Video Files on Forum ×

Px5 newbie questions

leeskeys

OK, the PX5 is in my living room, been reading through the manual, playing with Tones and Stage Settings. It's a very different board from my Px3, so prior experience doesn't count for much in this case.

I have a couple of very basic questions. First, I understand the logic of Tones and Stage Settings. However, I'm finding switching between Stage settings awkward.  The manual says that  to select a bank, press the bank button. When it lights up, hold the bank button while pressing the number for the bank you want to access. So far so good. This is where it gets awkward. It seems that the only way to navigate within a bank is to again press bank, then press the number of the bank item followed by the bank number. For example, if I'm in the Piano bank, the default Set-up is 0-0. If I want to go to 2-0, I have to press the bank button again then press "2", then "0". Is that right? Seems very awkward and not quick access at all. There must be a better way to do it.

Another question- any time I want to save a new stage setting, I have to replace an existing stage setting slot. Is that right? In other words, there aren't any blank slot available, which don't already have a stage setting stored in them.

Thanks ahead of time for helping me sort through basic operations stuff!

Lee

Once you're in a bank, you should only have to press 1 button to go to another sound in that bank. So if you're on SS 1-1 and you want to go to 1-2, just press "2". The sequence you listed is correct if you're switching to settings in different banks though. If you want to use different settings consecutively, like within the same song, it would be a good idea to move them into the same bank

KG is correct.  You only need to light up the bank button when changing banks.  Changing within the same bank is just one button press.  

Also, the manual is misleading.   You don't have to "hold" the bank while pressing the number button.  

Second question.  All 100 of the user slots are full.  You'll have to overwrite something but don't worry, all of the originals are here on the forums for download and also are stored in the firmware on the board where the Initialize All function can restore them.

Sorry to be thick headed. Perhaps I don't understand Stage Settings after all. I light up the "bank" button, then double-press "Zero" to get 0-0, which is the first stage setting in bank 1 for acoustic pianos (Concert Grand). The "bank" light goes out. Now, if I want to go to the next setting in the acoustic piano bank, which is 1-0 (Ballad Piano Layer), I'm supposed to press the number "1" ? However, if I do that, the setting changes to "0-1", which is the first setting in the EP bank, not the second setting in the acoustic piano bank. So what am I doing wrong here? 

I hope my posting doesn't sound as confused as I am!

You're misunderstanding the term "bank" as Casio uses it.   A bank is the first number in a stage setting and not the type of tones your selecting.    

For example  these are all bank 0 

0-1

0-2

0-3

0-4

You can download the alternate order stage settings which Mike made.   That places piano's in bank 0 and ep's in bank 2 and so on....the way you are thinking they should be.  It moves 1-0 to 0-1 and 2-0 to 0-2 and on and on.....got it.   :D

• Like 2