Video Files on Forum ×

acoustic pioanos sounds

stuarth25

Hey Brad. I really liked the old upright stage setting you did.

I started taking it apart do see how you made it.

I took off the distortion and was playing around with it.

I changed the filter to the LPF3 and took it down to ~47 on both layers.

I removed the fine tuning too.

I really liked that piano sound. It's my favourite normal piano to play.

It's kinda mellow so I might upload it if OP wants to try it.

On zone 2, I put a sort of haunted wind sound made from white and pink noise in tune with the piano.

Anyway, I always wanted to ask you:

Why was the purpose in the pitch envelope of putting all the levels to -24, only to course tune it back up to 3?

Anyway, I always wanted to ask you:

Why was the purpose in the pitch envelope of putting all the levels to -24, only to course tune it back up to 3?

It's called split shifting.  It alters the timbre of the samples.  It's like holding the bender wheel down then transposing the keyboard back up in order the remain in tune.  In this case, the pitch envelope is holding the pitch down for you.  Hex tones have a split shift function and I used it too.  The combination of both methods gave me the sound I liked best. 

Thanks to Scott and BradMZ for replying to me and I can finally, accurately describe the real problem I have. I can only hear the difference on acoustic pianos and the problem occurs at E4 on the PX-5S. From their downwards, a brighter sound is heard. If I select  Piano mono1, it plays fine on high notes and all the way down to F4, then it plays the mono2 tone from E4 downwards. Same applies with piano sounds (i,e  GrPno Studio with GrPno Modern).

A an experiment, I created a stage setting using GM1 piano in zone 1 (C- to E4) and GM2 piano in zone 2 (F4 to G9).

The result was that it played as a GM2 piano for the full range.

Have I messed some settings at some time. or have I got a faulty PX-5S

Hi Scott, it seems I will be having this repaired or replaced under warranty as I have it only had it 5 months. It seems strange that the change point is bang in the middle 44 keys left and 44 right. I would imagine there will be a technical electronic split there. I don't think it's worth making a recording, as you can emulate the fault most accurately, by playing GM1 in top 44keys and GM2 in lower 44 keys.

Thank you Scott and BradMZ  for your patience to an old codger

It's called split shifting.  It alters the timbre of the samples.  It's like holding the bender wheel down then transposing the keyboard back up in order the remain in tune.  In this case, the pitch envelope is holding the pitch down for you.  Hex tones have a split shift function and I used it too.  The combination of both methods gave me the sound I liked best. 

So you get the timbre of the notes 3 semitones down without the note actually changing. I'll have to play around with that to see if I can hear the difference.

But that actually leads to my next question. :lol:

There is a split shift function too. I tried googling that and I got absolutely nothing. You have that set to -2.

Does that also adjust the timbre of the notes too without actually changing the pitch of the notes?

Where do you learn this stuff?