Video Files on Forum ×

XW-P1 midi controller with LMMS

Slypou

I'm new with midi use with my XW-P1 and I'm trying to use it as a midi controller in LMMS.

In order to use midi output of my XW-P1, I have bought a MIDI to USB cable.

Unfortunally, I can't make this work.

Then I have tried to connect to my computer using the USB port of the XW-P1.

It works but there is a small delay (acceptable depending what I'm doing) and I don't know if I got all the functionalities that way.

So I'm trying to know If I can get better delay and expect more functionalities if MIDI to USB is used? 

If so, any document could help me using this option (guide of parameters to set)?

Sly

Which sounds are you listening to? Are you monitoring the Casio sounds and getting delay, or are you hearing the the computer's sounds-in other words, are you monitoring the computer's soundcard sounds. there will always be some delay with any music keyboard connected to a computer regardelss of drivers id you are listening to the computer's built-in sounds, in Windows depending upon you settings for your midi out port in LMMS, you may be hearing the Windows built-in sound generator the so-called "wavetable synthesizer". There is not much you can do to remove the delay if that is what is happening. If however, you have set up LMMS to provide midi out to your usb mid out port, so it plays the Casio sounds when you play the casio keyboard, there should be no delay at all. I will check my copy of LMMS and my XW to see how this works. You should be able to record your XW live playing and monitor it at the same time if your ports are set up properly from within LMMS. Don't worry about ASIO, it shouldn't be necessary to install or use those. LMMS can supposedly work fine without ASIO. And important question, are you using an Apple, Linux or Windows operating system?

Adding some updated info. The LMMS software apparently uses its own way of connecting to midi in and out, but I also ha forgotten-the Microsoft wavetable synthesizer doesn't show up as a midi output-to play your sounds from midi in to midi out. Instead you must open the settings menu, find the soundfont page or menu-and point LMMS to a soundfont-and you must download and install one. Look up Coolsoft Virtual midi synth, their website has many downloadable soundfonts, many of which must be unzipped or decompressed only with a specialized program labelled sfz. I use Archno soundfont, but with Coolsoft instead of the Windows internal synthesizer, but there will always be a latency delay with a software synth if you are using it for live playing unless I've missed something. I used to be able to use a less cpu intensive internal Windows synth-but it was atrocious sounding and I don't remember what it was. I think it dated from Windows 95 ugh!