Video Files on Forum ×

Your First Casio Keyboard Was / Is ?

Scottym

Ok, ok...SK-5. But it was not my first keyboard, just my first Casio. And I didn't buy it. I actually found it by chance among my wife's stuff from her apartment when we got married and bought a house. She had bought it for her young son back when it was new. He apparently didn't take to things musical (more into sports and all). It stayed in its box in storage until I discovered it a few years ago. Popped in some batteries and it's like its new. Needless to say its mine now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Well well, this is a fun thread! My first ever Casio was the Casio PT1 cream color with light purple sharps and flats, and it was $51USD back in 1986 when my mom bought it. Now my second Casio was not mine but was borrowed and I did record my playing with it onto cassette so it counts, MT11. Then I borrowed from school mates the:MT45, then his MT205, then his HT700! That kid was RICH!!! I recorded songs using all of those keyboards. Life as a teen in Puerto Rico in the mid 80s was hard for a working family. I could not afford my own Casio.. yet.. In 1987 that changed! My dad bought me a Casio MT52, I bought a MT46 and MT36. My mom then bought me a SK1 for my birthday in Summer of 87 for $85. In 1988, things changed and I had a JOB, so I was able to buy the PT100, and MT240 which I enjoyed to no end! In 1989 before my dad being stationed back on the mainland USA, I received a burnt Casio CT310 that I had to saw off the fronts of the white keys cause they were burnt, and just before I left PR, My mom bought a MT520! OF all those keyboards, only the MT46,MT240, and MT520 made to the USA mainland with me. In the USA in 91, I got ahold of a PT50(my first ever LCD keyboard), a MT210, and MT205. In 92, I got ahold of the PT80,PT82, PT10, and another MT240,CT370 and another MT520, and with my first ever real job in the USA, a HT700!! That concluded my first Casio keyboards of my childhood and teenagehood. As an Adult and having the ability to WORK, and side hustle, I could buy pretty much anything I wonted, so I will not list those but lets just say my collection of Casio keyboards was extensive and still is today as an old man!

When I was in Nursery Standard at the age of I think 3 or 4 yrs, I remembered that my father gave me Casio SA10, SA20...

When I was learned to play play keys a bit then my father was provided me Casio CZ-101 and VZ-1... 

When I knew all the chords and catch the music and play it on the keyboards mid-perfactly, I got CTK-7200, XW-G1 and MZ-2000...

I was 12 years old at this time and got XW-P1 and PX-5S

Now at the age of 17 I've 

1. SA-10

2. SA-20

3. SK-10

4. VZ-8M

5. WK-7600

6. CTK-7200

7. CT-X5000

8. CT-X3000

9. MZ-X300

10. MZ-X500

11. MZ-2000

12. CZ-101

13. VZ-1

14. XW-G1

15. XW-P1

16. PX-5S...

And more...!

However, I also having many of other brands keyboard which are not included in the list. 🙂

Edited by Akshansh
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Mexican Radio-what was that, I can't quite spot it. Might be a mini Yamaha or Casio. Great hooks in that song, one of my favorites. My first Casio-a CZ-101, then 3000 and CZ-1. Then SK-2100 sampler, various early CTK's in the 80's for my music ed classes.

It's the Casiotone M10 - I covered this making an appearance in the Wall of Voodoo "Mexican Radio" promo video as one of the "M10 Fun Facts" segments in my M10 video. You can see it here (starts at 13.10):

• Like 3

One year for Christmas we went shopping with my parents and my three brothers on December the 24th - last minute shopping. My mother used to take singing lessons and she wanted something very portable to gave her the pitch, so on that day she decided to buy a Casio VL-1.

I must have been 15 or 16 back then. I looked around in the shop, fairly bored, and saw the Casio VL-10, the little brother, so to say. I felt instantly in love with it and it became my Christmas present that year. It was so tiny, looked so sleek and so high-tech (even by today’s standards it would still look fairly sophisticated). I am pretty sure it must have been the tiniest electronic keyboard ever made, and still is to this day. Unfortunately someone stole it in my student room 😢.

Later during College, once again for Christmas, I got a SK-1. I loved the fact that it could play fully-fledged chords but hated the fact that it had no memory once the power was off. So I went back to the shop and traded it for the SK-5. It was not a wise move because although the SK-5 had some memory, it didn’t have all functionalities of the SK-1.

Then in 2018 I got a CT-X3000 that I should have kept, but I found the UI impractical, so I traded it for the CT-X800.

Now I am heavily hesitating between the CT-S400 (which has become ridiculously cheap), the CT-S1000V or else the Yamaha PSR E473 (some years back I had its older brother, the very nice PSR E433, which I immensely liked and regretted getting rid of - twice!), which seems to be a very fine keyboard, too.

Oh yes, I forgot, from 1996 to 1999 I lived for three years in Vienna and for a couple of Shillings (the Euro didn’t existed yet) I bought a Casio synth on Vienna’s flea market. Now, at the end of last century, one could buy practically ANYTHING on Vienna’s flea market.

I don’t remember which synth it was, though, which is a shame. I was looking for a piano really, but couldn’t afford one by then. I bought it back with me when we moved back to Brussels. When we moved to France in 2004 I sold it because we hat too many things. Now I regret having sold it. I’d like to find out which model it was. I don’t think it was a CZ. Maybe if I saw a couple of photos I would now. The sound was pretty coarse. It didn’t had any speakers, which I disliked very much because I had only cheap headphones and no PA system by then.

Vinciane

Edited by vbdx66
Not finished

2 hours ago, vbdx66 said:

I’d like to find out which model it was. I don’t think it was a CZ. Maybe if I saw a couple of photos I would now. The sound was pretty coarse. It didn’t had any speakers, which I disliked very much because I had only cheap headphones and no PA system by then.

Vinciane

The only NON CZ SYNTH keyboard with NO speakers that Casio made in the mid 80s that I reckon you found in the fleamarket would possibly be the HZ600. It is the HT3000/HT700 without the speakers or rhythm section and yes, the sound is bright and course as you say. SD sound source(Spectrum Dynamics). It was a 61 note thing so yes it would take up space. Had you bought the HT700(the little midsized version with speakers and rhythms), you would have been more apt to keep it.

hz-600.jpg

@pianokeyjoe Brilliant! Thanks, yes, I think this is it! You could find a job as a private detective 🕵️ if you wished 😁

Actually I could have kept it and stored it at my parents home in Belgium. In fact we wanted to get rid of most of the things that were in our appartement before moving to France. I could have kept the synth and have brought it with me to France during a later visit to my parents. But at the time I wasn’t too interested in synths - I had also a Yamaha stage piano, we decided to sell the synth and keep the piano.

Today I would probably keep both…

• Love 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...