Video Files on Forum ×

Noisy keybed

Richard6504

On 10/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, Richard6504 said:

Hi everyone,

Do other users also have a keyboard with some noisy keys in it? Especially the middle C is more noisy then the other ones. Is this because the keyboard or more specific the keybed is cheap or do i simply have bad luck? By the way this is my 2nd one the first one i had returned it to the reseller for the same reason. The problem of the 2nd one started one week a go. And the 1st one had it from the beginning. I am very curious about other experiences or maybe i am a hairsplitter.

Regards,

Richard

I am a hair splitter too.

Yes you turn it past 1 or 2, no issue and like many said Casio May have the longest lasting keys and chassis, but the keys are clacky at low volumes.

So two days ago I went and played the new WK-245, CT-X3000, and CT-X5000 and all of them have noisy keybeds compared to the used Yamaha PSR there.

Overall all three Casios sound better than the similar budget to mid level Yamahas.

If I get the chance I will go back to Guitar Center and try the displayed floor models there starting with the cheapest one, a $499 Roland JD, and then play every keyboard from them, Casio, Yamaha, and Korg all the way up to the $3999 Yamaha Montage and get a Birdseye of keybed noise.

Usually nobody is there so I could hear them unplugged.

• Like 1

So yesterday I went to Guitar Center and pit the Casio WK-6600 with unweighted keys against the Roland JDXi synth and Yamaha NP-22, both not weighted, and the Casio WK-6600 was more solid feeling.

i found comparing weighted to non weighted keys as comparing apples to oranges.

But the Yamaha Motif MX-49 and the Yamaha YPG-535 electric grand had better non weighted keys than the Casio WK-6600.

About the same feel was the budget Yamaha EW-300 workstation. The white keys on the Yamaha were better than the Casio but the black keys had an off putting texture. But in the basic same price range, the $299 Casio WK-6600 offers so much more than the $269 Yamaha EW-300.

From what I have read the workstation worthy, $449 CT-X5000 flagship is better than the $429 Yamaha EW-410 top of the line Yamaha E series workstation but I am yet to try them out side by side.

The Guitar Center here is more interested in pushing their next line, the Motif engine MX series starting at $499. It’s a shame they don’t have the E series on the floor at my local store.

To be fair to the CT-X series, Jeremy See from YouTube thinks the CT-X3000 and 5000 models have steadier keys.

I wish I could see side by side a CT-X3000 and still affordable $449 CT-X5000 versus the $699 Yamaha MX-61 side by side. 

I think in general the MX-61 and CT-X5000 are equal in features.

it would be unfair to bring a Yamaha Montage recorded full grand sound from the $549 piano inspired YPG-535 and start expecting the new CT-X to compare.

i think Casio may up the stakes and make the WK series get AiX at next month’s NANM and it could bring it up to Motif driven Yamaha MX tonalities.

Yamaha could bury the competition if they put in Montage quality acoustic pianos into the MX.

• 2 weeks later...

Casio are now right up there with the best and their tech will end up the best.

They are making more strides than even Yamaha and  an see in maybe a couple of years dominating the market.

The CTX5000 is a very powerful and versatile keyboard only hampered by a complex menu system of menus.

It's just a real pity casio still retain the idea in many peoples heads these are toys, as Casio used to be terrible and toy sounds 

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:00 AM, Lee33 said:

This is correct. I have regreased my WK 7600 keys twice now over the years I've owned it. Each time it restores the feel, smoothness and eliminates key clatter. I posted a video (in Russian but followable) on the forums on a similar thread before. The WK/CTK later keyboard have the same key set up as on the newer ct-x. I really wish Casio would drop these piano style keys....

Hmmm, I wonder what kinda grease they use for the plastic keybed, silicone based?

Look around here-there are posts that reference exactly what kind of lube Casio is using on these-I forget what it is specifically-but i recall any petroleum-based lubes are NG-petroleum can deteriorate plastic-and seriously contaminate the rubber sensors underneath. Don't take my word for it-do some web searches-have to be very careful what you put on these keys, and how you do it. You can purchase the right kind of lube-I have found some pretty sloppy lube jobs on several different boards. Absolutely do not get lubes or even tuner/contact cleaners near those rubber sensors-or you are looking at alot more work-and could permanently ruin the carbon contacts inside.

19 hours ago, Synthwave said:

What it seems is that we are all demanding a new arranger keyboard with the aix chip that corrects the errors and deficiencies of the ctx since they are not able to solve some by firmware (ahhh that lack of midi clock ...) Casio, what are you waiting for ?

Hi maybe Casio is working at the successors of the CT-X range right now... who knows?

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 3:51 AM, Richard6504 said:

Hi everyone,

Do other users also have a keyboard with some noisy keys in it? Especially the middle C is more noisy then the other ones. Is this because the keyboard or more specific the keybed is cheap or do i simply have bad luck? By the way this is my 2nd one the first one i had returned it to the reseller for the same reason. The problem of the 2nd one started one week a go. And the 1st one had it from the beginning. I am very curious about other experiences or maybe i am a hairsplitter.

Regards,

Richard

Yes. I have that kind of problem. Specifically, the middle octave C, F and G! I open the keyboard and tighten the screw, at first the noise is gone, another day of practicing, it's back again. Then I gave up and accept the fact that casio's key bed are low quality

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken there are complaints about the yahama actions used on the reface, psr e, and MX 49 and 61.  They are similar in design to Casio but are not piano style. I think the problem is mainly with the plastic used for the keys. It is lightweight and flimsy and gets noisy with use. My CTX 5000 has noisy keys but I play with over ear headphones so I don't hear it. It sounds great through headphones.

I don’t agree. If Yamaha wins clearly over Casio IMHO it is in durability. I never had an issue with my PSR E433 during the few years that I owned it whereas I had key issues with the CT-X800 after one month. It is in the repair shop for the second time under the warranty scheme and it has been there for one month and a half which means that I cannot play it.

For me, the quality of the keybed is the second most important characteristic of a keyboard after the sound quality. The sound quality of the AiX chip is great but the keybed of the CT-X800 is subpar.

I don’t want to play with headphones at all times (if you tach a kid or play for family and friends what are you supposed to do?) and on my keyboard it is not only a keybed issue, some sounds are distorted (a sensor issue maybe?).

I strongly hope that the CT-S400 will solve all the issues of the CT-X range. If this is not the case I’ll probably wait for the Yamaha PSR E473 to hit the shelves.

• Like 1

VBDX 66. Here is a link you can go to regarding key noise on other than Casio products: https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/issue-with-loose-and-crack-keys. The point is that all keyboard manufacturers have complaints about key noise and it isn't limited to inexpensive keyboards, but even on their more expensive products as you can see in the comments. More expensive products don't necessarily equate to better quality keybeds.

• Like 1

I'm checking with other user groups-but there seems to be a trend now, to reduce keyboard weight-to eliminate metal, springs and other mechanicals used in older keyboards. The Medeli weighted action piano (and others), are using the same plastic hinge action as the CTX, XW and CTK Casios. And...I'm not totally sure, but it might be the same Medeli weighted action in the newest Kurzeil PC4, which is running close to 2000 US dollars, I'm trying to find accurate info on that one.  Kurzweil has been using Fatar for years see below.

I'm not judging the design-I'm just not seeing the designs I've seen on some (not all) older keys weighted or otherwise. One of the worst keyboards I ever played was a Roland RS-70- I wasn't sure the keys were attached to -anything. Flimsy, sloppy-worse than the least expensive toy keyboard I've ever played. And this was an expensive instrument, so I investigate construction now before I buy anything. Fatar-is one of the biggest manufacturers of weighted and non-weighted keybeds for many companies-and although these are generally very well-made-and heavier-there have been glaring and costly mistakes in their manufacture-so bad in one particular brand-that i believe it contributed to that keyboard failing completely in the marketplace. And yet this mechanism is still being used, and is one of the most frequently installed keybeds in some of the most expensive weighted controller keyboards-I'm talking about Nords, Dexibells, Doepfer, Studiologic, Novation and several others. don't believe me-do some research online.

Caveat emptor-and part of the reason as a player and performer, a legend in my own mind over time, I've had to become knowledgable about all this. That and I'm a little cuckoo!!!!!!                :banghead:             :taz: 

:spacecraft-1:

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have Casio CTX-700 , at the time of playing some keys it is making some strange noise of spring. I visited Casio store twice and  regreas the piano twice. Still I have same issue. It irretates a lot sometimes at the time of playing some notes. Any suggestions what should I do next? Or should I just continue playing and ignore this noise? Is it normal or have such noise?