Video Files on Forum ×

Recommend some headphone for the PX-5S

dc2k

I'm want to use the PX-5s I'm getting with headphones, does anyone have advice? 

I wanted to spend under €50 but from reading around, you need to spend between €100 and €200 for a decent pair and then the next tier is €500+, then €1000+

So I'm looking at either:

• Audio Technica ATH-M50
  • Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro/80 Ohms

Here's a list of them in the price range from where I'll be buying from: 

http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_GF_studio_headphones.html?pr=139a180

Not sure if these are suitable for the 5x-ps. They're both around €150

These will be the only way I will be hearing the 5x-ps for now. I don't own any other equipment like monitors, amps or anything (apart from maybe my pc speakers). This is my first keyboard like this. I'm more used to playing a crappy acoustic piano which I am extremely tired of and the px-5s looks like loads of fun with all its synth capabilities which I'm looking forward to experimenting with (love that Bladerunner setting Mike posted). What I'm saying is I don't know all the jargon and I don't own other audio eqipment :D. Can I just plug these in and I'm good to go? The keyboard is shipping after the 10th so I want to have everything ready to stary playing.

I'm hoping to be able to record stuff to the PC and layer it but will probably be asking about that in a later post. 

Cheers.

Unless you absolutely have to practice in silence (thin apartment walls :blink: ) I'd say you're better off getting a budget pair of studio monitors like these from the same site.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_media_one_5a.htm

The ad says it comes with a cable but it may be RCA input so you may also need a couple of these adapters and you'd be good to go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Socket-Large-6-35mm-Adapter/dp/B003OSO222

Yeah I took a closer look.  It has RCA inputs and I think the speaker cable it ships with is only for cross connecting the left speaker to the right one so you'd also need one of these cables as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Stereo-White-Audio-Cable/dp/B005JKXV66

With those three items you'd be good to go and you'd still be under budget.

Gary ;)

Thanks Brad, actually own those Sony 150s myself but I use them on my PC and wouldn't mind a better pair anyway. The technicas do get good reviews everywhere but a lot of people on headphone sites are also saying the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro/80 Ohms are a smidge better.

Thanks for a link to the studio monitors Gary but yeah, I do need to keep the noise down — another reason I'm getting a keyboard. I play at night a lot and there are bedrooms all around me. Would like to get some monitors too but the priority is a good pair of headphones.

cheers, hadn't' seen those. Looking around I'm seeing some people saying that while the 8400's do have very nice memory foam ear cushions, they both have a  lean and overdamped bass response. Decent for that price range apparently though. Only other ones I saw were some Sennheiser HD-25s but people are still recommending the ATH-M50  and the  Beyerdynamic DT-770 over them.

I guess I was just whether I had to be worried about anything specific with the px-5s as I see people talking about mids and bass and amps and DACs. I guess either of those I saw will do though.

So apon futher review, I'm going to get either of the headphones above. Both are the same price. Only difference is one is 250ohms and one is 80ohms. I've read that the 250ohm version is geared towards interfacing with professional studio equipment and requires a mains powered amplifer while the 80ohm version can be used with mp3 players and other battery powered devices. The volume will be louder on the 80ohm one but they are susceptible to background hum or hiss as they aren't being driven by an amp. Both headphones are flat so you hear the true sounds but the 250 ohms just offer that bit more clarity.

So seeing as I am a complete novice with the technology of keyboards like the PX-5S and will be prone to asking stupid questions, can anyone tell me if it has an amp on board? Do I get the 250ohm ones or the 80ohm ones? (bearing in mind that I would like to hear the best sound fidelity and do plan to record tracks with the px-5s).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've owned Sonys, Grado, and AT phones. I bought a pair of Etymotic HD5 in-ear monitors (95$ at Amazon) for the music app on my Galaxy S3 phone. They use different technology from consumer earbuds. These puppies are more accurate than my Grados! The phone outs on PX-5S have WAY more than enough power to drive them; you'll fry your ears before they distort. I use the cone-shaped tips (they come with several different tips). They seal so well I can mow the lawn and listen to music at half-volume. Just make sure they're seated firmly; otherwise, Bass response disappears. Warning: These are FLAT response devices, and sound thin to some people. Everybody's taste is different.

I'm not sure why happyrat1 says buy cheap monitors instead... Even some low-priced phones sound better than cheap monitors.