Video Files on Forum ×

4 Month Review of CT-X5000.

RickyLee

I am a one-man band..entertainer...or whatever you want to call it. I am 74 years young and I use the board to supplement my singing. I used to play guitar but because of injuries to my hands that is no longer allow me to fret the neck.  I primarily play oldies...country and 50's/60's music. I started in 2011 with a Korg PA 80 and had so much problems with it...it was used...so I bought a Casio CTK 7200. I was not impressed with that and sent it back and purchased a Korg Micro Arranger. I wanted something for a back-up and after spending a lot of time previewing instruments on U Tube, I decided to get the X5000 as the sounds seemed very do-able for me. Well, I got it got used to it and put it on the gig scene. After much frustration with the music styles (as I refer to them) in trying to adapt them to the music I do...I gave up and put it back in the closet and went back to the Korg. The fact that only a small handful of the pre-recorded styles are usable with the type of music I do....and there are no available styles available to download and use any where on the internet. The styles of the X5000 fit more modern genres of music. They cannot be altered like the Korg allows me to do...with instrument change-outs and  I need a college degree to figure out how to put several instruments together to make a sound that fits my style. I am seriously considering putting the Casio on the market and getting rid of it and sticking with the Korg.  Seriously, Mike Martin, you guys at Casio need to come up with some music style files that can be loaded to fit the song styles that guys like me want and need. The technology exists...the AIC chip is marvelous. If a solution doesn't come available very soon, this machine is going bye bye.  Yes, I could go to a Pa 600/700 and get what I want but I am one a limited budget and I play music to bring joy to the elderly and shut-ins so the money tree is not very prolific. If anyone of you have some good solutions , please share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely, Ricky Lee

Jerome, ID

• Like 1

I agree with Ricky. The AiX chip is great but a doctorate in Sciences is needed to master the more advanced functions such as the Rhythm editor or the Mixer and Sequencer because there are so many menus and sub-menus, and just this tiny LCD screen to monitor all parameters and besides, only the numeric keypad to access what you want to modify. The user interface is a disaster, which is a shame, because the sounds are great, as are the onboard rhythms, and the keybed is probably one of the bests in this price range.

It was not the CT-X5000 but the CT-X3000 and I returned it because of its complexity. I agree with Ricky, the MZ-X500 is beyond my budget and besides, I find that the CT-X series sounds much better, the sounds and rhythms are fresher and more realistic. And anyway, it has become clear that Casio won’t do any follow-up for the MZ-X line.

I will probably go for a CT-X800 to complement my Yamaha DGX650 and wait and hope that in the next two years, Casio will launch an AiX powered board which will meet my needs (simplicity of the CT-X800 but with 4 variation rhythms and the possibility, at least, to adjust the levels of the Upper1, Upper2 and Lower voice; or else, sophistication of the CT-X3000 with a more friendly user interface and easier operating system).

Just my 2 cents 😉

I just wanted to make everyone aware that this forum is here for you to ask questions and learn how to use your keyboard.  If you get stuck with anything, simply start a new topic in the appropriate area and ask away.  I have a CT-X5000 sitting here by me now and a MZ-X500.  I can answer any how-to questions, usually very quickly. 

20181105_102602.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/4/2018 at 7:25 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Thanks Ricky.  Can you name a couple of songs you would like rhythms for on the CT-X5000?  Country is sort of my specialty, with oldies a close second.  Here is a clip of me playing a section of a Floyd Cramer tune on the CT-X5000.

Brad, I am looking for a good Ray Price type walking shuffle and a good rhythm that will fit will give a good country swing feel with a walking bass as well. I played lead guitar for almost 45+ years. I know what it takes to get folks in the mood to dance. Most all of my songs I do, have a good dancing rhythm to them. I have quite a bit of that stuff for my Korg, however, it took several years of searching and modifying to get them where they are. I figured I would have to do the same for this instrument (CT-X5000). I was and am very perplexed with the fact that there are no music styles available for download...anywhere...that are available. Most of the old Casio styles are lacking in a lot of areas. I thought that this Casio would be an arranger but it apparently isn't. With my Korg, I can change and tweak a lot of things on the fly. No so, on this board. I am also looking for a good basic rhythm that will work well with country ballads such as Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, Together Again. I also need something that will work with a lot of the Don Williams tunes.

Sincerely Ricky Lee

The RickyLee Show

Ricky, you can create rhythms from scratch or edit existing ones.  It also has a 16+1 track sequencer for creating full songs.  I think you may simply just need some guidance to get into those functions on the CT-X5000.  I'll look around for some rhythms to fit those songs.  I already created what you need for Ray Price shuffles and even made a demo video using the MZ-X500. I would need to adapt it to the CT-X5000 and upload it for you.  

• Like 2

Brad-the MZX would be my next Casio-but the retail prices are still a bit high for me-and still prefer at least 76 keys for stretching out. But based upon my PX560-this os and large screen looks about the best I've seen except for the Roland large color screens which run 3x the price. As far as complexity-better is the word "deep". Given the high used prices for even the older CTK and WK models, I'd say Casio has carved a nice spot in the marketplace despite all the other choices.

I have already gone the path of creating original styles in ckf using mid files-and style files from Yamaha converted to .mid converted to .ckf and the workflow is not too bad once I got used to the software and concept of marks in software sequencers plus making sure each track is allocated to the proper track on the Casio. I've used Cakewalk, Jazz++, Anvil Studio, LMMS and Musescore to see what the styles look like first when converted to midi. The cool thing about the converted styles-I have used the same new ckf in the px 350, the PX560 and the older px575 with a few adjustments using the mixer in the PX560 gives really nice results. I would have to guess that this process will work with the MZs, but it looks like it isn't necessary. And although there are only so many slots to save user styles with the 560-off the thumb drive using the media menu works nicely. How does the MZx look in that department, that is number of user slots for styles? And does it use .ac7, .ckf or another casio format? and finally-can I upload styles here on this forum, might want to send up a few.

5 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

How does the MZx look in that department, that is number of user slots for styles? And does it use .ac7, .ckf or another casio format? and finally-can I upload styles here on this forum, might want to send up a few.

MZX series can load AC7, C00 and CKF rhythms natively.  It can also load MID files and convert them to rhythms using the on board conversion editor.   The number of user slots is virtually unlimited since the keyboard can play rhythms directly from USB drives without needing to import them first.  The number of internal storage slots when not using USB is 100.  

Yes, you can share rhythms by uploading to the downloads section on this forum.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:43 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Ricky, you can create rhythms from scratch or edit existing ones.  It also has a 16+1 track sequencer for creating full songs.  I think you may simply just need some guidance to get into those functions on the CT-X5000.  I'll look around for some rhythms to fit those songs.  I already created what you need for Ray Price shuffles and even made a demo video using the MZ-X500. I would need to adapt it to the CT-X5000 and upload it for you.  

Brad! Perfect!! That could solve a bunch of my needs. If you can post that where I could put that in my machine....I would be able to bring a lot of joy to some special elderly folks who love that kind of music so much. That is why I try to keep it alive in what I do.

Thanks Ricky!!! :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 2:28 AM, vbdx66 said:

It was not the CT-X5000 but the CT-X3000 and I returned it because of its complexity. I agree with Ricky, the MZ-X500 is beyond my budget and besides, I find that the CT-X series sounds much better, the sounds and rhythms are fresher and more realistic. And anyway, it has become clear that Casio won’t do any follow-up for the MZ-X line.

I will probably go for a CT-X800 to complement my Yamaha DGX650 and wait and hope that in the next two years, Casio will launch an AiX powered board which will meet my needs (simplicity of the CT-X800 but with 4 variation rhythms and the possibility, at least, to adjust the levels of the Upper1, Upper2 and Lower voice; or else, sophistication of the CT-X3000 with a more friendly user interface and easier operating system).

Just my 2 cents 😉

I have a CTX800 sitting here still in its box.  Let me share a few things I learned after I bought -- but will return my CT-X800:

1) You cannot edit the AiX sounds on the CT-X800 as you can on the CT-X3000/5000.

2) You cannot MIX the layered sounds at all on the 800.

3) There are no Line Outputs on the CTX800 -- you must use the Headphone Output.

4) Same here -- limited budget -- cannot go for the MZ-X500 -- but from your comment -- the CTX line with the AiX chip, sounds better.

5) You cannot Sequence on any of the CTX KBs -- that's OK for me -- I'll do that in my DAW; but you DO have those handy Phrase Pads in the 3000/5000.

6) The 3000/5000 records MIDI in full 17 tracks; the 800 only does 6 or so tracks.

I hope this helps.  I'm getting the CT-X5000 and will accept the learning curve.  No, it does not take a PhD to learn the 5000!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 11/4/2018 at 4:57 PM, RickyLee said:

I am a one-man band..entertainer...or whatever you want to call it. I am 74 years young and I use the board to supplement my singing. I used to play guitar but because of injuries to my hands that is no longer allow me to fret the neck.  I primarily play oldies...country and 50's/60's music. I started in 2011 with a Korg PA 80 and had so much problems with it...it was used...so I bought a Casio CTK 7200. I was not impressed with that and sent it back and purchased a Korg Micro Arranger. I wanted something for a back-up and after spending a lot of time previewing instruments on U Tube, I decided to get the X5000 as the sounds seemed very do-able for me. Well, I got it got used to it and put it on the gig scene. After much frustration with the music styles (as I refer to them) in trying to adapt them to the music I do...I gave up and put it back in the closet and went back to the Korg. The fact that only a small handful of the pre-recorded styles are usable with the type of music I do....and there are no available styles available to download and use any where on the internet. The styles of the X5000 fit more modern genres of music. They cannot be altered like the Korg allows me to do...with instrument change-outs and  I need a college degree to figure out how to put several instruments together to make a sound that fits my style. I am seriously considering putting the Casio on the market and getting rid of it and sticking with the Korg.  Seriously, Mike Martin, you guys at Casio need to come up with some music style files that can be loaded to fit the song styles that guys like me want and need. The technology exists...the AIC chip is marvelous. If a solution doesn't come available very soon, this machine is going bye bye.  Yes, I could go to a Pa 600/700 and get what I want but I am one a limited budget and I play music to bring joy to the elderly and shut-ins so the money tree is not very prolific. If anyone of you have some good solutions , please share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely, Ricky Lee

Jerome, ID

Your joking aren't you? Got this keyboard and it has great styles for all types of music,? Modern to old work fine and have no issues with styles and rhythms used with old songs. Just need to be creative and you can also create your own rhythms.

The sounds are amazing. Love this keyboard and its extremely versatile and not stuck in the past and 64 and can use it well with old songs also. I play old and modern music. Not just stuck in the past with the old stuff. You need to be versatile when it comes to playing music and I like all kinds

Edited by Denodan
  • Like 2

You might want to look into Band in a Box which is accompaniment software that runs on computer. You can plug in your 5000 into your computer and use your 5000 to generate the melody. You can buy style packs that suit what you play. Ryhthms on the 5000 can be edited as can the instruments that make up the accompany parts--intros endings fills and variations. Yes it takes some time to learn but most boards like this have a learning curve. You can also buy a Yahama Genos for $5500 and get more of what you may be looking for if you have that kind of money.

Appreciate you input! I am not a wonderful, creative keyboardist...wish I was. I am a guitar player trying to hang on to my past. My tastes are of the obg age 50' s and 60's. I don't care for the new stuff. I know many on here do...and that is quite ok. Gotta please everyone's musicial whims.  I'm not good at going into mixers and editor software. That is why the Korg micro-arranger worked so good for me. I can change styles on the fly....instruments and setting to what works best for me.  I struggle to do that with the Casio. The digital sounds of the Casio CT-X are far superior and I would like to use it but the styles just don't fit what I do. I know I expressed frustration and swore to get rid of the Casio but I really don't want to. Oh well, I'll keep on hopin' and lookin' and maybe someday I might be able to find a style or two that goes along with my tunes like Maybelline, Blue Berry Hill, a good Carl Perkins' style of shuffle and a good Venture's style rock rhythm along with a good twist. Maybe I will be able to figure out how to edit some of the styles so I can better fit the rhyhthms to go along with Waylon's and Don Williams' tunes. Maybe what I expect is for a fairy to drop in with her magical wand. Oh well!! Just a crazy ol' man rattlin' on lookin' for a miracle.

Happy New Year To All

RickyLee

Jerome, ID

• Like 1

I like geeky things and with versitality comes complexity. But this your only limited to your imagination. Get many say it's a steep learning curve, which it is, but so versatile and dought any other keyboard in this range is as versatile which is why I love it.

Its amazing for what it is. Looked at the korg ek50 and a close tossup, but casio won due it its versatility and can change very voice to your liking.

When I first started trying to implement the arranger into my show, I was using a Korg PA 80....big brother of Micro Arranger....it took me a couple of years to clear out the styles and put in those that would allow me to do what I wanted. You can find styles for the Older Korgs and Yamahas but diddly squat for the Casio. Anyway, the PA 80 died on me and I tried to get parts....obsolete...Because I had all of those styles saved on my computer, I opted for the micro-arranger because it is the same unit, basically only in a smaller pkg. I needed a back up unit, so I checked around and all I could afford was the Casio....open box $359 usd. It has an issue or two and may be why I got it for the lower price..thru AMS. I like the sound but my Korg styles are no good for using on the CASIO.  My Korg music styles are spot-on with the rhythm and appropriate instrumentation..after trial and error. The EK-50 came out after I got the Casio and I couldn't afford the Pa 600, 700 or 900/1000. The Korgs are so much easier for a individual who isn't very tech savvy. The Casio requires intricate studying and tweaking to get what you want at least for me.  I have a learning disability plus being 75 yrs old and it is a struggle for me., you see.  I wish you luck with your CT-X5000 and I hope it does all you want it to do. I use my arrangers in a live setting with Vocals my selling point. I use the right hand to play the keys like I would have done with my guitar if I was still able. I used to play with a Yamaha PSR-550 with a Roland PK-5 allowing me to play with my feet and keeping my hands free to play the guitar to play the lead parts..arthritus (sp) put an end to that. But, I ain't no quitter so in order to keep playing my oldies for elderly and shut-ins, I had to make a flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants stab at using an arranger keyboard to keep those dreams alive. Well...in a nutshell...here I are!!! As Paul Harvey once said...now you know the rest of the story!! :)

Ricky

If you can upload a few of the Korg (or any) styles you need-if you can record these as an mp3 and upload here, I can probably create what you need. I have hundreds of ckf and ac7 (Casio format) styles, I have created many custom styles I use regularly on the PX350, PX560 and older PX575 plus my more portable CTK6200 some of which are already uploaded here but are more complex funk and fusion styles. From simple to complex, not a problem. I just need to hear what you are describing.

• Like 1

Can't really make these into a style that is playable as an auto-rhythm, but what you can do is take the audio out/headphone out and connect to a computer audio input or usb audio adapter like the Behringer, Focusrite, Tascam or several others-record using "Audacity" a windows sound/music "wav" editor. Audacity allows you to record a monophonic or stereo audio sound or song and convert it to-among many other choices such as .ogg, aiff and several others-an mp3 file.  Once in audacity-you can cut and paste, compress, add effects, dozens of ways to edit that file. I find Audacity and the older "Goldwave" to be easier to work like this than the DAW programs which can also record your audio like this-but Audacity puts alot of editing control of a soundfile right on the one screen, very cool I think. Great for sample editing too, but that's a different topic!

• 2 months later...

Hey Rickie Lee-any progress on this? If easier for you-point me to some specific Youtube songs-I can nail auto-arranger styles for anything you might need. I wil upload these as .ckfs if you are still in the Casio world with your keyboard. Best arranger keyboard i ever owned-an older Generalmusic SK76-had sliders to change arranger parts in real-time, could create custom styles in the keyboard no problem-and actually changed the backup arrangement based on the chord you played-not just major-minor-but other chord qualities actually changed the entire arrangement! so i am used to playing around with backing keyboards and backing cranky musicians!