Video Files on Forum ×

Strummed Guitar tones

Brian H

The forum seems to have gone to sleep as far as any new Casio official tone downloads is concerned.

I would like to have some realistic strummed guitar sounds on my PX-560.

Can only find the Guitar Pack foe PX-5S.

I would also like more details about the problems solved by V1.15 firmware upgrade please.

That is, Casio-people is it worth the trouble?

Strumming is done by playing the keys or using the arpeggiator with a guitar pattern selected.  Some of the preset guitar tones in the PX-560 are designed for strumming (with muted strum samples in the lower octaves).  They are based on what we did for the PX-5S as downloads, so you essentially already have the downloads for the PX-5S.  😉  

As far as firmware, the update "improves certain operation", which translates to bug correction. If you have not noticed any operating issues, it may not apply to your specific situation, but it never hurts to update anyways.  We don't have any details beyond that, probably because the update information is more technical babble than anything else. 

Thanks, Brad. 

I have tried many techniques and guitar patterns but can't quite get what I'm after though

so I'll just keep experimenting. (There aren't any suitable guitars on the hex layer group)

As far as operating issues, I DO have one major fault which is actually involving guitar tones.

On my keyboard, the Nylon String Guitar 1 ceases to function for all notes below E2

and all I get is a most unpleasant percussive thud for this range.

Fortunately Nylon String Guitar 2 & 3 are OK below E2.

But this also happens with Steel Guitar + Strum Noise M1, M2 & M3.

As far as I can tell, every other tone (all groups) is OK over the bottom range of the keyboard.

This has been the case since I bought the instrument but surely this is NOT a normal function.

I was hoping that one of the new versions of firmware may resolve this.

Can anything be done about it??

15 minutes ago, Brian H said:

On my keyboard, the Nylon String Guitar 1 ceases to function for all notes below E2

and all I get is a most unpleasant percussive thud for this range.

Fortunately Nylon String Guitar 2 & 3 are OK below E2.

But this also happens with Steel Guitar + Strum Noise M1, M2 & M3.

This is exactly as it should be.  Those are muted strum sounds in that range.  The samples are placed in the lower octaves and below the lowest note a real 6 string guitar can reproduce in standard EADGBE tuning.  These are some of the preset sounds I mentioned that were a result of created downloads for the PX-5S.  To see how to use the muted notes, check out how Mike Martin plays it on his PX-5S about halfway into this video.  The last guitar demo he does is probably the only one not in the PX-560.

Thanks for your reply, Brad.

It's great to know that my keyboard is not faulty.  I apologise for assuming it was.

And thanks for the Mike Martin clip which demonstrates the use of Nylon Guitar 1 'strum' sounds.

But I could never have guessed that this lower section was intended to sound this way - it had me fooled.

Thanks also kybdsammer for the extra info re V1.15

• Like 1

I always assumed the PX560 was "GM compatible" as I can play smf  no problem.  from external computer files. But then I did upgrade to 1.15. I don't see a setting to turn this feature off or on, so I assume it is designed to automatically recognize a GM soundmap. But then, don't all the Casios have this already? I have studied many of the midi maps for the various Casios I play, and it looks like the GM sound mapping is already there, based upon bank settings. I know this because with midi files, unless I manually set bank change messages in my software-the Casio pianos for instance have GM pianos, not the more advanced stereo-sampled pianos in bank zero, at least the PX350 did it this way. As long as it works, I'm happy.  and I see the 560 also seems to use the same design-there are acoustic piano tones that seem to sound more like the standard GM piano tones, and then the more advanced acoustic multi-samples stereo pianos.