Video Files on Forum ×

Program Changes in Native Instruments

David Loving

I like using Native Instruments' Kontakt 5.  I use either a digital piano or a controller to play NI keyboard sounds as a standalone in live performance.  Native Instruments lets one assemble a "multi", a group of sounds: Tonewheel B3, a piano, Wurli, Rhodes, Clav, etc.   I use a Korg Nano to send commands for drawbars, percussion, Leslie, etc for NI's B3.   Most of the Korg's duties involve the B3 program. and a knob sends volume commands for all the instruments in the multi.   I can program a knob on the KorgNano through the NI scripts to change from instrument to instrument in the NI Multi; a program change.    I'll have usb cables from the keyboard (PX330, or Alesis Q88) to the laptop, from the KorgNano controller to the laptop, from the laptop to a Presonus audio interface.  I use a Belkin device to plug in 3 usb into two slots on the MacBook Pro laptop.   The Alesis Q88 will send program changes to the NI Multi  - changing instruments as needed.   The PX330 will not send program changes, so I use the Korg, velcroed to the PX330.   I'd like to buy a PX5s mainly for the improved sounds and action.  I'd also like to be able to send program changes like the Korg Nano does.  Will the PX5s  do this?

There's one itty bitty caveat I've run into doing this kind of thing.

Some Stage Settings don't have MIDI CCs set to some of the controls, usually the knobs. If you start with one of those, you'll have to map the CCs to the knobs. If you follow Scott's advice about creating a blank Stage Setting and use that, you should be fine.

I tend to start with an existing Stage Setting so I've gotten caught by this a few times.

• Like 1