Video Files on Forum ×

How do I set a crossfade using a slider?

Blood-Pudding

That's done using the dual target feature of the controllers.  

For example: Using a slider... Set both targets of the slider to cc 07 volume.

The min/max values of each need to be opposite of one another.  Target 1: Min 0  Max 127   Target 2: Min 127  Max 0 

Then just enable that slider controller for the 2 zones you want to crossfade. 

This teaches me not to answer a question strictly from memory.  Doh...  Too much going on in my world for my brain to work right.  I totally forgot about the layer volume targets.  I just did this in on one of my stage settings a few weeks ago.  Amazing how quickly I forget.  Thanks for having my back Mike! 

Now I'm really confused.  If I have zone 1 strings and zone 2 flute, it is not possible, with one slider (or knob, etc.) to crossfade them?  That would be a real shame as my Roland XP-10 could do that very easily (had a crossfade slider).  What happens with Brad's example?  (I can't get to my keyboard to experiment at the moment.)   Now, if I have to do it within hex layers, then I can crossfade only 2 of the 6 layers with one slider, correct?

With a little practice you can smoothly raise and lower the sliders simultaneously.  

Actually, that did lead to a thought:  Can I set sliders 1 & 2 for zones 1 & 2 respectively (regardless of tone) but opposite each other so when I push both up, zone 1 gets louder while zone 2 decreases by the same amount & vice versa when lowering the sliders?

Actually, that did lead to a thought:  Can I set sliders 1 & 2 for zones 1 & 2 respectively (regardless of tone) but opposite each other so when I push both up, zone 1 gets louder while zone 2 decreases by the same amount & vice versa when lowering the sliders?

Good one! I have found the PX-5S can do just about anything.... Getting to do what you want sometime requires a little flexibility and some creativeness but it's all there.  :)

We would need one of two things to do zone crossfades on one slider.  Give us zone 1 thru 4 volume as a target choice or give us the choice of enabling only one target of a controller in a zone.  I would prefer the latter because it would open up a ton of other tricks.  As it is they only gave us general volume as a target.   If both targets of a single slider are set to volume in an opposing way then both zones would respond to both targets and chaos would ensue.  Ok, I'm not sure what would happen but it wouldn't be a crossfade I'm pretty sure.  Two sliders would work because you can assign each slider to one zone and not the other.  BTW great idea about that.

• Like 1

Ahhh, my lovely, little, kinda cheesey Roland XP-10.  :wub:   We're in the hear-and-now and it doesn't cut the mustard except on crossfades.  Anyway, I was thinking of making a crude cap of sorts to put over two sliders just so they move together.  I can see in the heat of battle screwing up moving them both if they are not connected, especially for those of us who admit to being klutzes.

• 4 months later...

I agree with BradMZ:

...Give us zone 1 thru 4 volume as a target choice or give us the choice of enabling only one target of a controller in a zone.  I would prefer the latter because it would open up a ton of other tricks...

The option to activate any layer to each target would permit crossfading with a single slider.

Advantage:

• EFFICIENCY & ECONOMY:  Only one slider should be necessary to crossfade, leaving the remaining sliders for other features/controls.  It seems foolish to have to waste two sliders for a function that the hardware and firmware can almost support.

• REQUESTED SOLUTION:  Please have the Casio Firmware Developers provide the option for StageSettings\ZoneEdit\ControllerEdit to have four (rather than two) choices:
    • Off
    • T1 (On-T1)
    • T2 (On-T2) 
    • On (On-All) (T1 & T2)
  • Like 2