Video Files on Forum ×

are the samples compressed ?

User 29303

i wonder if the samples of the PX5S are compressed , 128MB of space is not so much but the Px5S

Sound are damn good...so is this the A.I.R and the Effect Section the Raw Samples can´t held a piano

like this,,,

of course you could say who cares ..but if i pay 1000 Euro i like to know bit more about my Stage Piano ...all the other brands informs about rom / ram size and more..

Very true, I bought over 15 keyboards since the last 20 years, and rarely was these informations

missing.

Honestly I don't know why Casio would keep those specifications secret ??????

It's a great keyboard and the responses from users and potentiels users are great so what the .........

Padking

I thought compressed samples were the industry standard these days, in order to save memory expense.  That is why Roland and Yamaha always follow up their sample ROM size statements with the disclaimer in parentheses "in equivalent linear format" or something to that effect - meaning "expanded".

Mike mentioned on the Facebook group that he would be away for a couple of weeks, so maybe he is taking a well-earned holiday. I'm sure that he doesn't ignore any questions, but there are so many that I don't know how he could possibly have enough time to read them all!

• Like 1

The PX5S has the AiR sound source which uses Casio's Lossless Audio Compression technology, whereby the samples are compressed, however when played are then un-compressed with no reduction in sound quality.

So what you hear is identical to the original sample, as if it was never compressed in the first place.

• Like 1

This explains a lot so the real size can be bigger and thats why the rest of the Hardware is so gold selected...bit why no imformations about used waves & RAM Rom amazing hit with a own A.I.R chip design. I habe tried to outfilter some samples from the raw .bin impossible there is a high compression in it

from the technical sheet the EEPROM / SAMPLE ROM goes into the DSP so i think only the needed Samples ( Waves ) are decompressed at realtime

maybe 2:1 or maybe CASIO has figured out a better Ratio.....maybe casio will inform us....

for me it is very intetresting to compare a little bit the different Brands and how the try to produce the best Stage Piano...

This is a very talked about issue and complaint against digital piano manufacturers, not just Casio, but all of them. With memory as cheap as it is today, it's hard to explain why the companies don't insert bigger memory chips into their products. Even a few gigabytes memory module wouldn't add much to the manufacturing cost, but would open up so much possibilities to improve the sounds.

Hopefully the manufacturers will step into the 21st century, what this regards, or as some have said, the 20th century, but if they don't don't, they'll lose customers. People will simply turn to software based pianos and other instruments, coupled with basic not too expensive MIDI controllers.

OK i have just surfed a bit into the WWW casio has a lot of Patents about compression ....the mostly interessting point is they use an alternative algorithm ....like the one

that is used by Wordprocessor compression, this means there are 2 compression medthods working hand in hand the first one is preparing the wave and compressing it and the second one is only working if needed....maybe i am wrong also the decompression goes very fast and the needed samples are loaded and decompressed by the DSP and inside the DSP ...maybe alsp by a multiplexer i am not shure about this.....i think or the compression is higher then 2:1 or they have very good audio qualitiy samples and the whole system is very high graded...there are several nice new patents on   www.freshpatents.com where you can read and find more about Casios

stuff.....for example a cool new system for a Piano Case with LID ..

anyway also you find a lot of info about loosless compression in google searching for patents from the manufactures......

just an example ...http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20131121ptan20130305899.php