Video Files on Forum ×

Out of tune?

Tsquare

While practicing the intro to the  Bittersweet Symphony, I notice the right hand melody notes in the range of:  E5, B5, D5, and A6 are out of tune with the left hand playing octaves in the range of E2, B2, D2, A2 (in tune).  Playing right hand part lower or higher than E5 area sounds correct.  I rebooted the PX560 several times, changed the piano tone to no avail.  My pitch wheel and modulation wheels are neutral.  I then adjusted the tuning in the system settings menu from 440hz to 450hz (see MP3 of both versions) and it sounds better at 450hz?  I haven't noticed this out-of-tune problem until now.  Am I crazy or am I doing something wrong?   I installed the latest v1.15 firmware when I got the keyboard in September and have had no other issues.  There is a factory reset button, but I don't want to resort to that if I don't have to.  

440hz_out of tune.mp3

450hz_sounds better.mp3

Thanks for the response Brad.  If you say it sounds normal, I'll take your word.  Not sure what's going on with my hearing............."ear dementia"?  I definitely don't want to start something that unfairly disparages Casio.  I love my PX560.  If the consensus in the forum doesn't hear a problem, I'll gladly remove this post.  BTW, I did not change the temperament, it's set to equal.

Do you regularly play a woodwind or brass instrument? Your ear might be used to those pitches. "Stretch tuning" if off will make the upper octaves sound flat compared to lower-but not in that specific range. And brass instruments are "just intonation" instruments-notes and intervals will sound out of tune compared to equal temperament keyboards. Synths will sound out of tune compared to an acoustic piano depending the design. Guitars also will always clash with pianos-how often do you hear guitar/piano duets unless the parts are kept fairly separate from each other. I learned this the hard way after many "DISCUSSIONS" during my early keyboard comping days with guitarists!

I hear what you are saying-extreme registers on any piano will never sound exactly right when played together. I actually hear the 440 example as better than the 450. I also hear a slight decay in the pitch as the amplitude fades off. From what I know of acoustics-this is normal as the tone loses energy, so will the pitch of a string. If you play guitar-you can hear this when tuning-the tone will change slightly from attack to decay. Trouble is, the Casio piano is dealing so accurately with reproducing a true acoustic-you are hearing some of the inherent flaws that exist in even the best pianos! Try the stretch tuning setting, might sound better to you.

7 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Do you regularly play a woodwind or brass instrument? Your ear might be used to those pitches. "Stretch tuning" if off will make the upper octaves sound flat compared to lower-but not in that specific range. And brass instruments are "just intonation" instruments-notes and intervals will sound out of tune compared to equal temperament keyboards. Synths will sound out of tune compared to an acoustic piano depending the design. Guitars also will always clash with pianos-how often do you hear guitar/piano duets unless the parts are kept fairly separate from each other. I learned this the hard way after many "DISCUSSIONS" during my early keyboard comping days with guitarists!

I hear what you are saying-extreme registers on any piano will never sound exactly right when played together. I actually hear the 440 example as better than the 450. I also hear a slight decay in the pitch as the amplitude fades off. From what I know of acoustics-this is normal as the tone loses energy, so will the pitch of a string. If you play guitar-you can hear this when tuning-the tone will change slightly from attack to decay. Trouble is, the Casio piano is dealing so accurately with reproducing a true acoustic-you are hearing some of the inherent flaws that exist in even the best pianos! Try the stretch tuning setting, might sound better to you.

I hear the 450 as better! Obviously you have to set it to what you like, everybody hears things differently.

SOLUTION FOUND!  Stretch tuning was "ON" which is the default.  When I turned it "OFF" (which is normal tuning), the piano sounds correct to me.  I had to turn Auto Resume "ON" so it remembers my change.  The keyboard is still set to default 440hz and equal temperament.  Thanks for all the input and sorry for the mix-up.  As m10538 wisely stated:  "you have to set it to what you like, everybody hears things differently".