the MIDI file in the keyrange you have set in you stage setting.
The 4 zones are fix coupled to channel 1 - 4 of the the MIDI file. If you use a stage settings with 4 Zones you will be able to control and play 4 channels. You can change the MIDI channel for the SENDING out Data, but this parameter has no influence what the MIDI files does to your stagesetting. But during playing Zone 1 you are able to set the absolute volume with CC 7 or the relative volume with the expression value (CC 11) . I have not tested that, but it might be possible to set a "Start-expression value" to Zone 1-4 when calling the Stagesetup. On "Start" the MIDI file will send "Volume" value for channel 1. This is the maximum level. Now you have 127 steps to lower it by the expression level. You will be able to change the relative volume by moving the slider for expression.
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-difference-between-midi-volume-expression/
For testing program on the editor "Parameter edit", "Stage Setting", "Common" the  the maximum level for the first slider (which is to be set to CC11)  to 64. This should change the volume of the midi track on the channel 1 to the half value. Please report on this, if this slider which is used for expression and maximum = 64 will influence the volume before you have touched it. I guess the value will be "send" after moving the slider.
The problem is still how to change the volume for the other channels. This is possible via the "Mixer" which is a bit hidden in "Parameter Edit" and Tab "Mixer". You find it also on the keyboard, but very hidden. Look into the manual if you really want to use this, but I don't recomend this.

well crap.  I also have the midi files converted into mp3s, but I can't play them, can i?  If not, then i may try to convert them into Wav files.  Would I be able to control the volume on that separately from the keyboard volume?  Thanks for any help. 

well crap.  I also have the midi files converted into mp3s, but I can't play them, can i?  If not, then i may try to convert them into Wav files.  Would I be able to control the volume on that separately from the keyboard volume?  Thanks for any help. 

Yes.. converting them to WAV files will work. You need to make sure they are saved in 16 bit /44.1 KHZ format and named TAKE00, TAKE01, TAKE02, etc.

Make sure you adjust the volume on all the parts before you convert. Then you put them on a USB and play from the PX-5S. You can adjust the volume of the WAV file using the AUDIO VOLUME control. This is my preferred way for playing backing tracks.. you can change Stage Settings while the song is playing..  

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, and I finally got the wav files to come up by pressing the audio button a couple of times.  I have one more dumb question.  Where is the AUDIO VOLUME control, its different from the main volume knob right? I just need separate volume control for my piano playing and the wav file.  Thanks for your patience in helping a new guy to this keyboard!

dshoff 

Brad and Scott, Bingo!!  Thanks so much!  I had a hard time bringing up the wav files instead of the midi files and found if I hold the audio button longer or press it twice i get to the wav files.  Also, going in to the common edit and scrolling to audio volume gave me control of my wave files on a slider.  Awesome, thanks guys!  

David

Ya know, if ya went to all the trouble of converting each file to MP3 and then to WAV a much simpler procedure would have been to load up the MIDI files in a computer DAW like Anvil Studio (Free as in beer) or Reaper or Cakewalk or whatever you prefer and then adjust the individual MIDI volume levels for each track to a level of your liking and then save the MIDI files and voila you're done.

As a bonus you'd be able to switch voices for each track as well.

Gary

Gary, I currently use cakewalk and play the files with a computer on the gig.  I used to take a sound module and then I just converted all my files to mp3 and still used my computer to play them.  There was no way I was going to go in to my 100 midi files and mess with the volume on each file.  The best answer for me, I think, was to switch the mp3s to wav (which was incredibly easy with a free program from the internet) and change the volume if I need to with a slider.  

dshoff

OK, if it works for ya great, but here's a link to a MIDI batch editor/processor program that might be able to do the operation to all of your MIDI files in one simple operation.  This was like the third hit on a Google search.  There must be others.

http://www.gnmidi.com/

I'm just saying that once you convert MIDI to MP3 or WAV you lose a lot of control options.

Gary

EDIT:  Here's another one called MIDI Normalizer

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Editors-Recorders/MIDI-Normalizer.shtml

• 1 month later...