Video Files on Forum ×

PX160 muffled/disappointing sound quality from headphone

Qpeity

I just recently bought px160 After reading almost every reviews online and watching all the demo videos on YouTube. It sounded amazing. Since I was going to okay the piano almost 100 percent of time with a good headphone, I thought it was not necessary to buy higher models that have better speaker system (believed that they all carry the same piano sound if heard using a headphone). Therefore, instead of investing money on piano, I spent them on the headphone Sennheiser HD598 with impedance of 50 ohm which (I believe) is enough to sound great on most portable devices. However, compared to Sony MDR-XB500 (which has heavy bass focus, so I do not like the sound from it), the sound quality I am getting from HD598 is muffled and very disappointing. Could someone figure out this kind of issue? Also, any advice to improve the sound quality of px160 heard from a headphone is greatly appreciated! I spent more than 200 dollars on the headphone thinking that it will make the px160 sound like a real piano...... The headphone works great on any other device. It is just with px160 that I am disappointed at....

I had a similar experience with my PX350.  What I found was that not all headphones will sound the same with the CASIO.  I tested some really cheap earbuds, Apple wired earbuds, low-cost headphones, a Harman Kardon CL (https://goo.gl/2AcSy6),  a Bose QuietComfort 25 (https://goo.gl/GcVGDM) and a Sennheiser HD 219 S (https://goo.gl/jXN7Ev).  What surprised me was that the Bose sounded really bad and something similar happened with the cheap headphones.  I obtained great results from the Sennheiser and acceptable from the Harman Kardon and the earbuds.

I tried with different combinations of cables, adapters (from  1/4 to 3.5mm since the piano is 1/4 but the headphones have a smaller connector), I also tried the two connectors on the back of the piano, one of them is mono and the one for headphones is stereo.  What I am using right now for my daily practice are the Harman Kardon.

My conclusion is that these Casio pianos will not work with all headphones and it doesn´t matter if they are studio, high quality, expensive, etc.  So you need to test with different headphones until you find one that sounds as expected.  I wouldn´t recommend to spend a high amount on headphones for this specific use because they might not sound as you expect.

I hope this helps.

6 hours ago, CAVA said:

I had a similar experience with my PX350.  What I found was that not all headphones will sound the same with the CASIO.  I tested some really cheap earbuds, Apple wired earbuds, low-cost headphones, a Harman Kardon CL (https://goo.gl/2AcSy6),  a Bose QuietComfort 25 (https://goo.gl/GcVGDM) and a Sennheiser HD 219 S (https://goo.gl/jXN7Ev).  What surprised me was that the Bose sounded really bad and something similar happened with the cheap headphones.  I obtained great results from the Sennheiser and acceptable from the Harman Kardon and the earbuds.

I tried with different combinations of cables, adapters (from  1/4 to 3.5mm since the piano is 1/4 but the headphones have a smaller connector), I also tried the two connectors on the back of the piano, one of them is mono and the one for headphones is stereo.  What I am using right now for my daily practice are the Harman Kardon.

My conclusion is that these Casio pianos will not work with all headphones and it doesn´t matter if they are studio, high quality, expensive, etc.  So you need to test with different headphones until you find one that sounds as expected.  I wouldn´t recommend to spend a high amount on headphones for this specific use because they might not sound as you expect.

I hope this helps.

I see. That is very disappointing because I only own 2 headphones which are mentioned in my original post. I don't even enjoy the sound quality coming from either of them..... Thanks for sharing your experience tho! I am actually going to visit a music store to ask about this issue and try my Sennheiser HD598 with other digital pianos. Then, if the total amount I need to pay for the piano and amp is greater than a new one, I think I will return px160 and get a new one....

Take a look at my posts about the Superlux HD681 (not the EVOs which I haven't tried) I recently tested with my PX350, 575 and newest PX560. These work as well or better than my 3  pair of expensive AKG monitor phones, which also work well with the Privias but not as efficient and less bass response-these are monitors. And as you can see from my posts, I also had inconsistent results with other headsets and am still not sure why including a new pair of AKG K52s which based on specs, should sound fine, but not with the Privias.  I believe the Samson SR850s which also get excellent reviews are almost identical to the Superlux in terms of specifications.

• 2 years later...

I found there's not one headphone that is good for all electronic-based pianos. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I learned that piece of information and the explanation. But it was explained in detail. However, you might try a very inexpensive pair of headphones that reproduces the "natural" sound of my GP-300 Grand Hybrid, and that's the JVC Flats. Priced about $20.00. It beats all other headphones in recreating the sound I hear when playing without the headphones. When first using these headphones, I couldn't tell whether the sound I was hearing was coming through the speaker system or the headphones. It won't break the bank to give them a try. P.S. The cable is somewhat short, so it's kind of tight from output to headphones. Thus, I use an extension adaptor to lengthen it made by Insignia. (Insignia - 6' 3.5mm Extension Cable - Black).