Video Files on Forum ×

Noisy keybed

Richard6504

Hi everyone,

Do other users also have a keyboard with some noisy keys in it? Especially the middle C is more noisy then the other ones. Is this because the keyboard or more specific the keybed is cheap or do i simply have bad luck? By the way this is my 2nd one the first one i had returned it to the reseller for the same reason. The problem of the 2nd one started one week a go. And the 1st one had it from the beginning. I am very curious about other experiences or maybe i am a hairsplitter.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Brad,

I 've tried to make a proper recording but thats not possible with the equipment i use.

It's the sound of one of the springs of the keys i think. And it is only audible when i play my keyboard with the volume almost on zero. So i think i am a little hairsplitter too,

But thanks anyway.

Kind regards ,

Richard

• 1 year later...

Dear Richard

I own a ctx 9000. I'm a hair splitter too! I noticed the same noise at the middle C, the G below that and the C & E in the next Octave.

It is a mechanical sound of the metal spring hitting against the plastic key maybe? I noticed that it doesn't occur if you play the key softly.

Was thinking of returning the keyboard also, but went back to the store and checked other CTX models as well as ctk models and the sound they make is worse than my keyboard!

The yamahas are pretty silent though. The KORGS had some pretty bad grating noises too ( with the power off!)

Decided to keep my keyboard as it is. I suppose the sounds may get a little worse with wear and tear. The display pieces had almost all the keys with some noise or the other. 

It is a purely mechanical problem though since it occurs even with the keyboard off. It doesn''t affect the keyboard speaker or outpur sound though!

I]ve been making some grating noises myself lately, but then that's a meidcal or behavior problem......:banghead:

The problem with alot of these non-weighted Casios (I have 2) is almost always this-there are separate assemblies for distinct groupings of keys-I have some photos on this forum showing  inside my older CTK6200. Each group is connected with a few screws behind the top covers-at the end of the key assembly. If these come loose-and they do in my experience-you will hear a clacking or clattering noise as the back of the key or some other part is now hitting somewhere it should not be. Unfortunately you must disassemble these keyboards to re-tighten these screws and if it is a floor model-guaranteed people have been playing it and the screws probably are loose-in one area, or several. My solution was to apply some "loctite" or similar thread-tightening material so the screws will not come loose once you tighten these. Many hobbyists use loctite since it can allow for dis-assembly-the screws will not be cemented in place but will resist coming loose from vibration. There no springs in these non-weighted Casios at least not the ones I've worked on. The key action comes from the actual plastic part of the key where it connects to the frame in the back of the key. Amazing that this simple design works at all, based upon the much more complex non-weighted keys I've had to repair or replace, but it keeps theCasio's  weight down too. I once took the counter-weights out of my Ensoniq TS-12-it literally reduced the weight by almost 10 pounds!-They used very heavy counterweights for each key-all 76, it added up. 

36 minutes ago, Casiofun said:

The major part of the noise is the keys going up and down on soft felt. They also contact the key rests that make contact under the part that is pressed. Regreasing the keys is what is done to quiet them down again. That is how they are fixed under warranty.

This is correct. I have regreased my WK 7600 keys twice now over the years I've owned it. Each time it restores the feel, smoothness and eliminates key clatter. I posted a video (in Russian but followable) on the forums on a similar thread before. The WK/CTK later keyboard have the same key set up as on the newer ct-x. I really wish Casio would drop these piano style keys....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I've seen a review that says the keybeds are different between the ctx models. Is this true ? Is the ctx5000 keybed different from the ctx700 ? And more importantly is the 3000 like the 700 or the 5000 ? A review stated the feel of the 5000 was superior to the 700. Curious , thanks

On 11/20/2019 at 1:24 PM, kurth said:

I have a question. I've seen a review that says the keybeds are different between the ctx models. Is this true ? Is the ctx5000 keybed different from the ctx700 ? And more importantly is the 3000 like the 700 or the 5000 ? A review stated the feel of the 5000 was superior to the 700. Curious , thanks

The new Casiotone CT-S series models have a newly designed action, but all other recent Casio 61 and 76 key models use the same action.  I guess it's possible the added weight and size of the X3000 and X5000 may have influence on feel, however the actual keybed is identical to the X700. 

....brings up a couple points. ..the youtube ctx700 teardown didn't give me alot of confidence , if it was a $450 keyboard. However it might be ok for a sub$200 keyboard . But that's because a $450-500 keyboard is competing against the numa 2 with fatar. Casio is kicking it with their new piano keybeds however, but the ctx700etc keybed doesn't appear equal in ingenuity.  And the rest of the 700 manufacturing seen in the video was anything but impressive. I am very impressed by their aix sound source however. But if true that all ctx's have the same keybed, the 700 for pure sounds seems the deal.

Since you mentioned the Numa Compact 2 and the price point, I'll point out a couple of things.  The Numa Compact 2 has a semi weighted action.  Casio CDP-S350, at the same price point, has the new 88 key graded hammer action plus the sounds and rhythms from the CT-X700/800.  CDP-S350 is basically an 88 key weighted CT-800.  If you want the weighted action and the CT-X700/800 sounds, CDP-S350 is the one to get.

• Like 1

Brad....are you sure? I've read the cdp s series has the same keybed as the priva s series missing the "smart" algorithm between the two sensors, and the same AIR sound source as the priva s as well....not the AIX sound source. I'd love to be wrong....because it's the AIX part that my ears find most interesting. I don't think the aix sound source is being used anywhere but the ctx line. Strange considering the exquisite sounds aix achieves. Maybe in a namm or two they'll release a board with both chips. And I'm not convinced a weighted piano interface is ideal for many of the non piano acoustic sounds. But maybe the new scaled hammer action ii is better than most. I've heard yamaha ghs action is terrible as a midi controller. Yep, at the half a grand mark, there's lots of options, three digital pianos coming from casio alone. At the 175 mark, not too many, if any. I just wish casio had offered a better interface for the ctx5000....at least better than what I saw on the ctx700 teardown. Or maybe I'm full of it, and that cheapie dual pressure switch  is actually ideal for acoustic like aix sounds, at which point buying the cheaper ctx casio would make even more sense. I'll look at some s350 reviews. I don't like that casio has limited the cdp line to certain cheap outlets in the US. Especially since most of them aren't that highly recommended. thanks

....watched pianomachucks review of the s3000. He does say it has a dual sound engine which includes the aix source. Hmmm....so that would mean that the s3000 is capable of that guitar or trumpet glissando heard in the ctx reviews at the top of the velocity curve, right  ? ....cause I haven't heard samples of that yet. The s3000 is a marvel. I'm gonna look into the cdps350. It's inside my budget. Watching jeremy see's review now, but he's the same guy who said the keybed on the ctx5000 was different ( and better) than the ctx700.  I would love to hear the cdp s350 express that velocity induced glissando. But so far the sound on the little ctx700 have impressed me the most. There's more acoustic modulation. Maybe that's the reviewers fault, because they are so piano sound oriented. Wished it had a more convincing keybed however. And wish I could compare them in person for myself, but not possible. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, Brad Saucier said:

The new Casiotone CT-S series models have a newly designed action, but all other recent Casio 61 and 76 key models use the same action.  I guess it's possible the added weight and size of the X3000 and X5000 may have influence on feel, however the actual keybed is identical to the X700. 

@Brad Saucier, could you please elaborate and describe more in details the new keybed action of the CT-S series? Thanks.

I wouldn't think it varies drastically from the scaled hammer action action II used in the regular Privia models aside from being compact and slim. Also it is a two sensor action rather than the three sensor in the traditional Privia. Some players complain about the short pivot point as the keys are harder to press the closer one plays to the back of the keys. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, Brad Saucier said:

@vbdx66  I don't know the details underneath, but the keys have a new textured surface, improved feel and less noise.  

Hi @Brad Saucier thanks for your answer.

I strongly hope that Casio will make a new keyboard with the AiX chip, the improved CT-S keybed and a more user-friendly interface.

One suggestion in particular: it would be nice to be able to store the selected rhythm variation in the registration memory. As things currently stand, if you want to change the voices and change the rhythm variation at the same time, you have to 1) press the registration button 2) press the Fill button 3) press the variation button. This is very complicated to achieve a smooth transition between two parts of the same piece.

Vinciane