Video Files on Forum ×

sporadic keyboard power shut downs during performance (px-5s)

dnite

Several times each performance the power goes out on my px-5s. I just have to turn it on again but it can be a major thorn in the performance. I believe the end of the adapter that goes into the keyboard is just slightly loose so that when I'm playing a jiggle can cause the keyboard to turn off even without the plug coming out. Taping it on doesn't seem to help either. I can't find anyone else with this problem? I'm going to buy a new adapter (not that it would be a guaranteed cure) but I can't find it anywhere in stores (Canada). Any ideas?  Thanks, Doug.

If the warranty is done(like mine) you might want to remove the top and  then bend the ground tang tighter against the the ground sleeve that gets inserted....(if you suspect that there is nothing wrong with the ground supply). I have to admit that when fully inserted, my power supply end connector feels like there is some movement inside the case. I am out west (vancouver area) but I bought mine from Axe music is Edmonton.

This is a common problem with these barrel type connectors.

Is this the factory supply? I have a non-factory power supply for a Yamaha RM1x that although it looks exactly the same size, does the same thing as your PX5s while other supplies are fine including the Yamaha factory supply. I've also had to re-solder the connectors connecting the adapter socket mounted internally to the circuit board on several devices. These can have a hairline fracture almost invisible unless inspected with magnification, good light and flexing the internal power connector to reveal it. Even a tiny hairline solder fracture can cause these intermittent problems. and some barrel plugs, if not the exact fit for both negative and positive connections, will cause intermittent power such as this. This is why for pro work, I really wish manufacturers would stick with the sturdier computer type 3-connector AC plugs as are used in most of the older equipment. Costs more, so not done especially with "consumer" keyboards. And these required internal power supplies, again more expensive, prone to overheating and difficult to repair. So wall warts have advantages, but the connections are not one of them.

Thanks for the responses. I got my px-5s at Axe also in March 2014 (I'm in Burnaby), so I assume warranty is done although it didn't even occur to me. It is original power supply.   It happens almost exclusively at gigs when keyboard is moving more.  

I hate to resort to batteries as - like most musicians - I hardly make enough to pay for gear and costs as it is (although it is a nice option to have).  

Arpaul.  I started removing screws to try and look inside but gave up after a few dozen.   Do you know what screws you remove to take off the cover? I searched web but couldn't find any instructions. Do you play with any bands? I'm in DoubleOvertime. 

Brad, how much would you charge for quick programming? My band is doing Domino (Jesse version)  and I could use a 4 way split with the 2 beat pitch rise levelling off, the brassy-synth sound, the arpeggiator, and voicy-string sound. Except for the pitch rise I think it can be presets (top of my head I'm using va-1 for the brassy). Both my laptops went on me so I'm left with a chromebook that I can't program with. I'm not looking for perfection, just something quick & dirty.   

Thanks, Doug.

Doug -

1) Sorry I haven't actually had mine apart - sorry if that was a bum steer

2) Absolutely put batteries in (my last guitar player was nicknamed "bigfoot".... power interruptions were expected)

3)you can borrow my power supply ( or even board if you really get screwed) if you want to eliminate the possibilities (S.Surrey)

4) Last casual gigging band was "Paul's Motel". Shut it down two years ago. Just hobbying and writing.

That's great if you can. There's a reason you couldn't find the 2 beat pitch rise, it's from Locked out of Heaven. It's a descending ocean wave sound in Domino (can't trust my memory). It occurs at :50, 1:02, 2:11 etc... I was right about the other sounds though. I'm using the youtube karoake version 

I tried some light filing of the cylinder end that goes into the keyboard. It seems to be harder to pull out now but don't think that was it. I'm guessing it's a solder fracture like jokeyman123 mentioned or something inside that's doing it. Someone must have tried taking one of these things apart. 

Thanks for the generous offer Arpaul. I'm going to try putting in batteries and the adapter and seeing if the batteries just take over if the adapter stops. Wondering if you're into the possibility of subbing for me if I can't make a gig? I'm guessing you read music if you're writing. My charts are 2/3 lead sheet. 1/3 notes.