Video Files on Forum ×

Throwback thread - CTK keyboards from the 1990s!

In 1997, I had the CTK-601.  The rhythm numbers around 020 were the dance-orientated ones.  I think 027 was trance and around 019/020 was a beat called very funky, written as VeryFnky as it was limited to 8 letters.  Brilliant and syncopated beat!  It also had a jungle beat which I liked.  You could also change which drumkit they used.  The best thing about this keyboard though is that you could go into synthesiser mode, pick 2 voices, alter them if you wished, then re-package them as a single voice and save it as a user voice.  Think they were numbered 160+ after the drumkits.  For saving music, I had a MIDI sequencer where you could save the files onto a floppy disk, a process known as data dump (or bulk dump).  So yes, very fond memories of this keyboard.

Did anyone else have a CTK around 20 years ago?  The '6' in 601 was the series number, then the numbers after the 6 would be just the country/region plus any extra options.

Afterwards, I had a WK-3500 (in 2005), a CTK-5000 (in 2010) and now I'm after an MZ-X500 although I can't seem to find any in the UK at the moment.

I have the WK-1250 from 1997, although water damage from a flood caused it to fail.  Anyways, yes, I remember very funky.  Once of the favorite rhythms.  I loved the little synth function those keyboards had.  Not bad for a beginner.  It was the first Casio I bought on my own, after having an early CT model my parents gave me as a gift.  

I just found a CTK-611 at a local thrift store. Looked interesting, so I bought it. After a quick clean up, plugged it in and was somewhat impressed by the funky rhythms and quality sounds.

The synth samples are really good.  Drum pads even! There's 16 reviews over on the Sonicstate site. People like 'em.

I need to run this board though some monitors. It could be gig worthy.

I just realized they're the same keyboards (601/611).

• 1 month later...

Butting in again-nice to hear how a basic simple part can be built upon. I had one of the first SK2100 Casios, used it constantly with my music classes. Added a few other Casios to that-ended up with quite a few Casios in the classroom, were loads of fun. Just picked up a C230s and working on that. I cut my teeth on the Czs early on, the 101 was my first Casio synth.

• 6 months later...

A few years back there was a rash of these on the local Craigslist for around $40 give or take.  I first got a 601 and loved it.  Found the 611 was the same with a backlit display, so got a pair of them and make a double stand.  Gave my daughter the 601.  I'd say it's one of the best sounding and best featured home keyboards for the price.  A lot of the tones are pretty good by themselves, but when you use the synth function and mix them up, edit the attach/release/waveform etc., layer them... I can get some really cool sounds.  All the other keyboards I've seen of similar caliber just have fixed preset sounds.

Only thing is I wish I could save the sounds I make.  I'll have to try the keyboard dump to the computer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I used to have LK-50 (released in 2001-02). Despite not a CTK model, it incorporates the exact same tones and rhythms as the CTK601/611, only lacking reverb 

The dance category rhythms is quite exciting.  EuroBeat, Disco, GrovSoul and VeryFnky are my favorites. 

The only thing I despise about Casio's old rhythms is that most of these rhythms have crash cymbals in every 4 or 2 bars, which is quite annoying, and also some chord phrases which sounds quite excessive (for me, at least); one example of the latter is "Tango", listen the violins in both Normal and Variation 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:51 AM, TheBradge said:

I owned the WK-1200, the CTK-601 and the CTK-731! Great machines. The 601 had a style called "World Pop" and in all my modesty i think that that's one of the best styles Casio has EVER created on a keyboard!

"World Pop" is a legend! 😉😉

Imagine if this rhythm is played on CT-X with new sounds, it would sound really awesome 

• Thanks 1

Всё же, очень приятно читать тёплые отзывы о "первых" своих аппаратах, о первых впечатлениях и эмоциях. И ведь дело не только в возрасте.

• 1 year later...

After years of playing with all sorts of synths, computer music programs, workstations, the whole gamut, I recently found and purchase a ctk 601 at goodwill.

Finding it to be a lot of fun with excellent synthesis potential for a máss market Casio.

Love that it can receive midi and work as a sound module. I've hooked up to wireless midi adapter and been sending patterns and songs to it from a iPhone app that generates patterns.  Also receiving midi drum data from this app.  This takes the casio to a whole different level.  

The onboard speakers are great.  

The sequencer is also very interesting and surprisingly capable (6 tracks?!) although lack of quantitize is regrettable.

While I wish it had control over a few more parameters in the synth section and reverb, this is a great era of electronic instruments.  While they were pretty capable, they had limits, unlike many modern gear which is overwhelming the choices and processes necessary to sync with pc, file management etc.  

This is immediate, fun, intuitive, and great fidelity.  Also forgot to mention decent drum sounds- the 808 kit is not half bad.  

My first synth was a korg poly 800, and while I would rate the korg higher for several reasons, the 601 is vaguely reminding me of it.  Well done casio 👌